PDA

View Full Version : Found the Ryobi String trimmer design weak point

Lee Schierer
08-06-2021, 4:48 PM
I've had a Ryobi String edge trimmer/weed wacker for several years that gets used maybe a dozen times each summer. Yesterday I went out to trim up the ditch and other areas around the yard. About the 3rd or 4th time I depressed the trigger to turn it on, the trigger was really stiff to push in and the trimmer didn't go very fast. After checking with Ryobi about the 5 year warranty, they told me I would have to drive 60 miles each way to a Home Depot tool rental place just to have it checked out. If it could be repaired it would probably have to be left there which would require another 120 mile round trip. Sooo, I pulled out the 12 screws holding the plastic case together and took a look at the switch. No visible signs of damage, but the design of the trigger is pushing down and sideways on a long plastic plunger for the speed control switch. There was no lubrication on the plastic even though the contact point of the plunger had to slide about 1/4" along the trigger as it was depressed and released. Not a good idea as something inside the switch has broken. A check of the web showed that ereplacements.com has the exact switch for $20, so I ordered two because if one broke another one is likely to fail as well. The switches should be here in 3-4 days.

I looked at buying just the detachable handle with the battery holder and switch and it doesn't appear to be sold separately.

Terry Wawro
08-11-2021, 8:28 PM
I have a Ryobi backpack blower and used to have a Ryobi string trimmer too. They both work fine but both suffer from the same design flaw. The flexible plastic gas lines are just pressure fitted over the metal input receivers to the carb. Over time they vibrate off. It always in an area that is impossible to reach. You have to disassemble it a bit and push them back on.

Myk Rian
08-12-2021, 11:49 AM
Ethanol free fuel will help those parts from hardening. It's $4.20 gal around here.

Lee Schierer
08-12-2021, 4:18 PM
My switches arrived yesterday. I took the handle apart and installed the new switch, it works, but doesn't shut off completely. The old one did the same thing occasionally. I may have to shorten the plunger a little. Space is tight so use the smallest wire closed end connectors you can find that will fit the two wires you need to connect. Be careful if you do this repair as the wires tend to jump in between the bosses for the screws and get pinched.