PDA

View Full Version : Wait a minute. Is General back?

Gary Herrmann
08-03-2021, 1:43 PM
I admit. I'm a Canadian General fanboy (1 have 4 of their machines). I just went out to the site and saw their General Commercial line of tools. Some of them look awfully familiar - TS, jointer and DP.

Does anyone know where they're made? I can't seem to find that piece of info on the interwebs.

I emailed them and left a vmail, so if I find out before someone answers, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

Gary

Doug Garson
08-03-2021, 3:45 PM
Is this the website you are referring to? If so, it's a completely different company I have one of their dowelling jigs from the 80's so sadly I don't think General Canada is back.
https://generaltools.com/

Gary Herrmann
08-03-2021, 4:52 PM
It is, Doug. Their "new" model 480 jointer looks identical (aside from color and badging) to my Canadian flag 480.

Doug Garson
08-03-2021, 6:23 PM
Are you sure Gary? I don't see any power tools on the website I linked, I did see the dowel jig I have from the 80's, looks like it hasn't changed, also recognize a sharpening jig I have.

Andrew Hughes
08-03-2021, 6:28 PM
If General were making machines again in Canada they would boast. That would be great to have manufacturing again in Canada or USA even Mexico was looking like a contender against China. Nothing has changed.

David Powell
08-03-2021, 7:37 PM
The website that Gary was referring to is https://generaltoolsusa.com.

Doug Garson
08-03-2021, 8:05 PM
Thanks Dave, that appears to be the old General but I think under new ownership since the original company went bankrupt in, I think, 2018. Seems a little questionable that they are using both the General and General International brand names as that used to separate the Canadian made models from the imports. As Andy said, if they were manufacturing in Canada or the US, I'm sure they would make that clear, I suspect all their manufacturing is overseas. Might still be good stuff, just questionable business practice.

steve swantee
08-03-2021, 9:31 PM
All manufacturing is overseas according to the website.

Richard Coers
08-03-2021, 10:22 PM
Looks the same situation as South Bend and Oliver

Jim Becker
08-04-2021, 9:31 AM
Brand/Company names are a valuable commodity these days and they can bring big-bucks to folks owning the names when they sell them.

Aaron Rosenthal
08-04-2021, 4:16 PM
My information is that the "Old" General International is gone - the name is now used by a Canadian company but the tools are not of the same quality.
The same person told me that the actual machinery is still made, but under the Magnum name, and is sold by KMS Tools here in Canada.
Now, I'm giving you a salesman's information, but he sure seemed to know my mortiser, giving mew setup tips, so take it as you will.
My new saw will be neither a Magnum nor a General, but a Sawstop.

Frank Pratt
08-04-2021, 7:29 PM
My information is that the "Old" General International is gone - the name is now used by a Canadian company but the tools are not of the same quality.

No sadly, the company is no longer Canadian. The story behind the demise of General International is almost Byzantine, with plenty of back stabbing, betrayal & double crossing. I got the long version from the Western Canadian sales rep that I knew, but don't remember the details accurately enough to retell the tale.

Gary Herrmann
08-05-2021, 11:19 AM
A gentleman from General replied to me. They are building their commercial tools in China and Vietnam. Shoot.