PDA

View Full Version : xacta fence 1 friction pad question for newb

Thomas Charles Williams
08-05-2021, 7:21 PM
Just bought a Jet Jtas-10xl-1 cabinet saw with the original xacta fence. I can see where the fence is rubbing the table a little to the right of the blade. I got a parts blow up from jet and I can see where I'm missing a pad on the fence, I can't find the part online, haven't tried Jet. Any idea what thickness(1/8?) . Also the side table to the right is a little lower than the wing, I can't figure how to level it without removing the fence. Total newb here, but I'm almost 60. Upgrading from Ryobi bt 300 that I bought new many years ago. Btw, the pads on the front( user side) of the fence seem good. Can I just raise the front of the fence with the nylon screws once I put the rear pad on?

Thanks
Tom

Chris Luke
08-05-2021, 9:49 PM
Just bought a Jet Jtas-10xl-1 cabinet saw with the original xacta fence.
I have that saw and love it. Some quirks, but nothing unmanagable.

I can see where the fence is rubbing the table a little to the right of the blade. I got a parts blow up from jet and I can see where I'm missing a pad on the fence, I can't find the part online, haven't tried Jet. Any idea what thickness(1/8?) .

If you mean the pad at the back of the fence, the thickness doesn't matter all that much, but yes it's about 1/8". I would try Jet's parts store, it has been responsive for me, but failing that some sort of HDPE slippery material would do the job just fine.

Also the side table to the right is a little lower than the wing, I can't figure how to level it without removing the fence.

Do you mean the cast iron wing, or the "wooden" extension wing? The wooden one is supported between the front and rear rails with screws/nuts. Technically you would need to remove the front fence rail tube to reach the heads, but I've found you can just about hold the heads stationary and manage the nuts from behind.

If you mean the cast iron wing, that's quite a bit more involved and yes, I would recommend removing the rail tube, even though that means a bit of time getting it square again aferwards.

Total newb here, but I'm almost 60. Upgrading from Ryobi bt 300 that I bought new many years ago.

I don't know that saw but suspect the Jet is quite an upgrade from it!

Btw, the pads on the front( user side) of the fence seem good. Can I just raise the front of the fence with the nylon screws once I put the rear pad on?

Yes, but to a limit which should be fairly obvious from looking at it. Good luck!

Chris

Thomas Charles Williams
08-05-2021, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes the pad at the back of the fence. And yes the wooden extension, not the wing. I thought it was just screwed into the wood, I’ll do a better inspection tomorrow.

Chris Luke
08-07-2021, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes the pad at the back of the fence. And yes the wooden extension, not the wing. I thought it was just screwed into the wood, I’ll do a better inspection tomorrow.

When mine arrived new, to install the wooden extension the instructions said to drill holes in the sides where needed for machine screws, washers and nuts. I slightly oversized the holes I drilled to allow for adjustment; of course, an individual may decide to use wood screws instead and that is perhaps what happened with yours.

Thomas Charles Williams
08-08-2021, 4:44 PM
Chris, mine has nuts on the back, not hard to adjust. My fence doesn’t slide as smoothly as I would like; it even catches on the miter grooves on the top. I can’t move the nylon screws on the t, to raise it. I might just add some formica to both ends of the fence. My brother in law pointed out that I mostly would not be moving the fence very often