PDA

View Full Version : A Project for August, start up

steven c newman
07-29-2021, 2:58 PM
Have that stack of 1 x 6 Ash...decided to build a tool chest.....Hauled 4 planks to the shop...cut the worst of the planks out...
Not much I can do with these...maybe burn them? Wound up with 6 boards...1 x 6 x 24"

Needed one good straight edge..
Rune the "best" edge along the rip fence, set to just skim off the worst of the wavy edges....marked THAT edge with an "X"...
Then reset the fence about 2 blade thicknesses closer to the blade...
And that is supposed to give me parallel edges that are basically straight...in theory...decided 3 board panel would be a bit too wide....rip the worst off 2 planks, and now they are just filler strips..
Then set up to use a jointer..
We will be making gap free glue joints, today..( I hope...)
Checking for gaps....there is no glue, nor clamps used...yet...hauled panel #1 over to the tablesaw..
Glue rubbed on the joints, 3 pipe clamps, and cauls on the ends....let this sit right there....

Rinse and repeat...got panel #2 ready to glue up...decided THAT can wait a day.....

These will be the sides on the tool chest.....unsure about drawer sizes, or how many....and...what sort of lid I will use...have 2 cardboard boxes sitting on an old Coffee Table....that need to be put away.....will sort through both, and see what can head for the shop....

Stay tuned....at least this is a start...:D

steven c newman
07-30-2021, 8:20 PM
Came back later, and worked on Panel #2...checking glue joints until no gaps are seen...
Then some Dummy decided to glue this panel up...right then and there...
Cauls to flatten the ends, AND the middle...letting the two panels sit a day or two...will need to square the ends, once they do exit the Forest of Clamps....and do a flattening and smoothing. Will be much easier to do sliding dovetails, that way...besides, I'll need to clean off the tablesaw...have a LOT of ripping to do...

Today was a Yard Sale/shopping day ( groceries/a clothes dryer) and find a TV for the GrandBRAT....

Tools found?
A white plastic tub....with THIS sign attached....
Tossed out the cheapo plastic screwdrivers, these were left. there are 3 files in there..that claw hammer?
When the face is a mushroom...handle has more cracks than a city sidewalk....it was soon tossed into the trash...Fowled Up Beyond Any Rehab....

steven c newman
07-31-2021, 4:06 PM
Both panels are now out of the clamps....late night work session...to square the ends up...
Needs a bit of a trim...
We do have a "Trim Saw"

Uses a 6" blade....need a guide fence..
Distance between the edge of the saw blade and the edge of the saw's shoe....sets the fence away from the saw line.

As long as I maintain even an even pressure to keep the saw against the fence....and an even speed across the board...seems to do quite well...

have one more to do, later today (nap came first...)
Trying to get it so both panels are the same length...
As they do need to match each other...then I can start to flatten the panels, and lay out some joinery.....more parts to mill...

steven c newman
07-31-2021, 9:28 PM
Set up to clean up and flatten a couple panels..
Millers Falls No. 15 to roughly flatten things out....finally..
Smoothed things down with the Millers Falls No.9...worked on both faces of both side panels this way....with the help of a beltsander on the worst spots...until it blew a belt..

Cross cut a couple 1 x 6s...need webframe parts...then ripped most to 1-1/2" width....some needed an edge straightened..
Since 7/8" was a might too thick...resaw to 9/16" thick..
Front and the sides....back may be pine, as a plywood panel will also be back there....
Setting spaces for 5 drawers....bottom webframe will be 3/4" thick...and will get a plywood panel....I think..
Same for the compartment at the top, under the lid....3" width on the "Front" and Back rails....1/4" plywood floor.
Stay tuned....I will try to get the case done....THEN start on the drawer builds...Might get this done by Labor Day? We'll see...

steven c newman
08-01-2021, 8:40 AM
Got woke up this morning at 0530...on a Sunday? Sheesh....why? Seems that phrase "Sleep on it" has a danger......in that my Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is always "on"....and IF it should come up with a solution to a problem...it WILL wake me up, no matter what time it is....so..this morning's wake up call. I now know how a few joints will get done..I just have to wait until I can turn the shop to "on"and make a bunch of noise......

Need to lay out where the drawer runners will go...and do it so both sides of the case will match. Need to build the bottom webframe and install it so end grain will not show.....Need to align rebates for the floor of the top compartment AND the top of the plywood back...so they miss. yet cover up any slots that might show....

At 7/8" thick, top and bottom parts are way too thick...I can get by with, say, 3/4" bare....and since they also seem to be a bit rough sawn....be easy to smooth out to get that thin. There is to be a rebate down the back edges of the side panels, to house the plywood back. Debate is now IF I will need a divider back there or not.....might as well, as the back will need something to attach to....at least once in the middle.

Have a large stack of 1/4" thick "cut-offs" that came about from ripping the dividers down to there 9/16" thickness....may add a groove around the bottom webframe...and slide a few of them in place...rather than BUY more plywood. Saves burning them...anyway...

Shop will open after Lunch....Brunch? Stay tuned...might be a busy day?

steven c newman
08-01-2021, 9:07 PM
Ok, have 12 pictures to post, from today's Follies.....and can only post 8 at a time? Well, here goes ( without the 3 hours of cussing...):eek:

First, set up to thin a few boards to 3/4" thickness....did NOT go well.....will need to hand plane the 2 boards I did get done, to get rid of the burn marks......

