PDA

View Full Version : Smoothers smaller than no 4

Jason Buresh
08-02-2021, 10:59 AM
So far I have amassed a fleet of hand planes in sizes 4-8, plus a few blocks planes.I have not seen any planes locally in size 3, 2, and I won't even try to find a 1. How often do you guys reach for a 3? Or even a no 2 for those that have them? Do you use them more than a 4?I don't really feel at a disadvantage with a 4, so I am assuming that's why they were so popular.I have been thinking about picking up a wood river no 1 for my wife. She doesn't have much motor function of her right hand due to a stroke she suffered at birth. She has been showing more interest in spending shop time with me, and so far the easiest plane for her to use is my block plane, because she can grip it with one hand, but it also isn't the most comfortable to use on faces of boards. I figured the no 1 would be perfect for her because of her smaller hands it's small enough to be gripped with one hand, and the tote would keep her hand from slipping as she planes.

Jerome Andrieux
08-02-2021, 12:04 PM
She doesn't have much motor function of her right hand due to a stroke she suffered at birth. She has been showing more interest in spending shop time with me, and so far the easiest plane for her to use is my block plane, I because she can grip it with one hand, but it also isn't the most comfortable to use on faces of boards. I figured the no 1 would be perfect for her because of her smaller hands it's small enough to be gripped with one hand, and the tote would keep her hand from slipping as she planes.

I find pulling easier than pushing with one hand for a small planes.
A big #7 actually handles itself.

Smoothing will be difficult anyhow but I would buy or build a Japanese smoother. A hock krenov style blade makes that an easy project.

Shannon Brantley
08-02-2021, 12:28 PM
I've got a #3 and #2. I think it depends on the size of the projects you do as to if you use them. I love both of the smaller ones. The #3 was my first smoother so I got used to it early on. Lately I reach for whichever is sharpest, to be honest. Luckily I've been too busy to sharpen. The #2 is like a handled block plane to me. Got a great deal on it from a Creeker years ago or I probably wouldn't have one now. I don't think the going price for them is worth it, honestly. But I do enjoy using it.

Doug Weiner
08-02-2021, 12:57 PM
I wonder if a Japanese plane would be a good alternative.

Stephen Rosenthal
08-02-2021, 1:26 PM
I don’t have a #2, but do have a #3 and use it for smaller projects. My #4 gets a lot more use though. The only time I handled or have even seen a #1 was at a Lie Nielsen hand tool event. Struck me as being more a toy or display (i.e., collectible) piece than a functional tool. A #2 sounds good for your wife, but a #3 for considerably less money would probably work.

Frederick Skelly
08-02-2021, 7:15 PM
I have a Wood River #1 and I like it. But I recently saw that LV now sells a #1 that might be easier for your wife. LINK (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/bench/111077-veritas-bevel-up-number-1-plane). Might be worth a look, especially since LV will let you return it if it doesnt work for her. It looks to be within a quarter inch of the same length as the WR.

I also have a #2 and a #3 that I use regularly on smaller projects.

Good luck!
Fred

Thomas Wilson
08-02-2021, 7:47 PM
I have Lie-Nielsen 1, 2, and 3. I bought them, as I persuaded Janicewhokeepsmehumble, for the grandkids to use in the shop. As it turns out, they want to use the big planes. The goal is long wide shavings like Granddaddy’s. I help a bit and it happens as they wish.

Jim Koepke
08-02-2021, 8:35 PM
A #1 is great for small work. It is impossible to get one's hand around the tote.

Here is my grip on an LN #1:

The Veritas version may be easier to get more than one finger around the tote.

My #1 actually gets used more often than my #2. Two of my fingers can get around the tote on the #2.

The #1 & #2 are easier to use at times if used/held like a coffin plane

My #3 is often used more than my #4. It all depends on the size of the work being done.

Just for fun, one of my future projects may be to build a special shooting board for a #1 to shave a few thousandths off the edges of a deck of cards. This would be to make what is often referred to as a 'stripped deck.' One end of the deck is 2-3 thousandths narrower than the other end. This type of deck can be used for many card tricks.

