PDA

View Full Version : Hold down bolts just spinning in the concrete.

Bill Dufour
08-10-2021, 1:40 AM
I am adding some sesmic hold downs using Simpson HD titen bolts into the concrete foundation. These are the ones that look like a very coarse screw. 1/2" bolt into 1/2" hole. They go in slowly but they do not thread in they just grind away the concrete and have no pullout force. Simpson recommends a 1/2" hole for a 1/2" screw. I think I will have to give up and glue them in.
Bill D

PS: Simpson has never responded to several emails over the years.

Ole Anderson
08-10-2021, 8:32 AM
I find that red head style expansion bolts are the gold standard. I don't trust bolts that are designed to thread into concrete. My son is an ironworker and whenever they have to bolt columns or railings to concrete, that is what they use.

Lee Schierer
08-10-2021, 8:43 AM
Are you using an impact driver to put them in? They don't work well putting them in by hand.

Kev Williams
08-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Screw in anchors are great for keeping things from moving laterally, like redwood 2x4's screwed to concrete or holding shutters to a brick wall, but not enough grab to resist pulling forces. To resist pull-out some sort of expanding anchor is needed...

Ronald Blue
08-10-2021, 1:40 PM
I find that red head style expansion bolts are the gold standard. I don't trust bolts that are designed to thread into concrete. My son is an ironworker and whenever they have to bolt columns or railings to concrete, that is what they use.

I'm in agreement with Ole. I've installed Redheads before and they are very secure. It might still be possible to switch to a different style and salvage your holes.

Jerome Stanek
08-10-2021, 1:42 PM
Go and get some wedge lock bolts and be done with it

Mike Henderson
08-10-2021, 3:00 PM
I used construction epoxy on mine. Just make sure you blow out all the dust before you put the epoxy in.

Mike

Tom M King
08-10-2021, 5:34 PM
If you're in a hurry, Fastenal keeps Redheads in stock. Box stores have the anchoring epoxy where the bags of concrete are.

Jim Barkelew
08-11-2021, 11:05 AM
I have used a good number of readheads on various renovation projects and machine tie-down. I have a drawer full of extras ready. One disadvantage is they don't come out. When I moved my shop to another corner I had to cut them off flush with the slab. I also bought a good hammer drill that drills thru concrete like butter (30 seconds thru 4 in of cured concrete)

Jim

Lee Schierer
08-11-2021, 1:18 PM
Screw in anchors are great for keeping things from moving laterally, like redwood 2x4's screwed to concrete or holding shutters to a brick wall, but not enough grab to resist pulling forces. To resist pull-out some sort of expanding anchor is needed...

Have you ever tried to pull out a Tap-Con screw? When screwed into properly drill hole they cannot be pulled out without significant damage to the concrete

Kev Williams
08-12-2021, 1:07 PM
Yes I have, when screwing the redwood studs to my driveway when building this extension out from my now-garage shop-
-and I really didn't have to try all that hard...

That said, I love TapCon screws, but I'd never trust them to hold this down--

Bill Dufour
08-12-2021, 11:03 PM
I used a wedge anchor bolt in the hole. I had to pound it hard with a 2 pound sledge to expand the sleeve enough to get it to lock. I think I will just use the epoxy capsule anchors for the other holes as I slowly get it done. I think the epoxy I have is not expired? I like the capsules since there is no real waste unlike the gun stuff. I do not understand why the box stores do not carry it in small amounts.
Bill D
Bill D

Bill Dufour
08-12-2021, 11:08 PM
Problem solved; I was sold the wrong Hilti hold down studs. The ones I got are not screw drive into solid concrete. Instead you drill an overrsize hole and pump in liquid mortar then thread the stud into the liquid mortar.
I am not sure if the mortar is liquid epoxy, epoxy capsules or actual cement based mortar. More reasearch to follow.
Bill D

Tom M King
08-12-2021, 11:09 PM
If they would sell the mixing nozzles separately, you could get a lot more uses out of a tube, like the little duo-tubes of epoxy. For those, they sell bags of multiple mixing nozzles.

Bill Dufour
08-13-2021, 12:57 AM
Here is a link to the Hilti brand capsules. never seen them for sale except on the bay. Never really looked at real contractor stores. They seem to be sand and glue in a little sausage. You poke the whole thing in the hole then spin in the stud to mix it up.
Bill D.
https://www.hilti.com/c/CLS_FASTENER_7135/CLS_CAPSULE_ADHESIVE_ANCHORS_7135/r10391268

Rich Engelhardt
08-13-2021, 7:22 AM
I do not understand why the box stores do not carry it in small amounts.For the exact same reasons they don't carry primer/pvc cement in small "one use" containers. They have you over a barrel.
I had to glue one, 1 1/2" pvc pipe a week ago. (Thankfully, I'd kept the primer & glue we had to buy a month ago when we replaced dour sump pump.)

George Yetka
08-13-2021, 9:22 AM
Quick bolts or wedge anchors are my go to into solid concrete walls or floors
I like epoxy into brick or softer materials.
Drop-ins are for ceilings for running hangers in concrete, you can thread rod in and run to any height