Hoping the next task goes a little better.....maybe...lay out for the sliding dovetail sockets....
And hope the other side panel will match when I'm done.....Clamped the panel to the bench..and the guide fence....
First socket wasn't too bad....
Moved things around so I can do #2...
Going to be one of THOSE days, eh.....1/2 hour round trip to Lowes to buy a new bit. Try again..
At least the new bit matched the old one....#3 went ok....just had to turn the panel around...
#3 and #4....repeat for the other side panel....except..#3 was out of line on the second panel....tried to get that corrected...almost....time to see how that went...

Bottom web frame..
Rails and stiles....need notched....and a 1/4" groove milled....to house a few slats...

Stay tuned, for Part 2...:D

steven c newman
08-01-2021, 9:22 PM
Those 1/4" thick slats, that were ripped from the divider stock....to make them thinner? Well, kept the best of the bunch..

This was before the grooves were milled. Also did some rebate/dado work....
This is to house the bottom webframe...test fitting...
First, make a bunch of cuts, then remove the waste....then the shoulder plane to clean things up..
Same with the rebate to house the plywood back....back to the webframe...
We have a glue up going on....there are screws at the notches, one each...cauls to pull and keep the corners flat. Let this thing sit right there a day or so....

I do have a router table...and need to dig it out....drawer guides and dividers need milled to fit into the sockets....have a spare part of the same thickness....to help with the set ups....

Looking like Tuesday...I can try to assemble the case? Monday, I'm sitting around, waiting on a new clothes dryer to be delivered, and the old one hauled away....minus it's power cord, I have to install that onto the new Dryer.....as they don't come with cords, anymore....and hook up the vent. Fun!

Stay tuned.....sure to be more cussing involved....( think reception center, day 1, boot camp)

steven c newman
08-02-2021, 6:42 PM
Well, got the bottom webframe out of the clamps, and cleaned up....then a dry fit of sorts..
This will be the bottom of the tool chest, after all. attach with counter sunk screws from the outside in...cover those with a strip of molding....

Got the old dryer all ready to be hauled away. Re-arranged the shop a bit....mainly to dig out...
This thingy. Spiders were a bit miffed... Holds a B&D 1/4" all metal router...that looks like a clone of my DeWalt #610 1/2" all metal router...other than the paint job...same depth adjuster, too...
Used the same 2 wrenches to change out cutters...

Set up the rip fence to do a bit of dovetail work....
Need 8 of these...drawer runners...then needed 4 dividers...afraid they stood up on me..
Then a dry fit..
May get to a glue-up later this week?
Was one of those days...even if it was a Monday....

steven c newman
08-03-2021, 8:06 PM
2 hours of shoptime, today...I'm whopped.......needed 4 sockets milled today...
And..each took a different set-up....until...
These are to hold the front and back of the top compartment....which also were milled to fit those sockets....then needed a rebate for the floor of the compartment...
Set up the Ward's Master Quality No. 78.....and went about 1/4" deep...
Then needed a dado across the sides of the case, to also house that bottom panel...
Stanley No. 45, Type 4....with what turned out to be dull spurs...
Will work on the other dado after the spurs aren't as dull. Might as well dry fit the entire case...just to see how things are lining up...
Will be waiting on a sheet of 1/4" plywood.....and then may start on drawer building 101?:confused:

Stay tuned. :D

No, Lowes could not deliver the new Clothes Dryer, yesterday...claimed my street was too small for their HUGE delivery truck....re-scheduled for tomorrow, and they will send it out in a van....means I am stuck waiting around all day, waiting on them to show up....as I am the one doing the hook-ups...:mad:

steven c newman
08-04-2021, 1:23 PM
Need to rest up a bit...new dryer is installed! :D:D:D Doing a bit of Lunch....may head to Lowes for a bit of 1/4" plywood (luann?) to cut for the back panel on the tool chest...and the floor of the compartment.:rolleyes:

Need to tear that dry fit down...have a few items to do.(like put away the router table, get out the tablesaw, again?)...before any assembly can be done....:rolleyes:

Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
08-05-2021, 4:33 PM
Ok...here is the Clothes Dryer I have been yakking about...already been in use for a few loads..
Had to use a scrap of 1/4" plywood under one foot, so it would sit level, and NOT walk across the floor....

Lowes trip.....
1/4" x 24" x 48" panel...cost me $9.02....counting my 10% Mil. Discount, and the local Sales Tax. Will be the back of the tool chest's case...and see how many drawer bottoms I can get from what is left..

case has been dismantled....Had a rebate that need the back corner cleaned out...
Seems when you forget to raise the spur on the #78...it will creep out a bit.. spur has been rotated up..and I used both of these planes to remove that little ledge in the corner..

Clamped the 2 case sides together, inside to inside face...
Both were an 1/8" too wide ( out front) and one was a hair wider on one end. I figured since I paid almost a $5 bill for this thing..
Now would be a decent chance to see how well it works..
Other than being a bit LOUD...not too bad...fence seems to help balance the thing. It can now go back on a shelf.

