PDA

View Full Version : First Acrylic Turnings - Open for Munchies

Bill Stevener
01-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi Gang,
First time I have ever turned this stuff, kinda funny turning, sticks to everything, but makes interesting minis.
Where is the new Andy, now he can slap me around, he knows how to turn it.
What do you think, I'm on the first timers list.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
01-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Wow Bill!! Those are just too much!! I was thinking that the swirl might be too large...but it ain't. Very cool Itty Bitties!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Bill those are beautiful. Those are great.

Dick Parr
01-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Those are really cool looking Bill, your right those pads would be a bit big:D

Great job.

Andy Howard
01-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Bill,

These are most excelent!

I recognize the blanks immediately from my penturning and have been dying to try the grey and black one.....for a pen of course.

What tool are you using to hollow things this small? I was at my limit on hollowing my little red goblet turning....i think if I get much smaller I may just have to start running a drill bit in and hollowing it that way.

How are you finishing your acrylic? I am using Micro Mesh, and then following with Hut plastic polish.

Andy

Keith Outten
01-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Bill,

I can almost hear the wheels turning. the contestents in the itty-bitty contest are already thinking about the fall contest and I think you have been very gratious sharing your ideas :)

By the way we are putting together a web page to document the 2005 itty-bitty contest. An announcement will be made in a couple of weeks.

Bill Stevener
01-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Back to ya Andy,

If you go back a page or two you will find a thread in which I did post some tools.
As for the finish, I wet sanded them to 1500g and then applied the hot fingers buff.:D

They say your never to old to learn. Sanding this stuff will give one another lesson, it will scratch in a heart beat. This is a good material to learn on, as how to sand.

Below is a photo as to what happens when you over extend your stay time and get this stuff to hot.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Bravo on the first set.

:rolleyes: Can't get away with what appears to be a MORF on the last one:rolleyes: . Haven't seen a dime look that way without it.:D

Bruce;)

Robert Mickley
01-12-2006, 8:54 AM
I fixed that dime for ya Bruce

Mike Ramsey
01-12-2006, 9:28 AM
That is just way too cool!! Bill how can you see that small
stuff to get that kind of detail? Do you have a big magnifying
glass in front of the lathe?? I've made itty bitty stuff...by
accident ;) .....I'm gonna have to try and do it on purpose...
I guess I could sharpen up a couple of those little screw drivers
that I use for tightening my glasses.....

Carole Valentine
01-12-2006, 9:33 AM
Well, I am certainly not going to do any teasing on this one! Those are fantastic Bill.:) Looks like that stuff lends itself to very crisp fine detail.

Bob Noles
01-12-2006, 9:53 AM
Bill,

I haven't even learned to turn wood yet and now y'all come along with that good looking stuff......

Sheesh..... I'll never catch up.

Nice job.... I sure do like it even if I do have to strain to see it :eek:

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-12-2006, 12:36 PM
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Bruce:D ;)

Keith Burns
01-12-2006, 6:12 PM
Bill, I am dead serious in what I'm about to say.............those are FANTISTIC !!!! Never thought I'd get so hooked on this itty bitty stuff but it sure is fun.

Bill Stevener
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words. Kinda shut in the small shop for the winter, with the Small lathe, so I have reverted to small stuff. The big shop is to costly to heat, well I get it up and running when it's warm enough. Just don't like turning in a snowmobile suit.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Michael Stafford
01-13-2006, 5:38 AM
Ditto all the previous comments. Looks like you are having way too much fun. But they sure are nice.:D

Ernie Nyvall
01-14-2006, 8:59 AM
Nice ones Bill. I like the melted one too. Looks sort of Aladdinish.:rolleyes:

Ernie