PDA

View Full Version : Sign material

Jebediah Eckert
08-02-2021, 10:17 PM
I tried the search, no luck. I tried an internet search, too confusing….

I want to make an outdoor sign with a router, painted, 1” thick or so. The sign would be maybe 12” x 24” or so. My neighbor has one and it definitely isn’t wood. It is about as heavy as wood. On the internet I came up with HdU, whatever that is.

So what do people use, and just as important, where can I buy it? I don’t mind if I had to buy more or a bigger sheet, it will get used.

andy bessette
08-03-2021, 1:25 AM
MDO is what many use for painted signs.

Joe Pelonio
08-03-2021, 7:56 AM
High Density Urethane, available at sign supplies, such a Grimco, Nepco, General Plastics.

Jim Becker
08-03-2021, 9:25 AM
HDU is a pleasure to work with, especially for dimensional signage. It's expensive for sure, but designed for the job. That said, how you plan on making the sign should play into your material selection. If painted, PVC or MDO like Andy mentioned, are more readily available and will work fine. You can get PVC, at least in 3/4" at the home centers. MDO (an exterior plywood product with a smooth coating) likely would need to come from a sheet goods supplier, although many full service commercial lumber yards can order it in for you if they don't carry it.

PVC and HDU may require additional support, depending on the size of the signage, but at 12x24, that's not likely the case.

Keith Outten
08-03-2021, 10:41 AM
PVC is a good choice but Solid Surface material will last longer outside than any other material I know of. It routes well and will accept any type of paint. Try solidsurface.com for a source, you might also find a local counter top shop that will give you their scraps.

Jebediah Eckert
08-03-2021, 6:58 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Keith, is the PVC the same stuff Jim mentioned you can get at the home centers? Like the white trim board stuff they sell?

Also is HdU, just HDU? I thought I read something about different “poundage,” density, or something like that. Maybe a 10, 20, and 30?

Jim Becker
08-03-2021, 9:01 PM
The PVC is pretty much what you see at the home center. There are different brands and there may be minor differences, but in general, they are all similar.

HDU does come in different densities/weights. 15, 18 and 20 pound are popular weights for sign work. Other densities are sometimes used for modeling, etc. I like how the 18 and 20 lb material cuts on my CNC...heavier, but finer grain.

Mel Fulks
08-03-2021, 9:37 PM
I didn’t know til today that the name of Extira had been changed. I used it about 12 years ago to make outdoor “pierced imbricated” panels.
They have not been repainted and still look good.

Jebediah Eckert
08-03-2021, 9:47 PM
Thanks. There is a Grimco about 45 minutes from me. They might just be wholesale but I will call. The other places Joe mentioned to buy the HDU might just be wholesale also?

Joe Pelonio
08-04-2021, 7:56 AM
Most sign supplies are wholesale only, but most plastics supply places are also retail.

Ross Moshinsky
08-05-2021, 12:06 AM
Go to Home Depot and buy a sheet of PVC. You're probably going to screw up your first sign. PVC is WAY cheaper than HDU.

Jebediah Eckert
08-05-2021, 7:42 AM
Thanks Ross, I think that is what I will do. I was hoping to get 1” material, but 3/4” is all you can get at HD that I see.

Jim Becker
08-05-2021, 8:46 AM
You can always laminate two pieces to get a thicker, sturdier construction. :)

Jebediah Eckert
08-05-2021, 12:14 PM
I thought of that but not sure it is worth the hassle for me. I don’t really like the feel of the pvc stuff at Hd.

My neighbor found the receipt for the sign she had made, it is made of HDU. It just looks and feels more like painted wood then I think PVC will. I have given up on my quest to find HdU and will probably just make it out of wood like I have done in the past.

Now to figure out the best thing to topcoat the paint with for outdoor use…….

Jim Becker
08-05-2021, 7:53 PM
See if you can get a scrap of HDU from a local sign shop...I managed to do that awhile ago, although it wasn't someone local and was a 'Creeker who I visited while traveling. :)

You don't top coat paint for outdoor use...use exterior acrylic paints. :)

Jebediah Eckert
08-05-2021, 10:37 PM
Thanks Jim.

I just thought a top coat over everything. There will be numerous colors and I don’t want to have to buy quarts of exterior paint for each. Plus some of the sign will be natural wood.

Jim Becker
08-06-2021, 9:01 AM
Thanks Jim.

I just thought a top coat over everything. There will be numerous colors and I don’t want to have to buy quarts of exterior paint for each. Plus some of the sign will be natural wood.

You can get "sample sizes" of Behr exterior paint at Home Depot. You may also find small containers of "basic" colors at HD, Lowes, True Value, etc., of exterior colors...hobby/craft focused products. There really isn't a coating you can put on to accomplish much in the way of "protection" for the paint. You'll also find that some colors fade faster than others. I remember TR (Roger MacMunn) mentioning that in a sign class I took with him awhile back, but forget the specifics.

Jebediah Eckert
08-06-2021, 10:01 AM
I didn’t know you could get exterior smaller sizes. Good to know.

Now what would you do for the wood portions of the sign? Maybe spray the whole board before routing?

Jim Becker
08-06-2021, 1:14 PM
Wood is a tough choice for an outdoor sign because you have to account for weather/insect resistance as well as the fact that no matter what you put on it, it's going to turn grey, sometimes faster than you might prefer. Many signmakers do faux wood using CNC and HDU. I believe that Roger uses western red cedar or something like that for the wood signs he does when HDU isn't acceptable. The conundrum here is that the "better" outdoor finishes for wood are penetrating oil products like Sikkens but those might not be the best when paint is going on features. So maybe sealing with resin from Total Boat, West Systems, etc., may need to be considered. I'm not totally sure about that, however. I didn't realize that you were not painting the whole surface.

Jebediah Eckert
08-06-2021, 1:29 PM
Thanks Jim, it’s an every changing design…..but my parents have switched it a couple of times. We will take it indoors for the winter. If I have to make it again in 4-5 years so be it.

Erik Loza
08-11-2021, 12:09 PM
Late to this conversation but have a look at Tricoya MDF: https://tricoya.com/projects/
We did a few projects with it at the architectural millwork firm I was at and it's the real deal as far as weather resistance. OP, if you are in CT, it looks like they have dealership near you: https://www.rexlumber.com/locations/south-windsor-ct/

Hope this helps,

Erik

Jebediah Eckert
08-11-2021, 2:22 PM
Hey Erik Thanks.

I will try them, only about a 1/2 hour away.