One dado was not deep enough...corrected that. went from 1/4" deep to 3/8" deep....after all the noise lately...this sounded kind of good...
Should have used the cam rest, as this wanted to lean a bit...checked the depth..
Then set up to mill the dado in the other case's side...
Stay tuned...part 2 coming right up..
:D

steven c newman
08-05-2021, 4:42 PM
Dado #2..
Ash does NOT like getting dadoed, does it? Even with a knife wall.
Checking how well the dado is going...dry fit?
BTW, I also cut a panel for the bottom of this compartment...
Then checked Dado #1 for fit, as well...
Later, when you happen to open the lid, this is what you will see.....yes, I will be removing those burn marks.

Errands to run, needed to stash all the parts...and NOT on the new dryer..
Figure they can all wait around here, for now.....

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
08-05-2021, 10:11 PM
out of that 2' x 4' panel..I need to cut a 20" x 22-1/2" panel to make the back of the case....Have the entire case dry fitted, right now....needed that done to get the size of the back's panel...

need to figure out HOW to make the 2 cuts....and come out square....and still leave enough to make a few drawer bottoms..

Bunch of Yard Sales tomorrow, the Boss has a list of them all made out....one is even a village wide sale...oooh-aaahhh!.

Not enough cash to do the World's Longest Yard Sale, though....It start this morning ( Thursday) and runs through this coming Sunday.....cash for gas, cash for food, and cash for anything I wanted to buy...bad when Pay Day is the THIRD Wednesday of the month...:mad: Oh well...

steven c newman
08-05-2021, 11:39 PM
Late night Laundry Detail. ( 1 load) so...went to check on the washer..19 minutes left...hmm..

Tear the Stanley 45 Type 4 down...remove the LONG rods...clean the various parts...oil some threads..install the short rods. Sliding stock and fence back on.. cutters put away. Put the plane back in it's case, and place the case back where it belongs ( on top of the Type 20 Stanley No. 45, Roxton Pond)

Measure for the case's back, again...hmmmm

Put the router table away, swept the crud out of that spot, first. Had to set it aside a bit, to bring the tablesaw back out...then slide the router table back into it's "home"..move the tablesaw around so I could use it..

Framer square to do the layout. With the plywood panel laying ON the tablesaw. A "crosscut" was marked out first...20" down from the "top" of the panel ( could be the other way around?) Without moving the square...I then made about 5 trips with the knife. Made things easier to see, and less splinters to clean up. Set up the saw to make the cut.....slowly, by hand...

Set the 28" long "cut-off" aside...need a rip fence to cut a 1-1/4" off an edge...so that I'll have a 20" x 22-1/2" panel...

Set the cut panel over with the dry fitted case, looks like it will fit..

Washer "Binged" meaning it was done. Transfer the clothes to the New Dryer....call it a night...after I hit "Start" button..didn't even bring the camera along....oh well..

steven c newman
08-06-2021, 3:22 PM
laundry Detail this afternoon...means I get some shoptime, while waiting on things to get done (Washed & Dried) Film at 2300 hrs...picking dried glue off of my fingers at the moment...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
08-06-2021, 4:27 PM
Standing up..
might have enough clamps..
Bottom got attached via 3 countersunk screws...on each side...fancy drill was needed...
Millers Falls No. 1950...spinning a large counter sink bit...
Yes I got the burn marks all cleaned off...

used the back panel to square the case...glue and screws..
And a clamp...or two...

letting this mess sit a day or two...while I get ready to build a few (5!!) drawers...
Thinking this MIGHT come in handy....

Stay tuned

steven c newman
08-07-2021, 6:36 PM
Clamps have now been removed..
And a look inside the clean compartment at the top...
Hauled one plank to the shop....cross cut and rip a few blanks..
With enough for one drawer side....have 4 more boards to haul to the shop...next laundry detail.

steven c newman
08-08-2021, 9:34 AM
May try today and see IF I can cobble a drawer or two.....have to haul another plank or two to the shop....might try to build these drawer out of Ash all the way around, with just a pine plywood floor? May need another "Lumber Run"....as I'll need a plank or two for the lid....hmmm...raised or flat paneled lid? :confused:

Stay tuned.....:D

steven c newman
08-08-2021, 12:09 PM
Hauled two more planks to the shop..then a third one....have just one left..needed to mill a few sides, a couple backs, and the last 2 drawer fronts....spent about...an hour making sawdust..until the Boss needed to be taken to Church...
Couple blanks for 4 sides?
Needed the rough edges and a taper removed..
Easy way to get the length..

Soon had the top drawer's 2 sides milled to size..
More cutting, fitting and cussing..
7 out of 10 sides are milled to size...
last two drawer fronts, and..
Top 2 drawer backs...which will need milled for width/length, once the rest of the drawer is done....
You think these might be too "fancy" for the drawer pulls?

Stay tuned....may just start on the first 2 drawers, later...:D

steven c newman
08-08-2021, 9:30 PM
Working on grooves for the drawer bottoms...both in the front..
Seems to make a curly sort of shaving..
That want to curl up around my thumb....also worked on a couple sides..
Set up a second Stanley 45...
To make a dado to house the back of the drawer...
Spurs still a bit too DULL, used a saw instead of the spurs..
Intend to keep both 45s set up as is...

Once the back was the right size...and checked for fit..
I could cut a plywood bottom for this drawer..
And see how it will all clamp up....when I get around to gluing this up.

3 hours IN the shop, this afternoon...along with Laundry Detail.....kind of tired, and sore....t-shirt might even dis-own me...
Was a busy day...top 2 drawers have been dovetailled to their fronts...Drawer #2 is ready for a glue-up....#1 might take awhile..had issues with dovetails...usually happens when it has been awhile..

