PDA

View Full Version : I just got a product from Amazon that was 3d printed

Roger Feeley
08-10-2021, 12:51 PM
I bought a little organized for my fret saw blades. The reviews were good and I’m tired of a bunch of little bags.
when it arrived, I saw that it was 3D printed. Well, I’ll be dipped. It may not be that new but it was new to me.

Kerf Jeweler’s Saw Blade Organizer and Dispenser (Blue)https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DMD84LH/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7J6CS7KEK5GCWCA6XBD3?_en coding=UTF8&psc=1

ChrisA Edwards
08-10-2021, 1:45 PM
Probably took 24+ hours to 3D print that.

My Prusa has been printing 24/7 for the past couple of weeks printing accessory items for my soon to arrive CNC. One print took 44 hours.

Roger Feeley
08-10-2021, 3:21 PM
So i paid $35 for the thing. That’s less than a dollar an hour after Amazon takes a cut and shipping.

eugene thomas
08-10-2021, 5:25 PM
my new cnc dust boot was 3d printer.... technology.....

Frank Pratt
08-10-2021, 10:06 PM
I bought a Milwaukee M18 battery holder from Amazon that was 3D printed. It was somewhere between $20 & $30, which I thought was fair. Quality looked good & it fit the batteries perfectly.

Chris Schoenthal
08-10-2021, 11:48 PM
Remember that you're not only paying for the printing, but the ingenuity and development.
Looks like a great idea and fills a need.
You think Apple phones actually cost over $1000 to produce? :D

Roger Feeley
08-11-2021, 7:53 AM
I bought a Milwaukee M18 battery holder from Amazon that was 3D printed. It was somewhere between $20 & $30, which I thought was fair. Quality looked good & it fit the batteries perfectly.

i got one of those too but from Etsy. I converted my triton respirator to run on the Milwaukee batteries. I’m still kind of sore at triton for dropping support.

Rich Engelhardt
08-11-2021, 9:04 AM
I picked up a baseplate for my compact Makita router that fits the track for the track saw from Etsy that looks like it was 3D printed also.

Malcolm McLeod
08-11-2021, 9:47 AM
Sourced after-market replacement dead-pedal for vehicle and it was 3D printed. It is significantly stronger the the OEM version, where clips on the back break off. ...No tellin' what's next!:cool:

There will certainly be a economic tipping point from printed to molded (roto-/injection-/cast/etc), but printing can easily fill in the low volume demand.

Roger Feeley
08-11-2021, 10:27 AM
I picked up a baseplate for my compact Makita router that fits the track for the track saw from Etsy that looks like it was 3D printed also.
wow, Rich,
I would love to know how that plate stands up to punishment. I really haven’t been following 3D printing that closely. At first it seemed a bit gimmicky. Folks printed a bunch of chess pieces and such. Now it appears to be much more useful.

Roger Feeley
08-11-2021, 11:03 AM
Low volume demand for sure. But better yet, the intermittent demand. It’s virtually free to keep the files around.

I think the thing that surprised me was how cheap my blade holder was. I would think that depreciation on the printer isn’t free.

George Yetka
08-11-2021, 11:36 AM
I love my printers. I bought 1 on a whim for $230 and figured I wouldnt get my money back but I wanted it. I have since purchased a second to double my speed. I have printed tons of stuff small parts bins, desiccant containers, vacuum adapters, battery holders, CNC machine accessories, CNC bit trays, Parts for home/office fixes, Toys for my daughter, Parts for reloading equipment, and more.

I recommend buying one. Ender 3 V2($250). Upgrade a couple parts for about($40) grab a couple spools and go.
If interested check out thingiverse.com for free downloads of files

These are what I bought and Like. A more expensive machine will get you smoother prints but these work great Not affiliate links

Machine
https://creality3d.shop/collections/ender-series-3d-printer/products/creality3d-upgraded-ender-3-v2-3d-printer?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6s2IBhCnARIsAP8RfAie7-ZGNcA9l22YA6C7ly6mdpU0m3U-bM8ykRP5APLatNoskJ0iYfwaAio-EALw_wcB
Upgrades
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082PFL8TX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWK8FRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWK8FRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Brian Elfert
08-11-2021, 12:31 PM
I hope this 3D printed stuff holds up better than some of the 3D printed crap made for high power rocketry. Some of the parts the plastic was just extruded in a round string that barely stuck to the row of string below it. Some of the parts were already coming apart before even being sold. Now, these parts would probably be five years old now and I know technology has improved greatly. That saw blade case doesn't even look 3D printed in the photos.

Dave Cav
08-11-2021, 2:50 PM
I've purchased a couple of 3d printed gun accessories from EBay. One was a magazine loading tool, and the other was a single shot adapter for a .22 rifle. Neither are highly stressed parts, and they seem to work fine.

One of the $200 Ender 3d printers in on my short list to get later this year.

Rich Engelhardt
08-11-2021, 4:36 PM
wow, Rich,
I would love to know how that plate stands up to punishment.I'll be sure to post my disappointment if it doesn't!

John K Jordan
08-11-2021, 10:32 PM
I hope this 3D printed stuff holds up better than some of the 3D printed crap made for high power rocketry. Some of the parts the plastic was just extruded in a round string that barely stuck to the row of string below it. Some of the parts were already coming apart before even being sold. Now, these parts would probably be five years old now and I know technology has improved greatly. That saw blade case doesn't even look 3D printed in the photos.

If parts are printed with inappropriate parameters they can be very weak. If each layer is not properly bonded to the last the person printing doesn't understand the basics and didn't set things up properly. Maybe trying to learn to do it right made his head hurt.

Some of the cheaper filament seems weaker than the high quality filament. If someone's goal is to make as much money as possible perhaps they skimp on the quality. And it's possible they bought a printer and started printing things without researching and experimenting with the parameters.

Also, the most commonly used hobby filament, PLA, is biodegradable and shouldn't be used where it might get wet. We use high quality PETG filament from Prusa for almost everything but jewelry. Strong and tough.

JKJ

Brian Elfert
08-11-2021, 10:38 PM
Plenty of people make their own 3D printed parts for high power rocketry. It is when you start selling the parts that you better be making them right. The rocketry association I am a member of is looking at 3D printed parts because of failures. It is a safety issue if a part fails under load. The rockets we fly are not the little Estes model rockets.

Kev Williams
08-12-2021, 12:45 PM
24 hours to print a $35 part? That works out to $1.45 an hour. The electricity to run the machine was probably 3x that...

I don't know much about 3D printing, but don't 'sophisticated' 3D printers exist that could print that thing in MUCH less than 24 hours, and several of them at once?

Brian Elfert
08-12-2021, 2:50 PM
$1.45 an hour in electricity would require a 240 volt connection based on average electricity prices. It certainly wouldn't be a hobby 3D printer with a 240 volt connection. This could very well just be something someone makes on the side to make a few bucks and they don't care if it takes 24 hours on their hobby 3D printer to print.