PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw advice for continuous use

Jonathan Jung
07-15-2021, 10:47 AM
I'm looking for a jigsaw that can handle hours of continuous cutting of 4/4 hardwoods. Without getting hot.

The Bosch JS572EBK is a great saw, but gets so hot I have to keep taking breaks. Even wearing gloves isn't enough. It's a wonder it doesn't shut itself down. I've got a handful of different blades to try from and try to use fresh blades.

Would the Carvex, Mafell, or other option be up for this? For my application a bandsaw won't work. I don't mind stopping once in a while, but with my Bosch I'm stopping every 5-10 minutes.

Edward Weber
07-15-2021, 11:09 AM
Have you ever considered a pneumatic saw, I know bosch has one Bosch 7561-118, that's just one example, there are other brands

Dave Sweeney
07-15-2021, 11:47 AM
Pretty sure you're over taxing the design of your jigsaw. In your place, I'd consider having an extra or two one hand for convenience if this is something you do a lot.

Keegan Shields
07-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Yep, buy two more and rotate them out would be the simplest solution. I have a Carvex which has been the best jigsaw I've owned (compared to a Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt versions). What operations are you doing continuously and could you use a different tool to do some of the work? What about a little 9" bandsaw or a scroll saw for the job site?

Jonathan Jung
07-15-2021, 1:09 PM
Man, that air jigsaw looks great. I'd need a bigger compressor to run it though...27cfm!

Here's what I'm doing. up to 6' panels of multiple boards.

Jim Becker
07-15-2021, 1:18 PM
I suspect all of these were never intended for continuous use of the motors and mechanism. I'm not surprised if they heat up. I'll second the motion that having two so you can switch off is likely a good solution. I'd personally stick to the same brand/model so switching back and forth is seamless in feel and function.

I have the older Festool...it was actually the first Festool I bought...and it works well, but I've never used it for long periods of time. It does run warm, but my hands like that anyway. LOL

glenn bradley
07-15-2021, 1:18 PM
Since you are looking to buy something else anyway I would just buy a second saw of the type you already have. It is obviously up to the task and you would just switch back and forth as the temps rose.

OOPS! Dave already said that :o

George Yetka
07-15-2021, 5:13 PM
Im not sure how possible, but perhaps you switch to a d-handle and find away to liquid cool the motor.

Eric Schmid
07-16-2021, 12:12 AM
I have had the barrel grip Carvex for quite a few years. I’ve not noticed it getting hot, but also probably never run it for long periods. It’s a bit of a finicky machine and overpriced when you add in the accessory kit. I’d try the Mafell if I were starting over. Bosch makes good jigsaws, or at least they once did.

If you haven’t delved deep into the various blades, you might start there. The correct blade for your project can transform even a mediocre saw; take a lot of load off the motor.

Frank Pratt
07-16-2021, 12:48 AM
Since jig saws are not very expensive, I'd get a couple extra & rotate them, as others have suggested. BTW, those panels are beautiful.

Lee Schierer
07-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Which blades are you using? Try the Progressor T234X blades or the T101B blades both will give you smooth cuts, and use the orbital feature so the sawdust can clear out of the cut better. Just how long an interval are you cutting?

Jonathan Jung
07-17-2021, 1:35 AM
Haha, that was my dad's idea. Some sort of water radiator.
Im not sure how possible, but perhaps you switch to a d-handle and find away to liquid cool the motor.

Jonathan Jung
07-17-2021, 1:37 AM
It's been suggested to me on another forum (festoolownersgroup) to look into the Mafell jigsaw. It can run double thick blades which will cut my workflow time in half, and hopefully be able to handle the stress. Timberwolf tools will let me buy it, try it, and send it back if I don't like it for a 85% refund.

Jonathan Jung
07-17-2021, 1:40 AM
My next panel would take about 2 days of cutting, with letting my single jigsaw cool down every 10 minutes. Approx 120 linear feet of joints, which require 3-5 passes...so 600 linear feet of ripping 4/4 hardwood is not out of the question.

I've been using both Bosch and Festool blades. The orbital feature can't be higher than 1 or else the cut quality on curves is reduced.

Which blades are you using? Try the Progressor T234X blades or the T101B blades both will give you smooth cuts, and use the orbital feature so the sawdust can clear out of the cut better. Just how long an interval are you cutting?

Rich Engelhardt
07-17-2021, 6:41 AM
Timberwolf tools will let me buy it, try it, and send it back if I don't like it for a 85% refund.FYI - in case you didn't know already. Festool has a 30 day money back guarantee.

Jonathan Jung
07-17-2021, 9:41 AM
FYI - in case you didn't know already. Festool has a 30 day money back guarantee.

Yes, I have a wall full of Festool. Haven't sent a single one back, other than a HKC that wouldn't start up.

Mike Kees
07-17-2021, 10:11 AM
Hey Johnathan I looked at your picture of the panels you build. Why do you need to cut everything with a jigsaw ? Trying to figure out why a bandsaw would not speed things up for you. I really like the panel you showed ,very nice work.

johnny means
07-17-2021, 11:20 AM
If I knew that was a product I was going to be doing on a regular basis, I'd be looking at setting up a bandsaw. Cutting that with a jigsaw seems like something that would qualify as torture under the Geneva Convention.

Rick Potter
07-17-2021, 12:18 PM
I also would consider a bandsaw with a big table.

Another thing to consider with that much jigsaw use is the possibility of ending up with carpal tunnel problems.

I agree with the suggestions to use multiple D handle jigsaws.

My 2 cents.

Andy D Jones
07-17-2021, 5:37 PM
Just throwing this out there, but...

Brushless jigsaw motors will run much cooler than brushed ones (whether cordless or corded.)

But I don't know of any corded portable power tools that use brushless motors. So you just need enough batteries such that you and the recharger(s) can keep up.

That said, the jigsaw mechanism itself is not without significant friction, especially if pushed hard in hardwood. And that won't matter whether the tool is corded or cordless (except there is an incentive to reduce friction from cordless tools to increase run-time.)

But like most others here, I can't imagine any jigsaws are really designed for the continuous use you need.

This may go without saying, but small jigsaw blades are also not designed for continuous cutting. There's not enough teeth to distribute the wear/heat over, or metal to absorb such heat, so they will relatively quickly dull and require more force, thus increasing the friction in the jigsaw mechanism, and work required from the motor.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Rich Engelhardt
07-18-2021, 5:25 AM
Yes, I have a wall full of Festool. Haven't sent a single one back, other than a HKC that wouldn't start up.Just thought I'd mention the Festool since you mentioned Timberline would let you return the Mafell.

Too bad they don't make the old worm drive bayonet saw (Porter Cable I think) anymore. Those things ran all day long and stayed cool as a cucumber.
IIRC, they were mostly for metal though.

Dan Friedrichs
07-18-2021, 9:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, what's your procedure for cutting those panels?

Do you stack the two adjacent boards and cut both simultaneously, or cut one then draw a line on the next?

Once cut, you chamfer the cut edge on a router?

Beautiful work!

Charles Lent
07-18-2021, 12:17 PM
I'm wondering what the end use for these is? Maybe they don't need to be cut into separate strips at all, if they are just going to be put up side by side as a decorative wall. If that is the case, maybe using a router with a V groove bit instead of a saw would achieve the appearance without using a saw and also make them easier to put up.

If they must be cut apart, then the others seem to have that covered quite well.

Charley

Bill Dufour
07-18-2021, 3:30 PM
Why not a scroll saw or a top mount jig saw for unlimited throat depth? Thos ecan be much heavier duty then a hand held tool.
Bill D