One deck like this was made freehand and taken to work one day. While on break the deck was being shuffled when a co-worker came in. While talking he asked me why I didn't play cards with him and the other guys. Without stopping my shuffling I told him, "you don't want to play cards with me." When he asked why, my hand went down the side of the deck and pulled out and fanned the four Aces that had been set earlier. You could hear his jaw hit the floor and the look on his face was priceless. No one ever asked me to sit in on their card games after that.

jtk

Curt Putnam
08-02-2021, 8:37 PM
FWIW, I tend to like the smallest plane that I think will do the job. I have a pair of # 3 sized planes and love them both. I'll even grab a block plane if I think I can get away with using it. Love block planes.

Scott Winners
08-03-2021, 1:03 AM
My smallest is a #3 and I have all the half sizes from there going up except for a #7. I hardly ever reach for the 3 on office furniture sized items; but I do use it occasionally, mine will be at my estate sale. It might be more handier on smaller projects for sure.

I am intriugued by the idea of a pull/ Japanese type plane possbily being a better fit with your wife's abilities. There are a ton of videos on youtube to see together before you spend money.

Opposite Curt, I tend to reach for the largest plane that can do the job. Love my #8 and #6.

Hunter Benson
08-03-2021, 8:47 AM
I have a no. 2 and find it almost impossible to hold comfortably. But maybe I am doing it wrong. I know the LV bevel up no. 1 has a larger handle and is supposed to be easier to use than a bevel down no. 1.

steven c newman
08-03-2021, 9:26 AM
I have and use a bunch of block planes ( have a 9-1/2 on the bench right now) I have and use both the No. 3 and No. 3c ( no difference) and the No. 4 and No. 4c........for small jobs that still require a Jack plane...out come either the Stanley No. 5-1/4, or, the Millers Falls No. 11.....same width as a #3 plane, but at 11" long.

Current Project is seeing a LOT of Millers Falls No. 15 and No. 9 planes....they were simply the ones in the "rotation" I have in the shop....trying to remember whether Sargent's turn is next, or Stanley....current block plane on "duty" is a Stanley 9-1/2....since it has taken up residence in the bench's tool well....

Largest jointer in USE right now, for me? Stanley No. 6, Type 9.....Had some glue joint to joint before the glue arrived. Seem to like it better than the No. 7s and No. 8 I have on hand.
To flatten those panels after the clamps came off? Millers Falls No. 15 ( same as a Stanley #5-1/2) although, the No. 6 was on "stand-by"
No. 7s at the bottom shelf, then the No. 6s...followed by Jacks and Smoothers....with a few block planes where space allowed....

YMMV

Elise Anna Boer
08-03-2021, 6:32 PM
I have a very old Record number 3 and I use it a lot. I find it especially useful to smooth small sections of large boards.

Dennis Droege
08-03-2021, 7:02 PM
All my working life, I've had the old Stanley planes my grandfather used, a 3 and a 4. I've used them since I was a little kid. I've got his #6 as well. I'm sort of with the guy who says he reaches for the sharp plane.
A year or so ago, primarily because it seemed to be the only one immediately available, I bought a Veritas #1. Didn't think I'd use it much. Turns out I carry it in my apron pocket--and reach for it much more than I could have predicted.

Derek Cohen
08-03-2021, 7:47 PM
Jason, give serious consideration to a Veritas Small BU smoother. It is light … feels a lot lighter than a LN #3. Plus the low centre of effort reduces the force needed to push it.

https://i.postimg.cc/k4kjwqZS/BU-and-3-1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
08-05-2021, 4:49 PM
Anyway...take your pick...
Block planes...No. 3s up to No. 7s....note what is sitting on the "roof"....

Slow day in the Office, Doc? LOL....

steven c newman
08-06-2021, 12:27 PM
I just "Picked" this one up this morning...for a $10 bill..
Sold by Sears as a Dunlap ( before there was a Craftsman brand) made by Millers Falls...and is a size 3D BB...made in USA.

Will take me maybe an afternoon to rehab into a user...only defect?

Price WAS $15....got it down to $10...

YMMV, of course...

