PDA

View Full Version : Conference table underway/pics

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-16-2003, 9:29 PM
My arc template post is in regard to the rather large boat shaped conferenc table I'm working on. I took some 'in progress' pics..

First is the twelve 5x5 rough legs after epoxy filling...ready to sand.

Since the top is boat shaped, I wanted the base to at least look close to boat shaped...so it'll be three stand-alone bases which will be joined together at delivery with aprons between. After much thought, I decided the easiest way to get the boat shape was to cut angles on the faces of the legs. So the legs have a combination of 3, 4, and 6 degree bevels cut on the face (second pic). I also cut the legs down so that all the faces on the outside of the table are equal (no small trick on the jointer, BTW). I could've cut the mortises on the big mortiser with blocking to hold the angles, but decided the router would be simpler. As you can see, I like poly glue (Gorilla) for mortise and tenon joints. I'll use yellow glue to add corner blocking, and plastic resin for the top.

The result is an end section (3rd pic, in clamps) that has the end apron 26" or so long, and the opposing cross apron 38". There are two of these sections which will join to the middle section that has 45" cross aprons (last pic) with the mentioned 'extra' aprons...resulting in a 26' long base. I'll add cross bracing to what you see in these pics.

My veneer should be ready tomorrow so I can start the top...

Lee Schierer
07-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Ever consider boat building KC? That table looks like it is going to be pretty heavy duty. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Keep us infomred.

Dave Anderson
07-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Hi K.C.

I am always impressed with your work. Your ability to build LARGE SCALE furniture like this latest table is amazing to me.

So others can appreciate the scale you work on - this 28' table will be as long as my entire shop. :eek:

How do you plan to transport the finished product?

Please keep us posted on progress - thanks for sharing.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-17-2003, 10:17 PM
You da man!, Kirk. I'm always impressed with your projects and your creativity in getting things done. Look forward to more pics.

Jim Becker
07-18-2003, 8:55 AM
I'm looking forward to this project progressing...it's an impressive one!