PDA

View Full Version : Squaring/Assembly Sequence

tim walker
08-10-2021, 10:45 AM
In a previous build I had some issues acquiring 90 deg corners. I think I have solved that problem as my miter saw was ever so slightly out of square. So now I am about to start assy again. There are two long pieces and 5 cross pieces. Dim are all 3-1/2" high and 1.5" thick. Lengths 71.5" and 35". What is your suggested sequence for assembly or does it matter? For this instance I have labeled parts 1-4 on drawing one and 5-7 on second drawing. My inclination is to assemble the perimeter and insure square, then assemble the cross pieces. Feedback appreciated.462710

Jim Becker
08-10-2021, 10:52 AM
I would do the perimeter first, hold/block it square and then install the inner components.They will insure it stays square after you remove the blocking/clamps. And doing this on the flattest surface possible will also help because you don't want to "glue in a twist".

George Bokros
08-10-2021, 11:18 AM
Jim is spot on. I would assemble exactly as Jim says.

Patrick Kane
08-10-2021, 1:03 PM
Are these butt joints? Personally, i like joinery of some form, because it tends to be self-squaring. This could be as simple as dadoes in the long pieces to accommodate the dividers. Well, and rebates for the outer pieces. Once you have it glued up in Jim's sequence, you can check for square and tweak the frame by running a long clamp from opposite corner to opposite corner.

tim walker
08-10-2021, 3:53 PM
They are butt joints with glue and pocket hole joinery

Lee Schierer
08-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Jim is suggesting the same way I would do it. Once you have everything assembled, be sure to measure the diagonal dimensions before the glue sets up to insure the frame is square. Then as you add each center piece use a carpenters square to insure they are perpendicular to the frame sides. Again check the diagonals after each glue up.