May do a lumber run Monday..need one or two more planks...mainly for the lid. And..maybe a 1/4' x 2' x 2' plywood panel, for the last 2 drawer bottoms?

steven c newman
08-09-2021, 8:22 AM
This being a MONDAY...not much will get done in the shop...

That dry fit has been turned into a glue up....Turns out it is for Drawer #2.....still need to plough grooves and dados for Drawer #1...and, cut a plywood panel for it's bottom.

Need a resupply of Ash....about 2 planks at 3/4" x 6" x 8' should do the trick...final parts for 3 drawers, and a lid of some kind....

Lid: Frame & Panel? Flat with bread board ends? Or...something else?

Lifting handles for the sides of the case? This bad boy is getting heavy.....wait until it fills up with tools....

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
08-09-2021, 12:51 PM
Lumber run has been completed..10 bft of Ash = $7 out of my pocket. Two boards are 3/4" x 6" x 48", and the other two are 3/4" x6"x 6'3" Should be enough to complete the drawers and build a lid of some sort...Monday? Shop is usually closed...we'll see..

steven c newman
08-10-2021, 7:34 AM
First drawer was taken out of the clamps, last night ( got bored sitting around..) and fitted to it's opening...
Top drawer needed grooves milled..
And dados milled...

Bottom panel cut to size...then fought to get it glued up...Herding Cats would have been easier ( just walk in front with a full food dish, BTDT) but, despite Old Man Murphy trying his best..:mad:
Top drawer IS glued up..:mad:
Drawer #3 was given a start..
Will see about get that done, today..

steven c newman
08-10-2021, 6:07 PM
3 hours in the shop, this morning..stopped about...noonish..
Drawer #1 was fitted to it's new home..
Had to use a hand plane to level out a few high spots..
As the drawer was a bit sticky..
Yeah...got to about here, and stopped...got that fixed. hauled one plank to the shop...needed a piece for the back of Drawer #3...and two sides for Drawer#5
Cut for length, ripped to match the drawer front....back of Drawer #3 was a resaw..
And Drawer #1 got a couple counter sink holes for it's back..
Debate is going on about handles for these drawers...have one version...
Not sure IF this will look too big....if I run a single handle per drawer, centered on the front...

Rearrange the tool crib a bit...need a table brought out..
And get set up to dovetail the front of Drawer #3...:eek:

steven c newman
08-10-2021, 6:23 PM
Hmmmm, router table for dovetails? We'll see...
First, needed the sides to have their grooves done..will do the dado after a bit...wanted to make sure which was the "Inside"...and the groove helped with that..now...about the RT..
There are lines on the fence, showing where to stop...direction of travel is towards the camera....at each setting of the fence, I shoved each end of the drawer front up to the STOP line..and pull back out..Took a few settings to get what I wanted..
Added that second fence when things tried to get a bit squirrelly ....Then set up to make the tails...
Plywood scrap raises the side of the drawer to where it needed to be...and made a few marks...
Bevel square was set to the angle needed, so I could check how the marked lines match up....Bandsaw to cut on the waste side of the lines...trying to leave the lines...then set up to do some chopping..
Half chopped, flip over..
Reset for the other side, and do those....test fit?
Thinking that someday, I might just get the hang of doing these things....:rolleyes:
Stay tuned, more to come....it WAS a 3 hour tour...:D

steven c newman
08-10-2021, 6:39 PM
Test fit...
To make sure the drawer bottom will fit...Dados are next...need a jig made..
Couple screws to help out...still using that Disston D8 Panel saw...as the spurs aren't ready for prime time....need replaced.and away we go..
Router plane to help out...set to level the floor of the dado....checked the back for fit....usual luck ..back is too fat.....Plane a bevel on the outside face on both ends....lay out all the parts..
I think we are ready for a glue-up?

Cheap acid brush to get the glue into all the cavities, more clamps...
Yeah..MORE CLAMPS!
Let this sit a day....tomorrow I'll try my luck with Drawer #4...

Even with the shop fan blowing right on me...my T-shirt wanted to run away. Swept the floor..TWICE!....After Murphy hauled the plank to the shop, I fired him....p-poor shop assistant....even dinged the plank bringing it to the shop. Starting to "feel" every bit of those 3 hours spent...getting too hot to be in the shop, even without Laundry being dried...I'm plumb worn out...

Lumber Re-supply was 10 bft ( $7) of Ash...should be more than enough to get this tool chest done...

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
08-11-2021, 9:07 AM
may go and check on that glue up, in a little bit.....and get set up for Drawer #4? Need to buy a 1/4" x 24" x 24" sheet of plywood....to make the last 2 drawer bottoms with....
Am also working on details for the lid....and it will not be a flat panel one...wait and see...:D
Stay tuned :D

steven c newman
08-11-2021, 5:42 PM
#3 drawer is out of the clamps, and fitted to it's new home..
Both #2 and #3 are sticking out a bit...as they all need a handle installed..
Then worked on #4 drawer a bit..
Sharpened and tuned this up a bit...and cleaned a LOT of crud out from under the iron...
Front of #4 drawer got it'd groove thing done..
There is an issue with it...
Yeah...outside face of this knot got filled with glue and sawdust, and sanded down smooth...may take the Stanley #80 across it later..
Then the sides were grooved up....M-F #9 to smooth things out a bit...
One of the sides also has an issue going on....it is trying to split....so...this will be where the dado will go...
Was a busy morning...then the Boss needed to go shopping...so, I also needed to buy a 1/4" x 24" x 24" plywood panel....need 2 more drawer bottoms...$6, counting tax.

had issues with the Stanley #45,Type 4....has a case of very BAD spurs...rotated one to sharpen a new edge.....had a "spare" in the case...sharpened a lobe on it....at least NOW it scores the wood..

