PDA

View Full Version : Lutz File & Tool Co.

steven c newman
08-03-2021, 3:09 PM
Ok, bought a $2 tub of screwdrivers last week...
The hammer got tossed out, as did a few cheapo plastic handled things....which left these. There are 2 Nicholson USA Smooth Mill files in there....and this..
Marked as a Lutz File & Tool Co. of Cinti, OH.

Metal part(s) of the handle..
Looks just like a normal triangular file....but..
There is a 30 degree bevel on the end....and it fits the dovetails I do.....may keep this sharpened up, may have some work for it later?

Apparently Lutz Tool Co. is still in operation. :D

Andrew Pitonyak
08-04-2021, 8:29 AM
interesting, a sharpened file. Wonder if that is factory ground.

steven c newman
08-04-2021, 9:56 AM
Might be a use for old, worn out Triangular files?

File does have a circular logo...that I am still trying to read.....beyond a .....smooth cut.......

Have 5 drawers to build...may give this a test drive, then....

Price is right...

Dan Hulbert
08-04-2021, 1:44 PM
I inherited a large number of triangular and files. They were old, rusty and dull, but they make great tools. I have one just like the one you have. Smaller ones make great birdcage awls. I even had enough to make a small set of firmer chisels. Grinding was done with my belt sander with frequent dips in water. Tangs come off with a Dremel or angle grinder. I even turned a couple into gravers to try my hand at engraving (found out it's not my thing).

Old worn out files are just waiting for a new application.

PS:
Old planer blades also make great knives. Decent steel, easy to work with typical shop tools, and satisfying to use after customized to your hand.

steven c newman
08-13-2021, 10:11 PM
Was reminded I had another tool by Lutz..
Just need to find the rest of the bits....they have a ball catch to keep them in the handle.....Used this thing this evening..changing out handles ...