PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

Richard Hart
07-30-2021, 1:05 PM
Hi folks,

I don't see a new member introduction forum so here goes..

Doing what I should've done 25 years ago... getting my tools organized, updated and got what I need to do pretty much anything I want/need to.

Spent my whole working and hobby (addiction? :confused:) life in electronics.. go figure, my dad was a builder, built a lot of houses in NJ where I grew up.

So.. (a mind picture) If comfort zones were earth orbits, electronics would be low earth orbit, but woodworking would be Proxima Centauri-way out there! Couldn't saw a straight line and worse.

Now I'm learning and getting better and more confident - that's a good thing!

We had our floors done and the guys all had beautifully organized tools and that inspired me to get off my ass and start cleaning out, hiring a dumpster and getting rid of junk. One guy had the Milwaukee packout system so you can guess where that led!

So I have a nice Milwaukee inventory, my tools are where I can find them for a change, and it doesn't take 3 hours to find a screwdriver for a 5 minute job. Feels good.

I have my dad's hand tools-vintage-and I'm busy with white vinegar baths. :cool: Just got done with his Stanley planes and they're beautiful. (Pictures when I'm un-lazy enough to post them.) Figure if I can restore an old radio start to finish I can sure as hell do old tools.

Kitchen Island I did a couple years ago:

Anyway, thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to being here!

Rich

Rich

Rick Potter
07-30-2021, 3:01 PM
time to build a tool chest/bench, and get the juices flowing. Welcome aboard.

Ron Citerone
07-30-2021, 3:02 PM
Welcome Rich! This is a great site for woodworking and sometimes other stuff. I am actually from Ridley Park PA in Delco and have a cottage at Gandy's Beach in NJ on the Delaware Bay. Hope you enjoy your time here!

Jim Koepke
07-30-2021, 8:21 PM
Howdy Rich and welcome to the Creek.

For good advice, (likely more than you can absorb) on hand tools check in on the Neanderthal Haven section.

For even more reading check out > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805 < that is an archive of posts on various tools and rehabs.

For a better vinegar, check in the cleaning supply section of your local supermarket. It is a bit stronger than the food section vinegar.

jtk

Richard Hart
07-31-2021, 2:26 AM
Welcome Rich! This is a great site for woodworking and sometimes other stuff. I am actually from Ridley Park PA in Delco and have a cottage at Gandy's Beach in NJ on the Delaware Bay. Hope you enjoy your time here!

Thanks! Born and raised in north Jersey, in Pa. since 04.

Richard Hart
07-31-2021, 2:27 AM
Sweet! Thanks 👍

Scott Clausen
07-31-2021, 5:49 AM
Welcome Rich! I had the desire to "make something" and went foraging for used power tools. While buying a used jointer I spotted a old Stanley No. 5 and said "I'll give you twenty bucks for that". That started me down the hand tool road. Take good care of Dads tools, they have a lot of experience you just can't get in the new ones. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Frederick Skelly
07-31-2021, 12:08 PM
Welcome Rich! Glad to have you join us!
Fred

Richard Hart
08-06-2021, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone! Have to check settings-not getting email notifications of replies.
Gonna slap a quick workbench together from scraps here for now, still setting things up. Sanitation company just left with a full dumpster. 👍👍 I have a real horder tendency and it's almost a rush seeing things start to shape up. Now I can get around without climbing over crap and I found tools I forgot I had! 🙄

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2021, 1:59 PM
Welcome to the Creek Rich! It's a great place where pros and beginners share information in a civil manner.

Alan Lightstone
08-07-2021, 8:28 AM
Rich, one of my initial rules was to make the workshop furniture/cabinets first. By the time you get that the way you want it, your skill level has increased exponentially. I also had a rule at the beginning to use different techniques for every project I built. It's amazing how fast you can learn that way.

Many, many if not most of the members here started out in different professions that don't necessarily translate to woodworking. I'm a retired cardiothoracic anesthesiologist. Outside of OCD, I'm not sure any of that translates to woodworking, but I find it a very satisfying hobby, and the members here are great with advice and encouragement.

Welcome to the Creek.

Ronald Blue
08-07-2021, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the group Rich. There is a wealth of knowledge here and most are happy to share. I share what little I have. Look forward to seeing more posts from you.