PDA

View Full Version : Work that didn't explode, crack et al.

Pat Jeddy
01-11-2006, 4:09 PM
Well, here is the semi-presentable stuff.

In order:
Cherry 3 1/2 inch dia.
Red Cedar 3 1/2 dia.
Ambrosia Maple 5 1/2 dia.

Keith Burns
01-11-2006, 4:25 PM
Way to go Pat ! Glad you got the first rule so quickly:D . Those are very nice. I especially like the second lamp. Great Form:) . Also need to know wood type and sizes. Whatever Andy says take with a grain of salt:)

Jim Dunn
01-11-2006, 4:40 PM
Very talented lady, and welcome to the creek.

Jim

PS watch your back if you post any nice wood:)

Dick Parr
01-11-2006, 5:00 PM
Very nice Pat, they all look good.:)

Andy Hoyt
01-11-2006, 5:22 PM
.....Whatever Andy says take with a grain of salt:)

But what if I liked the stuff? How's that gonna make her feel when she doesn't believe me. Oh! I know. "Pat, I hate 'em. Hate 'em all.":D

Bob Noles
01-11-2006, 5:35 PM
Wow Pat..... You are going to be great to have around. That is some EXCELLENT work and thanks for sharing it with us.

John Hart
01-11-2006, 6:06 PM
Very pretty work Pat. So...did you do some extra hollowing to prevent the cracking? I'm very familiar with watching wood crack...It's my favorite activity. :)

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 6:13 PM
Very nice, Pat! :) Say, what kind of lamp inserts are those, anyway??? They look interesting! Anyhow, good job! Oh, and just don't pay attention to what Andy says...He's just jealous!:D :cool:

Pat Jeddy
01-12-2006, 12:53 AM
The lamp inserts are Confetti lamps. You can get them at Craft Supplies and Packard Woodworks. They burn paraffin oil. You can get diffusers for the top for scent/essential oils. I figure if I'm going foist this stuff on friends and family, it would be best if it had a real purpose. Plus, I love candles.
I guarantee you'll see more candle holders, etc. in future.

Pat Jeddy
01-12-2006, 1:08 AM
well.....I cheated....forstner bit and a jam chuck. Actually, I got the idea off the Internet, you drill the hole at the center of your blank at a diameter relative to the glass insert. Chuck on the lathe with a Jacobs chuck and expanding sanding drum (correct size) This lets you shape the lamp to your liking including finishing the bottom of the piece. My twist on this was that I only drilled about halfway initially then went back to the drill press after finishing the lamp and drilled until the insert fit flush to the top. Glue it in with 100% silicone adhesive (so the glass will move with the wood) and there it is. If you look closely on the cedar piece, I rechucked it a little too tight and a crack formed. It's fun to do these because I can experiment with shapes and not worry about hollowing. Yet.....

Pat Jeddy
01-12-2006, 1:16 AM
Andy would not lie to me because he loves a Retriever. It doesn't matter if she's a dummy, I'll bet she's smart about what she's smart about. In the case of my blondie retriever, he's smart about ONE thing. B*A*L*L* -
I needed to spell it because if I said it out loud, well....

And, Andy is a former Bay Area person and understands. So, I trust him.

"Silly woman!!," they all said.

Mark Cothren
01-12-2006, 8:42 AM
Nice work, Pat. Lookin' forward to seein' more of it!

Thanks for the pictures!

Jesse Merino
01-12-2006, 9:35 AM
Pat, I love to see good work, some day, I may have an example, but, until then, can I borrow yours? LOL...Jesse

Carole Valentine
01-12-2006, 9:41 AM
Good job, Pat! Now we need pics of your pooch. Mine is half lab/half goldie...best of both worlds! And absolutely NOTHING dumb about her. She's smarter than most people I know...including me.:D

Pat Jeddy
01-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Here are our children. Sydney is 5 and Chester is 7. Sydney is smart and a knucklehead all at the same time. Chester, well can you say "BALL!"? They are both the loviest dogs we've ever had. We adopted Sydney last year, but have known him well his entire life. We've had Chester since he was 8 weeks old.

Carole Valentine
01-12-2006, 7:35 PM
Love 'em!:D:D My brother's Border Collie is named Sydney (after my Grandfather)