Plank to the shop...needed a back for this drawer, at least...rough cut to length and width....needed to resaw for thickness...tablesaw could not reach halfway up into the board...left a 1/4" wide strip down the middle.....Clamped the board the my bench...got down the Disston Thumbhole,,,,and cut the ribbon away...both hands on the handle, BTW....Back is now just over 1/2" thick...kept the 1/4" thick "scrap" for a later project...

Sides have their dados done, back has been fitted...just dovetails and the bottom of the drawer is left to do..

Dungeon Creek is on the rise in the shop...kind of ended today's follies....

Maybe tomorrow, eh? Stay tuned..

steven c newman
08-12-2021, 8:50 AM
Disston D(no hyphen) 8 thumbhole..5-1/2 ppi, 28" length...
Doesn't take very long to do....full stroke works nicely...had to stop 1/2 way, turn the board over, and saw from the other end...

Stanley 45 issues..
This spur stuck out enough, just needed to be sharper,
The spur closest to the fence, came to just flush with the bottom edge of the skate.....had a spare...shaped and sharpened on of the un-used lobes..now BOTH spurs will score the woodahead of the cutter..
Wood River #62.....edge was all chewed up, back of the iron was NOT flat....lots of debris under the blade, to where I could not adjust the cut...
Cleaned all that junk out...flatten the back of the iron, and reground the bevel, using the factory 25 degree bevel as a guide...tested it out on some Ash (where before, it would do tearouts)
Not too bad?
Drawer front needed planed flat, had a small cup starting to form...used as a jointer?
As the drawer sides and the drawer back needed a shave for width....
2 handles were installed last night (hence the need to plane the drawer face)...
I'll install #3 handle later today...AFTER #4 gets a glue up..

steven c newman
08-12-2021, 7:38 PM
Ok. 3 hours of shoptime today...24 pictures to post...this MIGHT take a while...make sure you have enough popcorn, before we start in on Thursday's Follies

Ok..start off with that #3 drawer handle. laid out for the 2 mounting holes with a pencil...then drilled both holes...chisel to clean any splinters....front of the drawer felt a bit ...rough, so..easier to do that before the handle goes on...plane the front smooth ( and erase the pencil marks, too)
Now that it is sharp again..only found one small tear out..that will go under the handle, anyway...
Cordless drill was having issues doing the handle's bolts....we have ways...
Stanley Fat Max. Then stash the drawer into it's new home...
Only 2 more to do, right?

For Drawer #4, today's project....I needed to set up the router table, again.....Pins will get done on it...might even be called "sockets"?

Fence was set up, so the first socket lined up with the groove on this end....other end, it will be near the top of the drawer's front....Each set up, I run each end through from this direction..there is a "Start Line"
And a STOP line..
Marked right on the fence

For the last 2 sockets, I added an extra fence, to keep things from getting squirrely
This one first..so I could set the last socket between the other 2...splitting the difference..
Moved BOTH fences for that one....right,,,6 spaces available for 6 tails....on both ends of the drawer front...Need a Mountain Dew Zero sugar break:rolleyes:

next episode...tails get laid out and chopped....
Stay tuned..( boring anybody?):D

steven c newman
08-12-2021, 8:02 PM
Roh-Kray, Raggy...tails..Need a way to trace the pins, to lay out the tails...hmm...
Clamp the front to the bench..clamp a plywood scrap to the vise...with a folded sandpaper as a shim....matched to the height needed...beats trying to hold it up while tracing a line..Stand the side of the drawer where it needs to go....make a few tick marks to show where the tails start...and mark for the so-to-be-abused Baseline....set a bevel gauge to the angle the router bit uses..
Mark from baseline to tick mark....then a square..
To carry the baseline around. haul this board to the bandsaw...try to cut on the waste side of the lines ( be sure you mark which side that is) then back to the bench. That scrap of plywood has another use...
For when I clamp the side to the bench...the plywood will protect my bench from chisel cuts...Need a square to make the knife wall/Baseline....and away we go..
Only need to chop about half way down..just to prevent any blowouts from happening.....then flip over..
That Lutz file/chisel worked great..gets into the tight corners....then see about a test fit?
When you NEED a mallet to do a test fit....should be about tight enough? Repeat the above for the other side of the drawer...
Hmmm....needs a bigger hammer?
Nope, just forgot to square the sockets off at the back....things fit better then...

Next? Fit the back and the bottom and a full dry fit?

steven c newman
08-12-2021, 8:12 PM
And...we're back...sides fit...back?

Not exactly...was a tad too wide, still....hmmm, we have ways..
Clamp it up, joint a bit off, retest...until it did fit...Set up the tablesaw, and measured and cut the plywood panel for the bottom of the drawer...dry fit ( do I feel lucky?)
About time to get out the brush, glue bottle and clamps? And...a pair of cauls this time around,,
Brush to moosh the glue around where it needed to me...(always seems to include ME, for some reason?) Forest of Clamps shows up...
The 2 cauls are sitting right over the dovetails...even pressure to close them up...

