PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Pear

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 5:48 PM
When I picked up all that hickory from Mike Cutler he also gave Syd Lorandeau and I a small chunk of pear. We each went home with a piece in the round about 12" long and 6" in diameter. A couple of weeks ago Carole posted a piece she had done in pear and (either she or someone else) mentioned that it likes to split.

No kidding! This is all I was able to get out of the piece. Turns like butter, has very nice grain, but let it sit for a second and it's Splitsville. And this is a piece that Mike had said was cut 14 years ago. About 5" in diameter x 2" tall and and 3/16" thick. Took to 600, multiple coats of Arm-R-Seal and Bealled.

John Hart
01-11-2006, 5:56 PM
Pear has an elegant grain and you captured it Andy. Too bad it misbehaved but at least you got something out of it. Very pretty!:)

Jim Ketron
01-11-2006, 6:50 PM
Pear is some of the best looking wood IMO!
Nice Job Andy!

Travis Stinson
01-11-2006, 7:22 PM
Sweet Andy! I love turning Pear, yum yum.:D

Gary Max
01-11-2006, 7:24 PM
Love the grain---great job on the finish. Now I need to find a pear tree.

Bob Noles
01-11-2006, 7:32 PM
Andy,

You did that pear some righteous justice. Very nice job and an eloquent piece that will be enjoyed for a long time.

Michael Stafford
01-11-2006, 7:41 PM
Looks pretty good to me, Andy. I don't see no stinking splits! You are right about the grain, very pretty.:D

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 7:45 PM
Thanks!

Mike - You don't see any splits for three reasons.
Most of them ocurred on the three other blanks I roughed - and they all self-destructed!
I'm not showing the back side of this one.
Nor am I showing you the bottom of it!

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 8:00 PM
Sweet! It has a very rich look to it. Nice job on it, Andy! I assume you didn't do any DNA treatment on it? Not sure if it's the pic or angle but, it almost looks like even there it's a bit "deformed". Man, that stuff must move a LOT!!!:) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
01-14-2006, 8:23 AM
Wow, been gone a couple of days and all sorts of thing happen. Nice work Andy. That pear finised up real nice.

Ernie

Jim Dunn
01-14-2006, 8:41 AM
Real pretty bowl Andy!!!

Jim

Mike Cutler
01-14-2006, 8:46 AM
The bowl looks great Andy, as does the Spalted Hickory bowl in your other post. I'm really glad now, that I didn't send that wood up the chimney.
I still don't get the turning stuff, but I might have to give it a whirl if I can make projects like that from wood lying in the backyard.
Nice work Andy.

Carole Valentine
01-14-2006, 8:52 AM
You conquered it Andy! Beautiful little bowl. That pear turns like a dream. To calm the cracking, I was successful with boiling then DNA on top of that.

John Hart
01-14-2006, 9:00 AM
You conquered it Andy! Beautiful little bowl. That pear turns like a dream. To calm the cracking, I was successful with boiling then DNA on top of that.

Yup...the guys at Berea Hardwoods were telling me that any of the fruit trees or sugar ladened woods like maple, should be boiled to "set the sugar" They recommended 20-30 minutes rolling boil. Eucalyptus, I do 45 minutes. Seems to be a very valid method of stabilization.

Keith Burns
01-14-2006, 9:02 AM
Turned out nice Andy. Nice form and finish, splits or no splits.:) :)

Jim Dunn
01-14-2006, 9:06 AM
Is this a Cooking class or a Turning forum, setting sugar, we making fudge here.:confused::eek::eek: Do really mean you take the wood to a boil, at the stove, in the kitchen that belongs to your wife:o:o she'd kill me and bury me in a shallow hole with my turning tools.:p Course if I ever try it I'll blame Carol and John:)

Jim

Mark Cothren
01-14-2006, 10:08 AM
That Pear sure looks sweet! Nice bowl, Andy!

Thanks for the picture!

John Hart
01-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Is this a Cooking class or a Turning forum,....

Just make sure you don't use the good cookware Jim!!!! There are some very dark resins in some of that stuff. But it does make the house smell good. Just tell your wife that it is an unusual potpourri. ;)

Andy Hoyt
01-14-2006, 11:45 AM
The bowl looks great Andy, as does the Spalted Hickory bowl in your other post. I'm really glad now, that I didn't send that wood up the chimney.
I still don't get the turning stuff, but I might have to give it a whirl if I can make projects like that from wood lying in the backyard.
Nice work Andy.
Hey! I'm glad you didn't send it up the chimney too! Still waiting for the right piece to present itself so I can send it back to you. Patience.

Dick Parr
01-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Great Job Andy, I have a couple of pieces of Bradford Pear that I need to turn.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Neet lookin' stuff. Find work on the bowl, too.

Bruce

Andy Hoyt
01-15-2006, 12:30 AM
....I still don't get the turning stuff, but I might have to give it a whirl if I can make projects like that from wood lying in the backyard.
Nice work Andy.
Sheesh! I can't believe I let this get by me earlier. I'll be gentle...:D

Go hang out with David Fried up in Storrs for an afternoon. You'll find out real quick whether we're all nuts, or you are too.

Dick and Bruce - thanks.