PDA

View Full Version : Dricore - again

Bob Marino
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Can this product support the weight of a car in the garage?

Bob

Russ Massery
01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
I don't think so.

Charlie Plesums
01-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Their web site says 5500 pounds per square foot, but a car may still overload it.

Bob Stroman
01-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Cars don't provide the point loads that high heels provide. However, you have to drive on to it so you may have an issue at the edge unless you provide a little border wedge/ramp. Good luck! I was arranging 2x4 sleepers and plywood on my shop floor today. The stairs to the basement are only 48" wide so I just have to support motorcycles that jump in. :D

This following text is from the FAQ at DriCore dot com. http://www.dricore.com/en/efaq.htm#Can%20DRICore%20subfloor%20panels%20suppo rt%20heavy%20objects

Can DRICore subfloor panels support heavy objects?
The DRIcore subfloor panels can support over 5,724 lbs. per square foot, as tested by an independent lab, so heavy furniture and equipment like pool tables, weight sets and pianos are no problem.

Don Middleton
01-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi Bob - I don't know the answer to your question, but I forwarded it to my contact at DriCore. I've been extremely happy with the floor in my garage shop, but we also don't have any aspirations to _ever_ get a car in there again ;-). As noted earlier, their specs would appear to indicate that supporting a car might work, depending of course on the car (Humvee?).

BTW, thanks again for the excellent guidance and help on the Festool system. It's superb - a revolution in woodworking. The table, saws, sander, dust collection - all of it - is simply wonderful.

I'll report on what I hear on the floors.

cheers - don

Don Middleton
01-13-2006, 8:52 PM
A response from DriCore:

"The panels can hold approx. 22000 lbs per panel therefore the weight of a car will not be an issue. I would recommend anchoring every 3rd panel of every other row to the concrete to allow for a more stable floor."

Sounds like load might be less of an issue than the panels sliding about. I haven't had any problems like this myself, but plan to squeeze some cork strips around the perimeter should they develop.

cheers - don

Bob Marino
01-13-2006, 9:37 PM
A response from DriCore:

"The panels can hold approx. 22000 lbs per panel therefore the weight of a car will not be an issue. I would recommend anchoring every 3rd panel of every other row to the concrete to allow for a more stable floor."

Sounds like load might be less of an issue than the panels sliding about. I haven't had any problems like this myself, but plan to squeeze some cork strips around the perimeter should they develop.

cheers - don

Thanks all.
Don, yes, I did a little checking today and they said it would support a car's weight, but to anchor them as you've stated. I think I am going to use it - seems reasonably priced and has to provide way more underfoot comfort on a concrete slab.
Glad you like the tools!

Bob

Don Middleton
01-13-2006, 10:38 PM
It's a huge improvement in my garage/shop. It's much more comfortable underfoot and provides some very welcome insulation as well. Another nice benefit is when you're sliding sheet goods around the edges don't get nicked up. Highly recommended and, at a buck or so a SF, affordable.

G'luck!

don