PDA

View Full Version : Cutting mirror glass/How to?

Mike Wilkins
08-05-2021, 12:57 PM
My last attempt at cutting mirror glass resulted in a mess and liberal use of some 4-letter words. I have cut regular glass with no problems.
Do you cut from the reflective side or from the back side.

Lee Schierer
08-05-2021, 2:33 PM
I salvaged a large mirror made of 1/4" glass from a bathroom remodel project I did in our house. I needed 3 panels cut from the piece for the new medicine cabinet doors. I took the large piece to a glass shop and they cut the three pieces for just a few bucks and gave me the scrap. We did the same thing when my son needed a large mirror cut down.

They did the cuts from the front side as I recall.

Jerry Bruette
08-05-2021, 3:46 PM
I ruined about $40 worth of front surface mirror one year making kaleidoscopes for Christmas presents. Came very close to not having enough mirror left to finish the project. From then on I either bought it cut to size or let the local stained glass shop cut it for a few bucks.

The shop I bought the sheets of mirror from showed me how to cut it and even let me make a few cuts but it turned into a complete disaster at home. It's possible their professional equipment made the difference but I wasn't going to spend that type of money for the equipment.

Stan Calow
08-05-2021, 4:38 PM
You need a special cutter for mirrors, don't you? The tools looks the same but there's something about the angle of the cutting blade? I have one but haven't used it yet.

Perry Holbrook
08-05-2021, 5:32 PM
You should be able to easily cut the mirror with a carbide glass scoring tool. Cut on the front and paint on a little 3-in-1 oil on the line to be scored before you use the tool. The biggest mistakes most make in scoring glass is pressing too hard on the cutter (7 lbs pressure is usually good) and never go over any scored area twice. Other techniques may be required when working with glass thicker than 1/4".

Perry

Alex Zeller
08-06-2021, 7:03 AM
You always score the glass side. Like Perry said, you never score the glass twice as you'll ruin the cutter and the glass will not break on the score. You don't want to use a glass cutter without some sort of lubricant (I use kerosine but most any oil will work). The actual score should be nice and thin, well defined. I prefer the Fletcher brand glass cutters. For plate glass and mirrors the standard cutter will work just fine (the Fletcher cutters have the end painted gold) but be aware that they do make specialty glass cutters for things like stained glass. When in doubt, go to a glass shop. Not only will they cut it but they will sand the sharpness off the edge if you ask for a reasonable amount.

Rod Sheridan
08-07-2021, 8:34 AM
Aside from the great advice above, snap the glass immediately after scoring, it makes a difference….Rod

Perry Holbrook
08-07-2021, 1:14 PM
Yes, scoring the glass actually creates heat in the score that makes it break out easier. Also, the reason for the oil is two fold, it lubes the scoring wheel and axle but it also flows ever so slightly into the score line, that also helps the break out...Perry