PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening with strop or buffer wheel

Dale Critchlow
01-11-2006, 5:01 PM
I am experimenting with a new M-Power Sharpening System which uses diamond stones for sharpening chisels and hand plane blades. It actually seems to work quite well for a beginner like me. However, one of the limitations of the system is that the finest diamond stone available is 600 grit. In case you are interested, the system is described at:

http://www.m-powertools.com/products/pss1/pss1.htm

I am considering buying a strop or a buffing wheel to further sharpen the edge. But, I have never used either.

I am hoping that some of you sharpening pro's could give me some advice. What are the pro's and con's of each? I notice in the catalogues that there are a number of options for each. Which is the best for this application?

Dale Critchlow

Don Baer
01-11-2006, 7:37 PM
Hi Dale;
I'm no where near a sharpining guru but I do manage. I use the scary sharp method and sharpen to 2000 grit for my irons and chisels. I have a piece of leather that I got at a leather craft store and use it as a strop. Works for me.

Alan Turner
01-12-2006, 6:30 AM
Dale,
It is a matter of taste, to some extent, but I prefer not to use a strop or buffing wheel on edge tools, with the exception of carving gouges, which are double beveled anyway. I find that the rounding over produced by these methods leaves me with an angle that is random, and not what I chose. I grind on a Tormek, although not often as it is not needed, and then hone, with a jig for major work, or freehand while at the bench, and either way I am able to hold the desired bevel or micro bevel. But, as I noted, others will disagree with this approach. Going from 600 grit to a strop might not get rid of the scratches of the 600.

tod evans
01-12-2006, 8:45 AM
dale, i made a power strop by gluing leather to a baltic birch disc and mounting it on a low speed buffer. i use the side of the wheel for my edge tools and out cannel gouges with good results. i don`t like a conventional buffing wheel due to the fact it will roll over the edge. for incannel gouges and v tools i use leather wheels on a slowed down die grinder with good results..........02 tod