PDA

View Full Version : Pens

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Well just got back to town after a road trip for 3 days. Took 5 pens with me just to show people what I did and sold them all for $20 each. I have orders now for 8 more slimline pen and pencil sets at $45 a set. Seems the walnut went over with a bang. One Zebrawood set, one Bocate set and 6 walnut sets. Kind of exciting and it's a start.

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Congrats, Bernie! Man, at that rate, you'll be on your way to some magnanimous improvements to your shop!!!:D :cool:

Corey Hallagan
01-11-2006, 11:09 PM
That is very kewl Bernie. I was thinking of the same thing. When I can do a decent pen, I will go on the road and visit my clients and I can pick up some good cash I think.

Corey

Keith Christopher
01-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Go bernie !!!!!!! rock on !!! I love turning pens.

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Sheesh! Not even two weeks and the guy goes professional on us. Gotta be a record.

John Hart
01-12-2006, 7:21 AM
I'm jealous. I either do lousy work or I don't know how to sell stuff.:confused: I should try harder maybe. :)

Way to go Bernie!!!!

Jeremiah Jordan
01-12-2006, 8:04 AM
Two things John, set up a homepage about yourself and your turnings and try selling it on Ebay.

You need any help with either, let me know.

Jeremiah

Keith Christopher
01-12-2006, 9:20 AM
Again Bernie congrats!!!1

John:

I'll give ya my findings about retail (BTW 5 of the 8 have sold)

1) you need a good presentation to sell retail (seems common sense but so true)
2) You need a logo somewhere, people gravitate toward something with a logo
3) Pen boxes !!! People in retail are not willing to shell out 40-80$ for a pen and have a plastic tube or cloth sleeve with it.
4) only put your PERFECT ones out, no flaws no voids, all pieces flush when together.
5) SHINY, they need to be SHINY (like a fishing lure I guess)
6) Variety, lots to choose from.

These things make sense but getting a store to buy them will take all these things, if you have them you can sell them. I'm no expert just sharing my first retail experience in the WW business. Up until now it's all been comission/word-of-mouth.

Keith

Ron Ainge
01-12-2006, 2:42 PM
it sound like you have done real well with your pens, now we need to see some pictures of them so we can see your good works.

Keith Burns
01-12-2006, 6:01 PM
Way to go Bernie:) :) Two weeks and you've made enough to pay for your lathe:D I see a PM headed you way before long:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2006, 8:15 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it. The wife said last night "I suppose now you will be wanting one of those 500 lb. lathes." I said "and your point is." She just rolled her eyes, smiled and walked off.

Anyway here are the pens that sold. Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. I appreciate it.

Dick Parr
01-12-2006, 8:19 PM
Great looking pens Bernie and Congrats on the sale. Hope it's the first of many.;)

John Hart
01-12-2006, 8:24 PM
....She just rolled her eyes, smiled and walked off..

Well...at least she smiled. :)

Bill Stevener
01-12-2006, 9:32 PM
Good for you Bernie.
And what road, did you take???? You can just PM me or there will be a traffic jam in the morning.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Highway 83 Bill. You should be ok not much traffic.

Ernie Nyvall
01-14-2006, 8:45 AM
I'm jealous. I either do lousy work or I don't know how to sell stuff.:confused: I should try harder maybe. :)

Well uhhh, you might change your approach of "If you'll pay the shipping, you can have this". Know whut I mean.:D

CONGRATS ON THE SALE BERNIE!!!

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks again for all the kind words. I appreciate it. Got a couple more requests for pen & pencil sets last night. Guess I had better get with it.

Bob Noles
01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Bernie,

Be careful not to turn another "hobby" into another "job" if you know what I mean :eek: :D

Now... get out there and start turning..... I just finished another quick pen while drinking my 2nd cup this morning. :p