And THAT will do it for today's follies....lots of set-ups to do....a bit of hand work to do....let the drawer sit a day...then maybe I can start on the last drawer, and cobble up some sort of lid?

steven c newman
08-13-2021, 7:25 PM
I didn't WANT to work, today...and wind up working too hard for a Friday....but...:rolleyes:
Drawer #4 is now out of the clamps....planed a bit..
Bottom edge was hitting the divider on the way in....a couple proud dovetails were leveled down flush....try again?
Slides right in...no bump on the way...and no binding....

Got a start on Drawer #5...drawer front was a bit on the rough side...we have ways...
Both faces done...will do the sides IF needed. Drawer front NOW has it's groove thing done..

may be different handles going on...as some out there feel the current ones are too bulky...:rolleyes:..found another bag of hardware...will see how THOSE skinny handles look...using the same mounting holes...

steven c newman
08-14-2021, 7:27 AM
After some complaints about the size of the handles, decided to try different ones...
Hmmmm....
Hope they are satisfied....

Will see IF I can get Drawer #5 into the clamps, today...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
08-14-2021, 8:43 PM
Hmm, 15 photos to post? We'll see how this goes..had Laundry Detail this morning, anyway...might as well stay down there to monitor that process...and get a little shop time, to boot..

Ok..The drawer front had already been planed smooth and flat,,,and a groove for the drawer bottom had been milled...which left the sides to do next..went from...
To..
This, on both faces, on both of the sides..plane in use?
Seemed to do ..ok...next, these two needed a groove..
Hmmm, and Noodle maker for a bowl of Pho?

Then they both needed a dado..
Still working with issues with the spurs..Stanley #358 cut the lines for the plane...using the score marks the plane managed to make..

Set these aside for a little bit....milling pins first...a router table in use..
Last on this end...extra guide fence due to some squirrley grain..

Then trace the pins to lay out the tails, bandsaw to make a few cuts...trying to stay on the waste side of the lines...
Ready to chop..get the usual suspects of chisels..and chop halfway down on one face, flip over, and complete the chopping...test fit?
One of these years, I might just get the hang of doing these? Need a mallet to install these..

Ok...halfway there, need to start Part 2...stay tuned..BRB

steven c newman
08-14-2021, 9:00 PM
And..we back. Got the dovetails done...dry fit to size the bottom panel, and cut the 1/4" plywood to size..
Was hoping the saw would remove that barcode label...had to scrape it off later...looked around for a back...none around...so
Cross cut a plank to the same length as the plywood panel , then ripped to the correct width ~ 3-5/8" wide...but...it needed to be resawn for thickness...
Blade all the way up, ran two passes. barely any left in the middle...back IS a tad thick...needed a ledge by the rip fence for the board to ride on...otherwise it would just drop into the saw...

Dry fit?
gap is due to that side leaning out a bit...closed right up during the glue up..

Glue up was a bit different, this time...Brushed the glue around on the tails...and hammered them home while on the bench...both sides in place...moved to the cleared off tablesaw...slide the bottom panel in place, then add glue to the ends of the back...and along one edge...and slide it into place.....then, into the Forest of Clamps we go..
With a few 6" H-F clamps to clamp the back to the bottom...then the rest showed up...did not need any cauls, this time..
A couple just to close a gap..

Dryer is done...and so am I...head upstairs...next? Might start on a lid, of some sort?

Oh, and clean up drawer #5 when it comes out of the clamps, and install handles on #4 and #5 drawers...

steven c newman
08-15-2021, 9:19 AM
Last drawer is out of the clamps..will not need much of a clean up...tested the fit into the case, slid right in, no issues.

Need to install handles on both the #4 and #5 drawer....might need those to open the drawers?

Hauled a long plank to the shop......

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has come up with a plan of sorts for the lid.....involves a 3 board glue up, and a folding....and a few grooves....Need 3 planks, 3/4" x 5-3/4" x 24-3/4" edge jointed and glued into a flat panel..for now....might have to get out the "BIG" Jointer plane?

Nice and cool out, this morning...(62 sunny degrees) ...might stay that way IN the Dungeon Shop?

steven c newman
08-15-2021, 6:29 PM
Today's Sunday Funnies...:rolleyes: Task was to cross cut a plank into 3 more or less similar pieces...
Unable to work around the knot...will just have to make it work...Boards had a rough edge, a wavy edge, and a tapered edge..all at once...so..
Straightest edge( not saying a whole lot) against the rip fence...peel the worst of the waves and roughs,AND tapers off...flip over, adjust the fence again..to clean up the other edge...then try to lay out for best grain match...
Well, I tried, anyhow ( was THAT kind of a day, almost a Monday like thing?) got out the glue, and the pipe clamps,
Plus a couple cauls, and a few c clamps....let this mess sit a day or three..

The other task? handles? First, Drawer #5 needed some small gaps filled..
Had a high spot to level down, so the drawer will close without getting itself STUCK..
Then carve starter curves at the back corners..
As these help to get a FULL drawer started into the case...

handles...one did have it's own bolts...the other needed bolts cut down a bit...Awl or pilot hole to start the main drill bit? Didn't matter much...drill had it's own ideas...finally..
We have all five drawers ...DONE!:D

Have to wait on the lid to get built, before I can apply any stain.....Shellac was too light in colour...Gunstock was way too RED....want something a little closer to a Brown Walnut flavour...

