PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice re: Crown Bowl Gouge

Sam Chambers
01-11-2006, 9:51 PM
I'm a relative newbie to turning, having done nothing but spindle work so far (pens, candlesticks). Santa was nice enough to bring me a chuck for my Delta Midi Lathe, so I've been thinking about trying some small bowls. I don't have a bowl gouge, and saw this Crown 1/2" deep flute bowl gouge (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=412)on Woodcraft's web site. The price looks right, but since I don't know anything about bowl gouges, I thought I'd better ask the experts here.

What do y'all think? Too big? Too small? Crown makes good quality stuff, don't they?

Jim Becker
01-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Crown is a good tool. I generally don't like their "regular" bowl gouges, however...the flute profile isn't what I like. However, the Ellsworth grind bowl gouge by Crown is a keeper...I have two; one in the regular metal that I bought from David directly, and the PM version I bought last year to add an additional one so I can have more time between sharpenings when working with stubborn and abrasive materials. (The calcite in spalted wood will knock down an edge really quickly)

The 1/2" size is fine, although you might also consider starting with a 3/8".

Jim Ketron
01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I have some Crown PM Bowl gouges a 5/8 and a 3/8 Not used the 3/8 yet still in the package. I just got the regular and put my own side grind profile on it. Its the same gouge but about $20 cheaper than the Ellsworth :D I also like my 3/8 sorby it really gives a good cut also

Greg Savage
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm kinda partial to the Glaser V-15 Deep bowl gouges. They are a bit pricey , but don't be intimidated by the aggresive fingernail grind.....These are terrific, at least to me. These gouges hold an edge like you can't believe.

The aggessive profile is thought by many to be difficult to use effectively by those new to turning (without wrecking a few bowls). I mentor a 16yr old high school student that had a hard time with some standard Henry Taylor Deep Bowl Gouges, but, just out of curiousity, I gave him the 1/2in Glaser with a much more aggressive fingernail profile than standard, and in 5 minutes he was making beautiful cuts that barely needed sanding.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=101180&Category_Code=turntls-glaser-deepbwl

Dick Parr
01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
I did the same thing Jimbo, why spend the extra money when you can do it yourself;)