Richard Line
08-06-2021, 1:53 PM
I don't want to take this thread away from it original direction, but – has anyone tried the optional knob and tote for the Veritas low angle block plane. Does it reasonably substitute for a no. 3 (or 2) size plane.

Derek Cohen
08-06-2021, 9:42 PM
Richard, I assume that you are referring to the conversion of LA Block Plane to a #2-sh smoother? If so, I like the concept, but in practice I found the plane to be shorter in the toe than I liked. This may be improved in the LA #2, recently released, but I have not tried one. The BU Small Smoother I mentioned earlier is a nicely balanced plane, light and nimble for a #3 size. Veritas planes have traditionally offered a longer toe than other makes, and the longer toe translates into more security/registration when starting a cut. The LA Block plane conversion is really a block plane, not a smoother, and adding the handle does not alter this. Very useful concept if it is all you can fit into a travel bag, but not for a workshop.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Richard Line
08-06-2021, 11:58 PM
Thanks Derek. I agree its an interesting concept. I had been wondering if the block plane was too short, you convinced me. I don't have the BU Small Smoother. I do have the next size up and like it for a lot of my smoothing work. I've also used it as a shooting plane to good effect, but I've got a #5 that is square and a bit better for shooting.

Ray Newman
08-07-2021, 11:17 PM
Derek: you posted " ....This may be improved in the LA #2, recently released, but I have not tried one."

I've looked on the Lee Valley and Veritas plane pages, but cannot find a LV#2 (??low angle??). Can you help me out. Thanks

Derek Cohen
08-07-2021, 11:24 PM
Sorry Ray, that should have read "BU #1" .... https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/bench/111077-veritas-bevel-up-number-1-plane

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ray Newman
08-07-2021, 11:29 PM
Thanks. No problem. I 'sorta' have my eye on on #1 BU. Again, thanks for prompt response.

steven c newman
08-08-2021, 2:28 PM
Didn't Patrick Leach offer a "Bedrock" 601 clone for sale? Not sure IF he still has any left....and..they even came in their own case. Even though Stanley never offered a No. 601.....

Also, Wood River also sells a No. 1 Bailey model....

Jason Buresh
08-10-2021, 4:36 PM
Jason, give serious consideration to a Veritas Small BU smoother. It is light … feels a lot lighter than a LN #3. Plus the low centre of effort reduces the force needed to push it.

https://i.postimg.cc/k4kjwqZS/BU-and-3-1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Thank you for the input. This definitely seems like a sensible option. Small enough and light enough for my wife to use, but also big enough I can use it too.

steven c newman
08-11-2021, 9:02 AM
So...I guess a Stanley No. 9-3/4 is out? It is a bevel up block plane with handles....

Jason Buresh
08-11-2021, 1:54 PM
I wouldn't say it's out, I never knew this plane existed. How does the ball on the end compare to a traditional tote?

Jason Buresh
08-11-2021, 2:11 PM
I wouldn't say it's out, I never knew this plane existed. How does the ball on the end compare to a traditional tote?

Holy smokes! Jim Bode sold one for $325! I do not mean this in a rude way Steven, but if the Veritas is an over priced block plane what do we call this?

I love my antique tools, but from what I can tell the 9-3/4 is more of a collectible than a user.

Prashun Patel
08-11-2021, 3:00 PM
I have and use successfully the Veritas small bevel up smoother.

I think for the OP's situation this might be a good alternative. I believe the lower center of gravity, and ease of blade removal and resetting makes this a contender for smaller hands that are motor skill challenged.

Thinking outside the box here, I would also suggest you evaluate and invest in improved work holding methods such as planing stops or dogs and vises that can make securing the piece more ergonomic for her. As I myself am aging, I feel the crank of my leg vise more than the heft of even a jointer plane.

steven c newman
08-11-2021, 5:22 PM
Although...all one needs is that ball end handle..to turn a normal #9-1/2 into the 9-3/4 Collector's plane....there is a fellow selling those ball end handles on FeeBay right now...Total between a handle and a plane..should be less than $100 to one's door...

As for me? I'll stick with my #3 and #4 sized smoothers....
As this is more of a Jack plane...and I used it this morning...on Ash...YMMV