Stay tuned..

Almost forgot...Shop will be closed this Monday..

steven c newman
08-16-2021, 6:05 PM
Ok...Moose & Squirrel Delivery Service dropped off an envelope marked TOP SECRET!

The "PLAN" for the lid...even with the measurements..
And a diagram of what to cut and where...
Just have to hide this From Boris B. and friend....as they like to steal plans...

Clamps will come off tomorrow (Tuesday)....and we'll see how the cuts go along...idea is to have a flat panel...sitting in grooves . Grooves are in the "skirts"...where I'll "fold" a 3" strip down all the way around.

Trying to match the grain directions in the case....Horiz. front and back...Vert. on the ends.. May do a BIG round-over all the way around the top edge...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
08-17-2021, 10:03 AM
The best laid battle plans only last until that first shot.....so....Plan A will change to Plan B...

Biggest reason? ( besides being distracted by Trolls) Is on the end of the panel for the lid....
This area right here. IF I slice off a 1 x 3 here....it will warp, crack, and crumble....Other end is fine, and has been squared up
Have run the Scrub Jack around to take down all the high spots..
Working my way back towards the camera...Jane plane has a decent camber...
"Old English Groat"?

Also, having trouble SEEING thin pencil lines in Ash.....Now have a FINE point BLACK Sharpie....that will be the cut lines...

What was to be 1/4" x 1/4" tongues going all the way around.....has been deepened to 3/8"deep, by 1/4" wide.......just in case someone should try to sit on the lid :eek:
Different boards on the ends...corner joints? Maybe something a bit better than a butt joint with a plugged, counter-bored screw....we'll see how the week goes....

(Trolls...it is bad when they follow you from site to site, then claim I am the snarky one?)

steven c newman
08-17-2021, 5:16 PM
That bad spot?
and the reason..
Then reset the rip fence..panel needs to be a bit narrower...
Along with 2 other boards, that needed ripped for width...to make 4 skirt boards..
The 2 long ones from the edge of the panel, 2 short ones from the cut-off pile..

Skirt boards were a tad too thick...we have ways..
Peel a bit off, to get to about 3/4" thick..was a problem...
I was moving too slow...hand plane to remove the burn marks..
Then jig up, to do the groove thing....
So ends Part 1....stay tune...might have some more to post...maybe?

steven c newman
08-18-2021, 9:12 AM
Lid has been glued up..and is sitting in the clamps.

Have errands to run, this morning...will blog when I get done..sometime today....

steven c newman
08-18-2021, 12:13 PM
So...the long skirt boards were 1/2" too short....the panel was NOT square....

Correct the panel...panel is a little smaller now...but it is square. Cut NEW long skirt boards from scratch...right down to skimming an 1/8" off of the thickness...Grooves ploughed...and a better fitting end joint..

WR #62 got used a lot...burn marks, rip marks....to flatten the new skirt boards. Finally did a dry fit...corrected a couple problems...then the glue (last of THAT bottle, BTW) and the clamps..
As seen from the underside...I worked on the top side first, then flip it onto it's top and installed a couple more clamps....checked around on the inside for "square" so far, so good..letting this sit a day..
Then trim as needed...will champfer the top edges of the case to match up to this new sized lid...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
08-18-2021, 5:47 PM
Lid is out of the Forest of Clamps...ends have been trimmed flush to the sides...

Case now has a bevel where the lid will sit..

Thanks to that $2 Tool Bag...I now have a choice of hinges to use...
Going to use a surface mount...
Debate is about which size to use...

Quick run out to Harbor Freight...a 5 pack of 3" x 21", 80 grit sanding belts....$7.50....Might have a use for one or two...

Sand...plane..scrape...stain...varnish....might have this done by Labor Day? Trolls not withstanding...:rolleyes:

steven c newman
08-19-2021, 12:14 AM
Lid cleaned up nicely enough..
Sanded, planed and scrapered...
gave it a workout...have started working on filling all gaps..
That is NOT a square plug...that is a tenon on the end of the one board, fitted to the groove in the other....also fills that groove..
So....why is the top drawer sticking out?
Because there are 2 clamps in the way....which are holding two Rosewood plugs until the glue cures...
Lid hardware has been decided on...for now..
Knob matches the rest of the handles.

Any shop time for Thursday has been canceled....not even allowed to drive....TEE Scan at 0800 in the morning....

steven c newman
08-20-2021, 8:56 PM
Was busy running errands today...and Rust Hunting....Millers Falls No. 9, type 3 = $12.75.....
latches for the lid, and a pair of handles to carry this tool chest with....Rosewood plugs have been trimmed flush...Need to fit the lid to the top of the case a tad bit better, then add the hinges...Should be about ready for a coat of stain...when sanded to 220 grit...I rather doubt THAT will happen while the chest is sitting ON the Brand New Clothes Dryer' top....let alone stain the chest...

Still a bit "loopy" from yesterday...will see how Saturday goes...

steven c newman
08-21-2021, 1:10 PM
Moved to the top of my bench. Planed the bevels to better match up with the lid. Then the surface mounted Piano Hinge was installed....and the rosewood plugs trimmed of flush with a chisel...Then the 1st coat of stain was brushed on...
Rosewood being Rosewood, turned black..added two handle to the sides of the case, so I can at least carry this thing..
One on each side. A pair of latches and a knob, were added to the front of the lid..
So...now I am waiting on the 1st coat of stain to dry, before coat #2 gets applied...until then, it can just sit on the bench..

