PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2021, 9:14 AM
9 Aug 2021

Greetings,
No woodworking this past week due to a medical procedure I had done. Today is the last day of "recovery" based on the doc's directions. I'm giving serious consideration to building a Moravian workbench for my shop, especially since I'm in true need of a decent workbench for working wood by hand tools. I've also given consideration to the Rob Cosman workbench as I don't need anything extravagant but I'm choking a bit on the price for a leg vice! I'm now in research mode for the parts to make my own leg vise on whatever bench I build.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Charles Coolidge
08-09-2021, 10:20 AM
Finished this router table extension and Icra LS Positioner install.

Bill Carey
08-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Had some fun in the shop with the grandson working on a box for his Mom.
462616 462617 462618 462619

Charles Taylor
08-09-2021, 11:08 AM
Began applying coats of urethane to my kitchen buffet project. Based on the time I have available vs. the time it takes to apply a coat and let it dry, this may take me the rest of the week or longer. Once I have this task complete, and the still-oversize top trimmed to size and fixed to the cabinet, this will bring me to...the halfway point of this marathon project. There's still a hutch I intend to build.

Jim Becker
08-09-2021, 2:43 PM
Dennis, for the leg vice, consider threading/tapping your own mechanism or use one of the relatively reasonable priced Acme threaded vice setups to work things out. There are some videos on the 'Tube where leg vices came into being. If my memory is correct, Jay Bates did one, but I could be wrong about that.

This past week, my "bigger" project was to finish up the renovations on the 10x16 backyard shed here at our new property. It needed new doors and some reinforcement inside where a previous owner didn't consider that it might be nice to have some kind of header over a wide door, rather than a single top plate that was literally joined in the middle of the doorway. :) Mission accomplished and the only remaining work to do is to paint the back of the building...I ran out of paint and daylight on Saturday for both. This shed will continue to house the lawn and garden stuff as well as provide some auxiliary storage space for my slabs, etc., at the moment. That means that the lawn and garden stuff doesn't have to be a factor when I put up up my shop building, either. :) Oh, and the building now matches the house colors which is a nice thing for those of us who are somewhat, um...anal...

462640 462641

The other thing that happened is that I picked up a cabinet saw to use in my temporary shop...that one project already done convinced me that I really would go nuts without some form of table saw. So I took one off the hands of Brother Prashun who coincidentally listed it for sale in the classifieds here early last week. My daughter's boyfriend (and she) helped me pick it up yesterday in New Joisey and I put it back together last night. It will do the job I need it to do until I can get back to a slider and I may keep it for convenience then if space allows since it's a quality machine and in really well-cared-for condition. I have to consider re-juggling the layout in the gara....err...temporary shop...to best utilize this and account for its table height and I'm not going to rush that process. It may go into the center of the space as it's just proud of the CNC machine height, but lower than the bandsaw/router table setup that's there now. I gotta think about it a little more.

Hopefully, this week I can also finish up (literally) that side table I built about a week ago and get it in service. The CNC will also come to life this week as I have a few things to do.

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2021, 3:01 PM
Charles Taylor,
You need to try the Target Coatings EM8000cv Conversion Varnish. Spray it, wait 1 hour, lightly sand, dust off, spray again, wait 1 hour, spray again, next day, install. This stuff is awesome and super tough!!

Todd Trebuna
08-09-2021, 4:17 PM
My first ever grand-daughter is a week old today. Born last Monday at 8:26 to my youngest daughter. I spent a couple days, putting together a few rattles for her to enjoy. Hourglass is walnut, Ash and Cherry. Elephant and Alligator are Ash. Finished in Flax Seed oil. 462648 462645462646462647

Charles Taylor
08-09-2021, 4:20 PM
Charles Taylor,
You need to try the Target Coatings EM8000cv Conversion Varnish. Spray it, wait 1 hour, lightly sand, dust off, spray again, wait 1 hour, spray again, next day, install. This stuff is awesome and super tough!!

Sounds fantastic. I'll make a note of it. Thanks!

Paul F Franklin
08-09-2021, 7:33 PM
Another week with no real woodworking, unless you count putting in a new mailbox post :rolleyes: I chose a pretty hot week weather-wise to excavate by hand around the perimeter of one portion of our deck so I could remove the trim boards, install some hardware cloth extending a foot or so into the ground and replace the trim boards, followed by backfilling the trench with gravel. Every year it seems we get critters of one variety or another moving in under the deck. Sometimes skunks, sometimes possums, sometimes muskrat. This spring I resorted to laying tube sand bags down to block access, but I'm hoping the hardware cloth will prevent them from getting in there without the "classy" tube sand motif.

I did finish the sketchup model of my console bookcase for the office and will start milling lumber as time permits. I still don't have a ship date for the kitchen cabinets I've ordered, but appliances and fixtures have started dribbling in. My project manager side has started making and sequencing lists of tasks that need to be done for that project so I can hopefully have all the necessary materials on hand and do things in the most efficient order to minimize disruption.