PDA

View Full Version : Drill guides

Jack Frederick
08-09-2021, 12:49 PM
While I have a large floor mounted Delta drill press there are plenty of times where I would prefer to simply take my M18 Milwaukee drill to the work. Does anyone have experience/recommendations for these types of tools?

Paul F Franklin
08-09-2021, 1:41 PM
I have the milescraft guide (sold by lee valley and others) and it works well in terms of sliding pretty smoothly and allowing to set a depth stop. The main issue with that style guide is that it's top heavy, a bit unbalanced and awkward when you have a full size drill attached. That makes it a three handed job to hold the jig in the correct position while operating the drill. I try to clamp the base down if the situation allows or even get a helper to hold it, at least when the hole placement has to be dead on. Frankly, a lot of time I just use a piece of hardwood with sandpaper on the bottom and a hole drilled at the drill press to act as a guide.

Rich Engelhardt
08-10-2021, 5:39 AM
+1 for the Millscraft.
I "waxed" the guide rods with some Torque ceramic car finish & they are slicker than "stuff" going through a goose.

Compact drills make using it a lot easier - I use my Milwaukee 12V drill.

Eric Arnsdorff
08-12-2021, 12:09 AM
I have the Rockler guide and it is well made and works very well.

Hicks Benedict
08-12-2021, 6:15 AM
I have worked with quiet a number of drill press machines, one thing that makes them unit is that they use different bits that make all types of holes you may need. I'd recommend 18-990l laser drill because it's strong and works with all types of wood.

Mike Stelts
08-12-2021, 7:50 AM
I'm guessing you already thought of this; but, I just drill a hole through a piece of scrap on the drill press and use it to guide my hand drill when the holes need to be super square.

Rich Engelhardt
08-12-2021, 8:18 AM
I bought mine to use with a fly cutter.

Tom M King
08-12-2021, 8:31 AM
I have one that was bought 40 years ago. I forget the brand name. For that one, you had to take the chuck off, and mount the part that rides on the bars between the motor, and the chuck. I've used it many times. It's old enough that the dedicated drill for it is a black plastic Rockwell brand, from the few years when Rockwell bought out Porter-Cable.

I also use the Big Gator ones, when the old one is too big. They work better than you might think they would.

Ray Newman
08-12-2021, 9:27 AM
I have a very old drill guide, very similar to the one offered by Garrett Wade:

https://garrettwade.com/product/portable-drill-guide-jig

Find it very useful at times and on some tasks I have mounted (usually by double sided carpet tape) it to scrap stock so as to securely clamp it the work. I first bore a large hole is the scrap stock base to aid in aligning the bit.

I don't use it a great deal, but when needed nothing else in the shop can takes its place.

Bill Dufour
08-12-2021, 7:46 PM
Use an aircraft countersink cage with drill bit instead of a countersink. It will be depth limited. Probably max stroke of one inch or so. But, depth setting by 1/1000 inch is standard.
Bill D

Brian Holcombe
08-13-2021, 12:13 AM
I use my micro fence router base with a 43mm ring.

Alan Lightstone
08-13-2021, 8:35 AM
I use my micro fence router base with a 43mm ring.

Brian:

Can you go into a little more detail about that, as I have a Microfence router base, and this may work better than my Milescraft?

Brian Holcombe
08-13-2021, 9:22 AM
Happy to, but I’m not sure what is left to provide?

I've not used the Milescraft so I can’t provide any insight there.

Alan Lightstone
08-13-2021, 9:34 AM
Happy to, but I’m not sure what is left to provide?

I've not used the Milescraft so I can’t provide any insight there.

Just wondering what the 43mm ring is, and how the drill is attached to the MicroFence router base.

George Yetka
08-13-2021, 1:54 PM
Woodpecker had a nice albeit very expensive one on a recent one time tool. I used one for a couple holes 10 years ago. I couldnt tell you make or whether it was any good.

Brian Holcombe
08-13-2021, 4:32 PM
Just wondering what the 43mm ring is, and how the drill is attached to the MicroFence router base.

Call Rich, he will be your guide. We just set this one up recently for it.

Jim Barstow
08-13-2021, 4:36 PM
I’ve had many cases in the last 20 years where a drill guide would have been useful but never bought one … until Woodpecker’s came out with one as a new One-Time-Tool. It is much more expensive than any of the competitors but my experience with Woodpecker’s is that their tools are beautifully made. I got it a couple weeks ago and it didn’t disappoint. I’ve used it only once so far but the spring provides just the right amount of resistance and it is easy to line up. The Rockler guide would probably work close to as well but it isn’t as nice to look at.

Patrick Kane
08-14-2021, 1:21 PM
The Mafell guide for timber framers is probably top of the heap, but it is pricy.

I should start keeping a look out for the rockler guide or woodpecker guide. They both seem like nice designs. I have a drill press, but there are many occasions where it’s not practical to use a drill press. Or, where the hole’s location is too far for the drill press to reach. I would like to pick up a used Carlton radial drill press one day. They have like a 4-6’ span from the quill to the column.

Jack Frederick
08-14-2021, 2:37 PM
I was in town at Rockler yesterday. I bought their guide. The woodpecker looks really good due to the adjustable base, but at half the price of the WP I’m good with it. Have only tried a few holes but they came out clean and angle was consistent. It would be nice if there were angle stops for 22.5, 45, 90, but in a compact base I guess that is what is allowed. They have a centering base as an option, but for the cost I will need a specific reason to add that.

Stephen Rosenthal
08-14-2021, 2:59 PM
https://www.axminstertools.com/us/ujk-technology-drill-guide-with-10mm-chuck-106072?glCountry=US&glCurrency=USD

UJK Technology is/was a US-based company that had a website but it is no longer functional. I was tempted to buy their drill guide but was put off by the price. I see where it is apparently still being sold by Axminster Tools, but like many other products is out of stock.

Brian Holcombe
08-14-2021, 11:15 PM
The Mafell guide for timber framers is probably top of the heap, but it is pricy.

I should start keeping a look out for the rockler guide or woodpecker guide. They both seem like nice designs. I have a drill press, but there are many occasions where it’s not practical to use a drill press. Or, where the hole’s location is too far for the drill press to reach. I would like to pick up a used Carlton radial drill press one day. They have like a 4-6’ span from the quill to the column.

That one was going to be my choice but it can only be used with augers.

Jack Frederick
08-15-2021, 9:38 AM
Stephen, that unit, in blue, is available at Rockler. It is identical as far as I can see.

Prashun Patel
08-15-2021, 10:34 AM
You could also purchase bushings and make your own. I will say that even with the guide, there Are times they don’t fit. It is worth it - and not hard - to train yourself to freehand drill.

Peter Galbert has a neat trick with mirrors.

Stephen Rosenthal
08-15-2021, 11:51 AM
Stephen, that unit, in blue, is available at Rockler. It is identical as far as I can see.

Jack,

It looks very similar - priced the same as well, which is the reason I never took the plunge, so to speak (pun intended). It would cost me more than my old but perfectly tuned Craftsman 150 drill press. I simply wouldn’t use it enough to justify the cost. In the few instances that I might have used it, I turn the head of my drill press around, jerry-rig something and fly by the seat of my pants. So far, so good.