PDA

View Full Version : drying box?

Jack Wood
01-11-2006, 9:31 PM
:confused: We always have lots of humidity down here in Alabama and with the cooler temps in the work shop I have found that my turnings finished with polyurethane take a long time to dry. I am thinking of making a box that I could close up and that would have a light bulb to heat up the air to speed up the process. Is this a good idea? I was thinking a 100 watt bulb would do. Should I put some vent holes in it also? THANKS!

Jim Becker
01-11-2006, 10:09 PM
There have been articles about folks doing this with an old refrigerator or freezer....and said light bulb...for drying wood. It could also work for helping to keep the temps up for curing finish.

Andy Hoyt
01-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Jack - A couple of guys in my club have built these. I'll try to dig something up. Been meaning to do so for myself anyway.

Robert Mickley
01-12-2006, 8:34 AM
Jack are we talking about drying the wood itself or the poly finish? A 100 watt bulb will make a lot of heat. If your drying wood to much (dry)heat can be your enemy. When it comes to drying wood slower is better. Thats why I don't microwave wood.

If your drying finish, some finish is made to be baked, like some car paints. others like consumer polys and lacquers aren't. Doesn't mean you can't do it you just need to exercise caution. If you try to dry a poly or lacquer to fast the outside will harden and won't let the drying agents evaporate. Usually you end up with bubbles in the finish. I found that out the hard way. :rolleyes:

Most finish products will give you a temp range to work in, the ideal temp is in the middle of that range. An ld fridge would work great for drying, both wood and finish. use a thermostat to control the temps, vent it top and bottom you need a place for the warm moist air to escape.

My solution in the last shop was I built an addition on the side of the shop that was 8 x 12. put shelves down one wall a row of cabinets on the other side and insulated the crap out of it. kept a dehumidifier in it runing all the time. Had a small electric heater, that I only used when i was actually in there. Dryed my bowl blanks in there and did my finish work in there. Also used it store some lumber. It worked great!!!

Andy Hoyt
01-12-2006, 5:21 PM
Jack - The two club members that I was thinking of have both indicated that their design is so old and falling apart that they'd be hesitant to share it.

But!

Creeker Dennis Daudelin has written a wonderful and highly detailed article about these kilns. Unfortuately, it's posted on another turning forum site, so I cannot post the link here.

I've suggested to Dennis that he work with Keith Outten to also post his story in our own Articles and Reviews section. But until that happens, anyone that wants the link can shoot me a PM, and I'll shoot it back. I'm hopeful that is an allowed work around to the TOS.

Steve Clardy
01-12-2006, 5:51 PM
I used an old frig for years. To keep my finish in, and my welding rods in.
20 watt appliance bulb kept it warm enough to keep the finish from freezing during the night, and to keep my welding rods dry.
Built several shelves inside it for more storage.
If I had some small project with wet finish on it, I usually found room it there to dry it also.

Dennis Daudelin
01-12-2006, 9:53 PM
Hi All,

As Andy has mentioned, I've built my own bowl kiln. I used 2 - 100 watt bulbs and was able to maintain 90 degrees on an ongoing basis. This is all the heat that you need (want) to dry out bowls. Using 90 degrees may be too hot for drying a finish though.

I did build in some sliding vents into the top of the kilm to allow me to control the temp for both temperature maintenance and cool down...

I think that the issue with finish is not the temperature but the humidity. So, they key would be to reduce the humidity. Lamp bulbs might do that okay but I'd be tempted to build a box (plywood) and put a dehumidifier into it (like Robert mentioned). I think that you'd get much better results for finish drying and could also use it as a bowl kiln.

Andy has offered the bowl kiln plans to you and I'd do the same. I'll also be happy to have it posted in the articles section. Ken, are you monitoring this thread? If so, please drop me a line...

Dennis

Jack Wood
01-13-2006, 6:28 PM
Thanks for the advice! Yes I would like to look at those plans if you can get them posted or you can email them to me:) . THANKS!

Clem Wixted
01-13-2006, 7:46 PM
Russ Fairfield suggests using an old dishwasher with a 100 Watt bulb on the bottom. Disconnect all of the electrics and plumbing and run the wire through an existing hole after temporarily removing the plug. The dishwasher has built in venting. The shelves hold different size pieces nicely.

Clem

Dennis Daudelin
01-13-2006, 7:48 PM
Hi Jack,

I've sent you a separate email with the link to the bowl kiln plans.

Please let me know if you don't get it...

Thanks,

Dennis