PDA

View Full Version : New to turning.....can I get in the Mini-Club?

Andy Howard
01-11-2006, 8:19 PM
I am pretty new to turning, and mostly have just turned pens......but I have been working on some small turnings to start learning the porportions, forms, etc. I had a small piece of pen blank left over in the cutoff box, so I chucked it up and this is what came out.

It is .950 tall, and .600 wide at the top.

I think the cup part itself should have been longer, and the curve radius on the outside of the cup is off.

Let me know what you think.

Andy

Jim Dunn
01-11-2006, 8:29 PM
That's it I quit!!!! I can't even see half the sfuff you people are turning.

Jim

Corey Hallagan
01-11-2006, 8:49 PM
No kidding, I am boxing it up! Well....maybe not.. I will think about it. Amazing work Andy, beginner huh........... Okayyyyyyy... I envision that 2 years from now one of my posts will read...
Don't be to rough on me as this is my latest turning and I am a newbie beginner....sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Corey

Dale Thompson
01-11-2006, 8:49 PM
Andy,
That is beautiful work and obviously that of a true artist! :) I'm curious as to the composition of your "blank". :confused: It looks to be almost transparent! :D :)

Dale T.

Bill Stevener
01-11-2006, 9:26 PM
Hi Andy,
One very nice turning. Good looking finish.
I am just really getting in to Micro miniatures, so not coming from an expert, and again for your first try it is really great. I will say what I see.
For a martini glass of sorts, it's rather tall. On the 1/2" scale it is about a 12" glass and or cup and over 6" wide, would make for one tall drink:) . The angle of the cup is what you wish to make it, I don't really believe there is any rule. The stem could be some what thinner, considering the material you used to give it a more delicate look.

Now that I have gone on, I will give you a chance to get back at me in about 1/2 hour. I have attempted my first mini acrylic turnings and hope to have some photos up.

Thanks for showing your mini, and sure your welcome, any time.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Andy Howard
01-11-2006, 10:33 PM
The blank is called Celluloid. It is a type of acrylic, and i believe it is called celluloid because it contains some sheets of material that look like miniature cells. Hard to explain, but you get it when you see the stuff. It is a pretty commonly used Pen turning material. I would post a link to where you can buy it, but I am not sure that is allowed. If you look at any place that sells pen blanks you will see some interesting colored acrylic and celluloid materials.

I'll see if I can get some pens gathered round and display what the stuff looks like in a larger form.

Andy

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2006, 10:57 PM
That is some nice turning Andy. I hope I can get there someday.

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 11:09 PM
The blank is called Celluloid. It is a type of acrylic, and i believe it is called celluloid because it contains some sheets of material that look like miniature cells. Hard to explain, but you get it when you see the stuff. It is a pretty commonly used Pen turning material. I would post a link to where you can buy it, but I am not sure that is allowed. If you look at any place that sells pen blanks you will see some interesting colored acrylic and celluloid materials.

I'll see if I can get some pens gathered round and display what the stuff looks like in a larger form.

Andy

Andy, first off, I like it!!! Very unique and, even if it is a bit out of proportion, I don't believe in hard-set numbers when you start talking about artsy work. Call it artistic license!:D Secondly, feel free to post sources for materials, as long as you yourself are not the business entity providing said material(s) or if it doesn't link to another forum.:) Keep up the great job! :) :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-11-2006, 11:32 PM
I think you have made the ITTY BITTY mini club. That is great!

I can't attest to the scale, Bill is the authority there.

Bruce

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Very Cool! Welcome. Let's show these non Andys how it's done!

Pat Jeddy
01-12-2006, 1:21 AM
Hey, they let me join. I know they'll let anyone in.

ps. your mini work rocks. I love it.

John Hart
01-12-2006, 7:25 AM
As a Non-Andy, I can only say that I think you do great work. Wonderful Itty-Bitty. Welcome to the Club!!! Very exclusive you know.;)