PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie!!!

Jerry Vander Till
01-11-2006, 8:09 PM
I've been a lurker for a long time! In fact, I've been lurking so long, I feel like I know everyone already!

I'm posting in this forum first because I do like to do flat work, but I made the mistake of visiting this forum awhile back and got hooked bad!:eek:

What's really cool is LOML caught on and got me a new spinny thing for Christmas!

Thanks for the incredible amount of help you've provided me while I was a lurker and look forward to continue learning and improving my spinny things.

The 1st picture shows my new spinny thing on a stand I built based on one Bruce Shiverdecker made. I'm making my turning home in the basement for the winter (around these here parts, they call this a Michigan basement). The second picture shows the first three things I've turned.

Bob Noles
01-11-2006, 8:15 PM
Jerry,

Let me be one of the first to welcome you to SMC. Those first turnings are great and I really like your bench.

I think you will fit in well down here with us, especially the way you stack your sawdust behind the lathe :D :eek:

Don't be a stranger and remember that we all learn from each other.

Steve Clardy
01-11-2006, 8:20 PM
Welcome Jerry!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2006, 8:31 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jerry! Could I borrow a couple of pictures from you so that I can get Andy off my back?:rolleyes: :D

Again....Wade right in ....the water's fine!.....Welcome!

Corey Hallagan
01-11-2006, 8:56 PM
Wow, your first turnings? You guys are killing me here! Nice work, those look awesome! I really like your bench as well. Oh... and welcome to SMC!

Corey

Jim Dunn
01-11-2006, 8:56 PM
Jerry Welcome! Don't listen to Ken. ;) He's on Andy's hit list and you don't want to be around when it happens.:eek::eek:

Tock Tock Tock When it happens it won't be pretty, whatever it is:confused:

Jim

Dick Parr
01-11-2006, 9:50 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jerry.

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, me think the man's got it!!! Right outta' the gates, he's dropping familiar names, showing pictures and even got the RIGHT forum to post on! :D Yuppers, Jerry, me thinks you'll do just fine over here! :) A great BIG welcome to you and thanks for joining us!:)

Now, you've got the intro down pat, the picture thing, showing off nice "first" pieces and all that but, one little item remains: All of us here on the Turner's forum have taken a secret oath to keep riding Ken F. until he finally breaks, admits his weakness and gets a spinny thing of his own! Don't let us down now, you hear? :D Again, welcome to the best WW forum on the Web!!!:) :cool:

Jim Dunn
01-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Jerry, right now what you don't know is your on "double secret probation", (till the parade that is) so do as John H. says and keep up the good hearted ribbing of Ken and the turning.

John Hart
01-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Welcome Jerry!!!! Yup...I gotta agree...You're doing it right. Pretty soon, your basement is going to be filled with wood and shavings and goop all over the place. Your wife is going to say, "Sheesh...I created a MONSTER" (But a friendly monster!):D

Again WELCOME!:)

Bill Stevener
01-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Jerry,
Welcome to the Creek. Some fine first turnings. You're about the first one that left the lathe unswept, looks cool, like a turners place.
Thanks for the photos.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Welcome Jerry. I am a new turner myself. Your first turnings look like you got it.

Jerry Vander Till
01-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks everyone, it's great to be here!

Ken, I don't know about the pictures, but I do have an old (i.e. it was my grandpa's and he's been gone for over 25 years) Craftsman lathe you could borrow:D

Jim, Thanks for the heads up, but double secret probation?! I hate it when that happens. So will you tell me when my probation is over?

John M., I've been lurking long enough to know I'd be visited by the picture cop, Tyler Howell, If I didn't have pics. Especially since my new lathe should be considered a gloat!

John H., Fortunately, my wife won't go in the basement - too wet, too dark, too many critters:eek: :D

Jim Dunn
01-11-2006, 11:12 PM
When Ken buys a lathe or Andy finally sets off what ever he is ticking down to. Only time will tell.

Jim

Keith Christopher
01-11-2006, 11:18 PM
So nice ! I love my lil Rikon too !!!

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Jerry - You have the touch!

Most impressive spindle still mounted. The pattern repeats flawlessly. BRAVO ZULU!

John Bailey
01-12-2006, 5:31 AM
Too bad Jerry, you seem like such a nice guy. What they haven't told you is that when you start hangin' around with this group your insurance rates go up, banks won't talk to you, collection agencies start calling you at work, it rains a lot more (notice the nice winter weather you've been having), people start walking on the other side of the street to avoid you and your dog will quit waggin' its tail in friendly anticipation of your attention - cause it doens'nt want yours. Yup, too bad.

John

P.S. Looks like we're going to have a Creeker's meeting on Saturday, Feb. 25th in Lansing. Come on over and we can help with counseling.

Alan Ryalls
01-12-2006, 5:59 AM
welcome jerry,you will never find a better place.
regards alan.....

Robert Mickley
01-12-2006, 8:06 AM
Welcome Jerry, nice work. Your beads look better than mine do. something I never got quite down pat.

Jerry Vander Till
01-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Jim, It sounds like I may be on double secret probation for a loooooooong time!

Keith, My Rikon runs nice and smooth. I am having a little trouble with the tail stock slipping so I'm going to try to adjust it tonight.

Andy and Robert, Don't look too close at the spindle still on the lathe. It's not quite as perfect as you think!:p

John, Is that why it quit snowing around here? I'd sure hate to be the one responsible for all the ski hills going out of business! P.S. I'm going to try to get to Lansing on the 25th of Feb. for that counseling session!:D

Andy Hoyt
01-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Jerry - Only Dean Wormer can remove the vile veil of Double Secret Probation. And he hasn't ever posted here. So yes, the wait could be extensive:D

Jerry Vander Till
01-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to throw a toga party!:cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-12-2006, 1:02 PM
Oh! Well in that case, just post some pics of the event and you'll be free to embarass yourself just like the rest of us. Don't forget the mustard.

Ron Ainge
01-12-2006, 1:27 PM
Jerry

for first turnings they look great, I have been turning for about 3 years and I don't think that I could do as well as you did. Welcome to the creek and have a great time with you new hobby.

tod evans
01-12-2006, 1:49 PM
welcome jerry.

Keith Burns
01-12-2006, 6:18 PM
Welcome Jerry. Your "just for fun" pieces look great:) . You have now gone over to the dark side.:eek:

Jim Becker
01-12-2006, 7:26 PM
Welcome to the addiction!! (and SMC, too, if that also doesn't qualify as an addiction...)