Chest just to store my "Extra" toys...er..TOOLS....

steven c newman
08-21-2021, 3:10 PM
Cleaned off the exposed dried glue spots. Sanded back to bare wood. Second coat of stain where needed...
Lid works! Need to stain this inside? Hinge?
Shadow line. Debate is about stain or black paint the back?

Wiped the second coat of stain down, then brushed on a coat of Amber Shellac....even the top of the lid looks shiny..

We'll see how this looks tomorrow...before anything else gets done...

steven c newman
08-22-2021, 2:30 PM
Taking the day off from the shop...kind of stoved up, right now...Head from a bolt sticking out of the backyard swing's frame...while I was trying to move it out of the way to mow in that spot...nice 5/16" hole...

Yard got mowed last evening....was trying the clear one of the wheels...had a long stemmed weed stuck in it....tried to pull it free with one foot on the weed, the other on the SHUT OFF mower, pushing the mower back a bit...foot got tangled with the starter cord...and down I went....got a small hole in my right wrist to show for it....mower got pushed inside the shed, and the doors slammed shut...:mad:

So, this morning, woke up feeling like a truck had run over me....guess I don't Bounce like I used too...:eek:.

Have drawer liner material to cut and apply to 5 drawers and the top compartment...may cut and fit a length of black chain, to hold the lid...

Stew Denton
08-22-2021, 3:17 PM
Steven,

I usually tell folks that I bounce just as well as I ever did. The problem is getting up after I stop bouncing.

Stew

steven c newman
08-23-2021, 5:42 PM
OK, LaundryDetail last night...somehow managed to waddle down the steps...Laundry started....Shellac came out and a brush..
All of this was given a coat of Amber Shellac..Then got off the roll of Drawer Liner, and the scissors I brought along in the hamper....among other items. Took a bit a bit, as a drawer is quite the same size as this needed to be...
Then lined the top 2 drawers...
With what I had left. Still have 3 drawers to do, once I buy another roll.. Other items? Bought a Hasp, and some plates...already had a flat bar stock ( same as on the Stanley #358 mitre box)
Installed this part at the top, and..
This catch at the bottom f the case...
Intent to get 3 padlocks, all keyed the same...to lock this up...

3/8" tapered plug cutter, to cut/burn two Rosewood plugs...as there are 2 counter-bored holes in the bottom edge of the case...a bit of glue, a hammer to drive in...a chisel to trim flush..and a swipe with some shellac...Have to wait and see how those 2 turned out...Dryer was done..and so was I....
Stay tuned...after a coat or two of clear gloss poly..I'll haul this upstairs....have a spot to sit it at...and load it up...
And...
Will empty the boxes into the Tool Chest...and throw the boxes out. Power toys will go to a shelf in the shop....There is an old Walnut Coffee Table under that mess....will become the base of the chest.

Not even sure what all is in there...will do an inventory....some items may get tossed out.

Stay tuned..we about done...

steven c newman
08-23-2021, 7:32 PM
1st coat of Clear Gloss Poly is on the chest...letting that sit overnight..

3 Padlocks are in place...all take the same key.

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
08-24-2021, 1:43 PM
A bit of fine grit sndpaper, to rub out any nibs....
Followed up with a buffer..
Test to see how many planes could be stored in the top..
2 Smoothers, a Jumbo Jack, and a #62 jack...a Stanley #9-1/2 Block plane, and a Stanley #80...not too bad...about doubled the weight of the chest....
Padlocks have been bought, had to buy the 4-pack...but, they are all keyed the same...
Down at the bottom, a couple Rosewood 3/8" tapered plugs were installed...

Must have been an old Rolling Stones' song playing in the background?
As the back of the case got it's "naked" plywood painted black...

IF the right knee will allow it, this will be a "Moving Day"....as I think I am done here IN the shop....to reduce weight, drawers are coming up by themselves...have to clear off the landing pad, too....

Thanks for looking in...did I bore anyone?:D

Stew Denton
08-24-2021, 2:29 PM
Steven,

Not boring for me, instead very enjoyable read. As always, I think I learned some things as well. The build started about the day we moved, so I had a lot of catch up to do on the read once the computer stuff was back on line. Unfortunately we are still unpacking and trying to figure out where to store stuff, since we have less storage room, at least for now. (Have thrown a lot of stuff away, so you aren't alone in throwing things away.)

Thanks for the build, and regards.

Stew

steven c newman
08-24-2021, 6:36 PM
Took a while...but..it did get moved upstairs..
Will come back later...after the sun sets...south facing windows making picture taking a bit...rough, right now...way too much glare :(

Joe A Faulkner
08-24-2021, 10:10 PM
I am enjoying this latest build. Not sure about the handles. They may be too fancy for the dungeon workshop, but maybe with those handles you can get by sitting the new tool cabinet on top of the new dryer? Looking forward to your next installment.

steven c newman
08-25-2021, 12:15 PM
Mission Accomplished! Tool Chest is now upstairs in it's new home....sitting on an old Walnut Coffee Table....so I have a place to stash/hide all them Yard Sale Gems I bring home..
All locked up, too..
Black chain to hold the lid..
Same key will open all 3 padlocks...

I think I'll call this done...goal was to get this done before Labor Day Weekend...