PDA

View Full Version : cupped boards fix?

Brian Knop
01-11-2006, 8:05 PM
I glued up a couple boards about three weeks ago, got busy and forgot about them. Took them out, sawed them apart and the 10” wide boards are cupped pretty good. I put some wet rages on them placed the cupped sides together laid them on the floor with some weights on them. Anyone have any suggestion other then not leaving your boards clamped up for three weeks? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks Brian

Steve Clardy
01-11-2006, 8:23 PM
Resaw, rejoint, glue back together

Brian Knop
01-11-2006, 8:34 PM
The boards are cupped (bowed) I did not see how glueing them back together will fix this.

Steve Clardy
01-11-2006, 9:34 PM
The boards are cupped (bowed) I did not see how glueing them back together will fix this.

Ok. Lengthwise. Rip and turn one piece over.

Brian Knop
01-11-2006, 9:41 PM
Ok Now I see

Matt Day
01-12-2006, 2:01 PM
Assuming all the boards are flat to begin with, how long should you have it clamped up after gluing? Anything special to do after you unclamp it?

Anthony Anderson
01-12-2006, 2:53 PM
Matt, you can unclamp a glue up in 1-2 (personally I wait at least 2, and it also depends if I need the clamps for continuous gluing). Sometimes I wait at least 6-8hrs before stressing the wood (planing etc). More often it is overnight-24hrs. I try to make sure my boards are a max. 5", if I need wider than that I will split the width in half, thirds, fourths, so on and glue the panel up while make sure to alternate the end grain. Make sure any material acclimates to your shop before you work it. Keeping the humidity constant and within acceptable limits it a good idea as well. This should prevent any cupping. Hope this Helps, Bill

Chris Padilla
01-12-2006, 4:52 PM
Clamp up time depends on your adhesive. Read the bottle. That said, I normally leave clamps on overnight but if I need the clamps, I'll see what the bottle says.

Steve Clardy
01-12-2006, 4:58 PM
True Brother Chris.
I use titebond original. Pull clamps in 30 minutes if I need the clamps again. [Above 65 degrees]

Chris Padilla
01-12-2006, 6:45 PM
LOL, yeah, open time with that stuff is like 10 seconds. I need at least a half an hour to glue up my stuff and I'll still mess it up