PDA

View Full Version : Craft Paper

tim walker
07-14-2021, 8:16 PM
I used to have a roll of purple craft paper about 36" wide that I used for painting protection and glue ups. What do you all use and where do you get it?

Ralph Okonieski
07-14-2021, 8:25 PM
Plain old, cheap wax paper is my choice. I did use craft paper at one time, but after running out switched to the generic wax paper. With judicious placement when gluing, several uses can be achieved. For items such as dresser tops, the narrower width may fit nicely between the clamps. It just depends on the item.

Frederick Skelly
07-14-2021, 8:25 PM
I buy a roll of heavy brown paper - alot like a heavy paper bag - at Home Depot. It's about 36" wide and a roll lasts me a good while.

Brian Tymchak
07-14-2021, 8:26 PM
I bought a roll of rosin paper like this (https://www.homedepot.com/p/TRIMACO-Trimaco-Easy-Mask-3-ft-x-167-ft-Red-Rosin-Medium-Weight-Paper-35145/202040751) several years ago at Home Depot although I think it was a longer length.. Still using on it although it is getting to its end.

Mark W Pugh
07-14-2021, 9:00 PM
I buy a roll of heavy brown paper - alot like a heavy paper bag - at Home Depot. It's about 36" wide and a roll lasts me a good while.

This. Go by the paint isle.

Paul F Franklin
07-14-2021, 9:15 PM
I used to use the heavy brown craft paper, like Frederick Skelly, but was always a little frustrated by the way it always wanted to curl up. The rosin paper is much the same. I picked up a roll of Ram Board that contractors use to protect stuff during construction. It's quite a bit heavier than the craft paper. It curls a lot less than the paper, just a little at the very ends, with no tendency to roll itself back up. And I believe one side is treated to slow liquids seeping through, which is handy for finishing or doing oily jobs. I have a couple of lengths cut to fit my assembly table, my bench, and the top of my saw and use them when gluing or finishing or other messy jobs. I've been using the same pieces for a year or so and they are still going strong. When I'm done with them, I loosely roll them up for storage, and they unroll and lay flat when needed. The stuff wasn't expensive, especially considering how long it lasts.

Doug Garson
07-14-2021, 11:41 PM
I saved a few large cardboard boxes, flattened them and use them to cover my assembly table when painting or finishing.

Wayne Cannon
07-15-2021, 6:06 AM
Butcher paper is used here -- the kind that is coated to be semi-water resistant.

Jim Becker
07-15-2021, 9:34 AM
I have a roll of craft paper I got years ago as well as a roll of rosin paper that was left in the gara...err...shop...here at the new place by the previous owner. I do use paper from time to time to cover the bench or other surfaces, but also keep a piece of cardboard that's "bench sized" for general protection. It was cut out of a very large box that "something" came in years ago. One side I keep clean and the other side gets used when paint, etc., is involved. I slide ie behind a cabinet here at the new place and at the old shop, it was leaned against the wall in the DC/compressor closet.

Bradley Gray
07-15-2021, 9:49 AM
+1 for red rosin paper

Rich Engelhardt
07-15-2021, 10:20 AM
Menards runs some off the wall stuff on sale - sometimes for prices too low to pass up.
Red rosin paper is one of those items.

So yeah - +3 or 4 for red rosin paper.

John K Jordan
07-15-2021, 12:23 PM
The building suppliers that cater to the trades carry large rolls of heavy paper, much heavier than normal kraft paper. This is often taped down to protect floor while working.

You can type KRAFT PAPER ROLL into the Amazon search field for lots of options.

If you happen to have a newspaper or industrial printing company nearby they sometimes give way paper when the rolls start to get low. I used to get plenty of paper from a local newspaper before they started farming that out. They had both newsprint and heavier white paper. (I still have lots of that!)

JKJ

Alan Lightstone
07-15-2021, 8:07 PM
I get mine from U-Line. Although the last roll I got was thinner (40lb) than my previous one, and I can't wait until it's used up so I can get a thicker roll. I think 60# paper was my original, better choice. My $0.02

Osvaldo Cristo
07-15-2021, 9:54 PM
I use cheap disposable 100 liter bags for waste. Sometimes I open two of the sides to get them bigger.

John Jardin
07-16-2021, 6:56 AM
Further to John Jordans suggestion, corrugated box manufacturers do the same thing.
If you have one near by, try to get to their dumpster and you will be treated to a great roll of craft paper that will last you a long time

Mike Soaper
07-16-2021, 7:30 AM
Saw some rolls of heavy brown paper in a restaurant supply store the other day, around here restaurants use it when serving steamed blue crabs

roger wiegand
07-16-2021, 7:42 AM
Amazon delivers new bench protectors to me on a near daily basis. I take out whatever was inside, flatten them out, and voila!

I also have the leftover roll of rosin paper from laying the flooring in my house and shop, and about a mile of heavy plastic vapor barrier when that seems appropriate to the task. Buying anything new for the task doesn't seem to be in the cards for years to come yet.

Kevin Jenness
07-16-2021, 8:26 AM
For large areas cardboard can be a good masking material. Any active cabinet shop will have dozens of 4x8 cover sheets from their plywood shipments.

George Yetka
07-16-2021, 8:32 AM
brown paper here. I dont have an assembly bench just a workbench So I will roll out the paper for bench. I also often have large pieces of cardboard on the bench for small projects and rattle can spraying. I pull out the wax paper to protect the parallel clamps

John K Jordan
07-16-2021, 10:19 AM
brown paper here. I dont have an assembly bench just a workbench So I will roll out the paper for bench. I also often have large pieces of cardboard on the bench for small projects and rattle can spraying. I pull out the wax paper to protect the parallel clamps

I do that too! I also tape down large sheets of white poster board (free from the credit union - left over calendars, blank on the back side) when I'm doing something delicate like fine electronic/mechanical assembly. Makes it easier to work with tiny sub-assemblies.

But the best is some wide rolls of aluminum-backed mylar (think tough potato chip bag material), thousands of feet on a roll.
I cover the bench with that when doing something messy.

How messy can it get? Here two vet students are dissecting a peacock on the small workbench between the lathes. It was fascinating!

JKJ

Patrick McCarthy
07-16-2021, 12:25 PM
Red rosin or Ram board if a big area, otherwise i use parchment paper from LOML cooking supplies, especially to cover the bar on Bessey clamps.

Tom Bender
07-22-2021, 4:19 PM
I use blue tape to protect the bars on parallel clamps, plastic on the main bench and a piece of corrugated plastic board on the small bench where I do most finishing

Bill Dufour
07-22-2021, 5:03 PM
Teacher's supply house will have the paper and holders as well. 30, 36, 48 wide are common. When I worked at a publisher we got stacks of new blank newsprint paper the size of a unfolded newspaper by the pallet. Some times it was printed, usually ads
Bill D