PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Spalted Hickory

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 5:34 PM
Well, I finally got a small piece of this stuff to stabilize enough so I could finish turn it. Nothing fantastic about this one, but I thought you might like to see a shot of the spalting action. Get used to it too, cause I got a bunch of it.

About 8" wide x 3' tall and 3/8" thick. Took it to 400 grit, multiple coats of Arm-R-Seal and then Bealled.

29378 29380

John Hart
01-11-2006, 6:08 PM
I could look at spalted wood all day. Bring it on man!!! Nice lookin' bowl.

So hows your hickory holding up out there? Losing any to splitting?

Michael Stafford
01-11-2006, 6:28 PM
That is a good looking bowl, Andy. I have to ask, is it as yellow as it appears in the photo or is that color influenced by the background you photographed against. I also love spalted wood but have only turned it a few times. Nice job!:D

Dick Parr
01-11-2006, 6:51 PM
Really nice looking Andy. I like that Arm-R-Seal except for the time it takes to apply.

Jim Ketron
01-11-2006, 6:52 PM
Nice Job Andy!
Nice form and finish!

Ed Scolforo
01-11-2006, 7:03 PM
Andy: That's a good looking bowl!
Ed

Glenn Hodges
01-11-2006, 7:11 PM
Andy I like the curve, and the spalting.

Bob Noles
01-11-2006, 7:12 PM
About 8" wide x 3' tall and 3/8" thick. Took it to 400 grit, multiple coats of Arm-R-Seal and then Bealled.

29378 29380

Andy,

That bowl has got to be an SMC record. What kind of lathe did you say you had? :eek: A 3 foot deep bowl will hold a lot of ice cream ya know :p

Seriously.... that is a wonderful job and some excellent wood. You did good ole boy. Hope I can get my hands on wood like that after I learn what I'm doing.

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 7:21 PM
Thanks fellers.

John - Yup, I am indeed getting some splitting, even though the stuff was sealed, tarped, and kept outside in a frozen state. They're splitting outside before I bring them in. Nuts.

Mike - I messed up the camera setting again and it's way too yellowy/orange. The body is actually quite white in color. I'll take a new pic and repost.

Dick - Sure does take time, but seems worth it thus far.

Bob - Doh! I meant to type 8' x 3' x 4" thick:D. Actually, it is just the right size for a good bowl of B&J's White Russian, since I sized it to hold the entire container.

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 8:07 PM
Okay. Here are new pics with proper button pushed on the camera and same lighting as before. Amazing difference. This is much closer to real.

29390 29391

John Hart
01-11-2006, 8:20 PM
Wow!!!! Significant color difference!

I'm really worried about some splitting myself. I'm lucky right now that the temps are in the 40's and it's rainy. Seems to be buying me some time to get some of this stuff cut into smaller pieces and re-sealed. At least spalted wood is a little more impervious to the splitting.

Cecil Arnold
01-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Looks very nice Andy, I didn't realize Hickory would split that bad.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-11-2006, 11:40 PM
THAT is some Beautiful wood, Andy.

You GOT ER DONE and did it proud!

Bruce

Michael Stafford
01-12-2006, 5:14 AM
Okay. Here are new pics with proper button pushed on the camera and same lighting as before. Amazing difference. This is much closer to real.

29390 29391

Yeah, now that is much better and much better looking. Great bowl!

Ed Scolforo
01-12-2006, 6:18 AM
OK, now I don't like it anymore ! :D

Mark Cothren
01-12-2006, 8:40 AM
Nice bowl and a great chunk o' Hickory! I have turned one piece of dry Hickory and several rough outs of green. The green cuts like butter. The dry cuts like - well, not butter...:D

Very nice bowl, Andy! Thanks for the pictures (both sets)!

John Miliunas
01-12-2006, 8:59 AM
Yup, I'm with the rest who enjoy the coloration of the spalting! Very nice piece, Andy! Good luck with the rest of your stock, as well. Keep those pics coming!:) :cool:

Bill Stevener
01-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Andy,
Great looking bowl, the finish shows it's worth the wait. That must be one tough bowl as it beaning hickory.
When we lived in up state N.Y. there was an abundance of hickory, you noted it was from Con. Do you not have hickory in Main, I have been there a number of times, however never took inventory of the tree species.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
01-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Bill - I'm sure Hickory grows up here, but I've never actually run across it (of course, I 've never gone looking for it either). However, I did run across this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26568)and the opportunity was just begging to be jumped on. So I did (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27105). Actually, it turns very easily. But since it's spalted there is a ton of punky wood that must be romoved before you get to the good stuff. And it's also splitting on me while still outside and frozen. So next week, I'm gonna blow off all responsible things to do and complete all the roughing so as to salvage what I can.