PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at a little box

Doug Jones
07-16-2003, 9:05 PM
Well it may not be as good as Kevin's (he is the box master), but it is my first attempt. I still need to work on those miter joints. If your interested and can't tell. Its of Poplar and Walnut with a first coat of boiled linseed oil. The original plans called for the splines to run on the inside of the miters running from top to bottom joining each miter together. I wasn't comfortable with that so I varied the plans to my comfort level, thus the miter splines running where they are.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-16-2003, 9:20 PM
I'd call that a real nice effort. I like it. Do some more.(-:

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-16-2003, 9:26 PM
Doug, to put it short and sweet, "There ain't nuttin' wrong with that!" :D I like it, it looks good to me! The Poplar you used looks great, especially the top, it is awesome. The only way to improve is to make 'em, and you are definitely on the right track. The corner miters don't look so bad, just a small adjustment will tighten them right up. For your first attempt, I'd say BRAVO! Thanks for sharing the picture of your first box, I really enjoyed it. Now, wasn't that FUN? :D

Jim Becker
07-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Well it may not be as good as Kevin's (he is the box master), but it is my first attempt.

Great job, Doug! Good choice of contrasting materials. You'll like how the poplar browns a little with some UV exposure as it will still contrast very nicely with the walnut.

Don Farr
07-17-2003, 7:35 AM
Very nice. Looks great to me. :D

Ted Shrader
07-17-2003, 8:34 AM
The original plans called for the splines to run on the inside of the miters running from top to bottom joining each miter together. I wasn't comfortable with that so I varied the plans to my comfort level, thus the miter splines running where they are.

Doug -

Box looks great. I think your change adds to the design. They flow up from the legs/feet.

Well done!

Ted

Lee Schierer
07-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Box making in somewhat different than cabinet making. It requires different attention to details. Small parts aren't as forgiving on errors either.
Looks good, keep em coming.

Jim Young
07-17-2003, 8:18 PM
I like it.

Noah Alkinburgh
07-17-2003, 8:51 PM
That is one fine looking box!!!

One question, the spline going down the joint helps to strengthen the miter, so do you think doing the spline like this will casue the joint to be weaker, stronger, or no change? I think it look fantastic, but was just curious.

Noah

Rob Overton
07-18-2003, 9:57 AM
Looks great to mke. If you saw some of my firsts you would be VERY pleased with your work...... :D

Doug Jones
07-18-2003, 7:31 PM
One question, the spline going down the joint helps to strengthen the miter, so do you think doing the spline like this will casue the joint to be weaker, stronger, or no change?

Good question Noah, I never thought of that, but now that I have I would have to say it would make the joints less weak than had I ran the splines the way the plans call for.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-18-2003, 8:25 PM
I really like the way the splines look in the corners of your version of the Box Doug. I have built boxes using this design with the splines as the plans call for, and without the spline using the mitered corner. There is no doubt that the vertical spline that the plans call for help strengthen the corner joints. It also helps with the joint alignment when clamping the box after glue up. While the vertical spline looks a little intimidating to do, it is really very easily accomplished. The boxes I have built without using the vertical spline in each corner seem to be holding together well, so I think it is not necessary to add it. It does add to the overall craftsmanship appearance when the lid is removed, and it does look cool with a contrasting wood. I just do whatever I am in the mood for at the time.......if I feel like it, I add the spline........if I don't, I leave it out. I also use the Bessey Variable Angle Strap Clamp to clamp my boxes while the glue sets. This is the best $30.00 I ever spent for a clamp.......it is an invaluable tool for nice tight joints and good, square boxes. (Nothing more aggravating than trying to fit a lid to a box that is out of square.)

Joe Tonich
07-18-2003, 10:17 PM
The original plans called for the splines to run on the inside of the miters running from top to bottom joining each miter together. I wasn't comfortable with that so I varied the plans to my comfort level, thus the miter splines running where they are.

Doug,

Thats the way I do splined miters also. Never done one the other way (from top to bottom). NICE looking box! :)

Joe