PDA

View Full Version : Ollie's Here

Alden Miller
01-11-2006, 6:14 PM
No pictures yet but I picked up my new jointer from the freight terminal yesterday. Now all I have to do is offload it from the trailer into the workshop. :)

I was happy that picking it up at the freight terminal wasn't that big a deal. They have loading docks that are 18 wheeler height. They put straps around the crate and lowered it off the dock with a forklift. A little nerve racking but it went smoothly.

-Alden

Dev Emch
01-11-2006, 8:55 PM
No pictures yet but I picked up my new jointer from the freight terminal yesterday. Now all I have to do is offload it from the trailer into the workshop. :)

I was happy that picking it up at the freight terminal wasn't that big a deal. They have loading docks that are 18 wheeler height. They put straps around the crate and lowered it off the dock with a forklift. A little nerve racking but it went smoothly.

-Alden

I just moved my oliie too yesterday. I moved my 24 inch oliver 166 from the shop onto my trailer and then drove it over to a barn and unloaded it into the barn. Used no fork lifts. Just four jack stands, a floor jack, a toe jack, my dollie rollers and my come-a-long. Nerve racking is looking at a 2300 pound jointer perched two feet in the air on jack stands. My hands are still shaking. No matter how many times I do this, it makes me nervous.

Jim Becker
01-11-2006, 9:25 PM
Congrats, Alden. I'm looking forward to the pics of that "stout" machine!

Alden Miller
01-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Well, shed that is. I don't have to go to work until this afternoon so I took the opportunity to offload Ollie from the trailer. First I had to move the Airstream from in front of the shed where the jointer lives. Then I hooked the flatbed trailer up to my tractor and backed it up to the shop. It was perfect, it just fit between the doors and the edge of the trailer met the edge of the shop floor.

I don't know why I thought I could just push it off the trailer onto the shed floor but that was my optimistic wish. I put my back into it and the jointer didn't even move. After some head scratching I was able to use a combination of pry bars, pvc pipe, and a trolley jack to get it off the trailer.

Once it was 80% into the shed I pulled the trailer out from under it. Then I pushed it into the shed with the tractor.

How come I feel like I ran a marathon???

-Alden

Michael Gabbay
01-13-2006, 1:22 PM
Let that be a lesson to you... you should have bought my BW 6" and you could have moved it with no problems. :D

So does this mean you won't be getting your lumber skip planed anymore when we go to Hicksville?

BTW - no pictures = did not happen!

Alden Miller
01-13-2006, 3:07 PM
Pictures come later... Have to resize and upload them.

My legs and arms are telling me it happened!

-Alden

Tyler Howell
01-13-2006, 3:10 PM
Alden, :mad:
You're stalling!!!!!
Let's see em.;)

Dev Emch
01-13-2006, 3:40 PM
Pictures come later... Have to resize and upload them.

My legs and arms are telling me it happened!

-Alden
Get used to it. Anything with OLIVER slobbered all over it will do that to you.:D

Learn to love the pain!:D The joy will follow. Now, I dont think I need to tell you that in your case, you need to bring the wood to the machine and not the machine to the wood.:p Can we call this the dead machine concept?

Alden Miller
01-13-2006, 5:54 PM
Dev, you mean I can't use it like my Makita that I use for planing doors? :D

-Alden

Michael Gabbay
01-13-2006, 6:51 PM
Dev, you mean I can't use it like my Makita that I use for planing doors? :D

-Alden

Sure just take the fence off. It will make it a little lighter! :D

Nothing worse than hearing you whine when you just got a 10" jointer. My heart goes out for you... :p

Alden Miller
01-14-2006, 9:02 AM
This is the last shot I got before the heavy work started. It has a nice small shed to be wedged into. I keep my performax and the jointer in here.

-Alden

Jim Dunn
01-14-2006, 9:15 AM
Looks like you overloaded your trailer there. If you continue to treat your tools like that I'll have to come over and get that Ollie out of danger:)

Michael Gabbay
01-14-2006, 10:54 AM
What jointer? I don't see no jointer! :D

Brad Townsend
01-14-2006, 11:18 AM
This is the last shot I got before the heavy work started. It has a nice small shed to be wedged into. I keep my performax and the jointer in here.

-Alden
Forget the jointer. I want the tractor!

Tyler Howell
01-14-2006, 12:11 PM
That's a start!!!! More...... Give me more!!!:eek:

Dev Emch
01-14-2006, 3:15 PM
Bin there, done that. Did I mention my back hurts, my arms hurt and I stink... where's the shower!

Alden Miller
01-15-2006, 1:51 PM
My wife is now calling it "Ollie Blue". I had a couple friends come over this morning and we lifted it off the pallet. Quick trip to the borg and I had the plug I needed. I wired him up and pushed the on switch. Nothing! I grabbed the manual and found the troubleshooting section. It was the emergency off switch. It stays down when pushed, you have to rotate it clockwise to release it. A couple seconds later and Ollie was humming away. I adjusted the fence and the infeed and outfeed tables. I have just one thing to say...

Sweeeeeeet!!!

-Alden

Jim Becker
01-15-2006, 2:40 PM
I fine addition to your shop, Alden!!

Tyler Howell
01-15-2006, 3:09 PM
Now you're talking SWEEEEEET!

Michael Gabbay
01-15-2006, 3:50 PM
Should have got the 12"... :D

Really cool. When can I come over and play? Now you better take Myra out for a very nice dinner. :)

Dev Emch
01-15-2006, 4:05 PM
O.K. O.K.

Now you got the jointer commisioned. Time to move to the next project.

Have you seen the oscillating drum sander being offered by ollie blue? It was once the case you needed a multi drum sander weighing 10,000 pounds like a Berlin to get this feature and the Berlin had Babbit bearings! Ollie Blue has a quicktime movie on their site showing the motion. It is super trick. Its a combination of a drum sander and an oscillating spindle sander turned on its side. And the drums are counter-osciallating as well! If I were after a drum sander, forget the performax.... you need to check out the new ollie blue in this regard.

P.S. Sadly there are no teal green oscillating drum sanders out there. Never were.

Ed Kowaski
01-15-2006, 4:37 PM
Congrats Alden, I think you made a fine choice :)

FWIW check the bolt that attached the pully to the cutter head. Some how the bolt, not the pully worked lose on mine. I added a "tiny" dab of blue loctite. Mine sits on a mobile base at least till I get the shop sorted.

Enjoy!

Gail O'Rourke
01-15-2006, 8:07 PM
I love it, great post.
Congratulations.