PDA

View Full Version : Home depot retun policy changing August 1

Bill Dufour
07-13-2021, 9:16 PM
FYI: Starting August first home depot will no longer take returns without a receipt. If it was on a credit card you should be okay, within 60 days.
No receipt, no refund no store credit, no nothing. I have 10-20 dollars worth of stuff I need to return before then. Receipts lost during a move or at least lost in a garage somewhere.
Bill D

Gangs had been hiring homeless to steal stuff for them. Then hiring others to return it for store credit which they sold on clist for cash.

Dave Sabo
07-13-2021, 11:43 PM
This has been the policy at select stores for about a month now.

Not sure how the selected were chosen though.

Believe your c.c. info is searchable for 90 days though.

George Bokros
07-14-2021, 7:27 AM
My understanding has been if you purchased on a Home Depot credit card you could return up to a year. I do no know if that policy requires a receipt or not.

Jim Becker
07-14-2021, 9:12 AM
I'm not surprised and don't have an issue with this. Retail theft is a huge "business" and many places that had relatively liberal return policies can no longer afford to do so without passing on the cost to legitimate customers. For folks who know they historically "collect" stuff and return in batches, either keep your paper receipts in a box or take advantage of the electronic receipts that Home Depot and others will send to the email address of your choice.

Alex Zeller
07-14-2021, 3:07 PM
I talked with a guy working a cash register at the local Lowes. He said their tool section is near the overhead door and to prevent someone from just walking behind the cash register and out the door is a partition wall. Often teams of people will grab stuff and one guy will toss it over the wall to another guy who will run out the door. Lowes has told staff not to pursue or confront those doing it. Just all the police. They do have camera's set up and I'm sure the police know all the usual suspects. Of course it just makes the stores raise prices to cover the theft so I'm fine with it.

I can't confirm it but I was told by a HD worker that they had a guy steal a 60 compressor that fell out of his truck as he was leaving. They had watched him do it but didn't stop him so police were on the way when he came back and tried to return it. Sounds kind of fishy to me but some career criminals aren't too bright.

Ian Lerew
07-14-2021, 7:26 PM
If you sign up for the pro xtra rewards you can have your card linked to it and it automatically emails you the receipt. You can also access your receipts in the HD app so no need to save paper receipts.

Jim Becker
07-14-2021, 7:35 PM
If you sign up for the pro xtra rewards you can have you card linked to it and it automatically emails you the receipt. You can also access your receipts in the HD app so no need to save paper receipts.
Consumers can do the same relative to the emails...once you provide an email at point-of-service (easy on the self-checkout), any time you use that credit card, you'll have the option to send an emailed receipt. If you use more than one card, you'll need to associate and email to that, too. 'Not sure about cash customers...I don't use that stuff! LOL

Dan Rude
07-15-2021, 12:28 AM
I like having my receipts emailed. The issue with the young workers at HD, they hit the button and I can't hit the email receipt fast enough. :mad: Dan

Robert Mayer
07-15-2021, 9:13 AM
I honestly cant believe they would ever let someone return something without proof (being receipts or CC history).

Jim Becker
07-15-2021, 9:17 AM
I like having my receipts emailed. The issue with the young workers at HD, they hit the button and I can't hit the email receipt fast enough. :mad: Dan
That's a major reason why I use the self-checkout as much as practical.

Alan Lightstone
07-15-2021, 8:10 PM
That's a major reason why I use the self-checkout as much as practical.

Yeah, but even before Covid-19 I hated the thought of having to use the scanning wand that a billion people have touched with their dirty hands before you. And they NEVER clean it. Ewwww!!!! :eek:

John K Jordan
07-15-2021, 9:31 PM
I honestly cant believe they would ever let someone return something without proof (being receipts or CC history).

A Home Depot guy told me once a big theft item was work gloves. Maybe because they could be stuffed into clothes? People would steal them, go out one door, and come in the other and return them.

Another guy told me people have returned larger boxed items like microwave ovens which were found to contain junk.

What's almost worse is the brazen theft by supposedly respectable people - I bought a sprayer once and found residue inside. Someone bought it, used it to spray their deck, then returned it. Free rental, eh? Shame.

JKJ

Doug Garson
07-15-2021, 11:19 PM
Years ago my local Lowes moved all their circular saw blades except display models which were firmly attached, to behind the check out counter. I asked about it and was told they were losing them to theft and were finding dozens of inventory control tabs which were peeled off and discarded under the shelves. The thieves, they believed were contractors who would grab a few, remove the tabs and stuff them under their coats and walk out. As far as I have noticed, that was the only item regularly being stolen, other items just as easy to steal are still on display.
I try my best not to misuse the return policy at any store but I use it when appropriate. I have a shop vac hose from Home Depot I just bought and I intend to return with the receipt, unused in the original box. After I got it home I decided I wanted a longer hose and ordered one from Amazon since HD didn't have a longer one.

julian abram
07-15-2021, 11:31 PM
I've always returned items to HD and Lowes with a receipt. I didn't know that would accept a return without one. No problem.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2021, 11:56 PM
I am surprised how people try to steal or cheat places like Lowes and HD. I was shopping in our local HD for a carpet shampooer. A guy saw me looking at them, walked up and brazenly suggested I should use his method of buying one, using it and then bringing it back. I bring things back when they don't work but I certainly would not do that to escape renting or buying a tool or machine.

And then there is retail theft.

Jim Becker
07-16-2021, 9:15 AM
There has also been cross-store returning. Many common commodity items in plumbing, electrical, hardware, etc., come from the same manufacturers and have the same UPC codes at HD and Lowes and others. So theft at one store and return at another for a gift card without a receipt has happened. (I noticed the identical UPC codes during my recent temporary shop wiring project...same codes at HD, Lowes and a local independent hardware store)

Mike Wilkins
07-17-2021, 10:58 PM
No surprise on the return policy. I once worked at a home goods store similar to the big blue and orange places, and saw some wacky returns, such as a compressor returned with paint overspray all over it.
The store once had 6 Dewalt sliding miter saws disappear one Saturday; the crooks rolled them one at a time to the garden center and tossed over the fence to a waiting pick-up driver.
Us costumers ultimately pay for this.

Andrew More
07-18-2021, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I feel like I live at the HD, and most of my stuff goes on the credit card, but sometimes I pay cash. I think I've gotten store credit maybe a couple of times over the past couple of years, usually for little stuff here and there. I'll make sure to put everything on the card.

Oh, and for those of you who are pretty keen on doing the CC thing, I had an issue at Lowes the other day trying to return some stuff. I had bought about 48 Simpson Strong tie ties, and then decided I didn't need them. For some reason they were trying to cap the amount I could return, which seemed odd to me, because I had the receipt, and a legit reason to get that many. Told the clerk I'd take store credit, which was enough to fix the issue. Without the receipt I don't think that would have happened.

Bill Dufour
07-18-2021, 2:55 PM
Returning Simpson clips I have run into they did not to take them all since it was more then they had room on the shelf for. So they took 1/2 and I returned the rest in a week.
HD can have issues since there are three stores all within 5 miles of me. They sometimes expect me to care which store I bought it from when returning.
Bill D

Bryan Lisowski
07-18-2021, 6:38 PM
Part of the problem was store management let people return anything without receipts or in poor condition. I worked at HD and a guy returned all the wood he used as concrete forms. The stuff had concrete all over it, we told the manager we can’t inventory or even sell as cull lumber due to concrete on it, manager didn’t care so person got full refund. It used to be an inside joke that the only thing HD wouldn’t take back is your kids.

Dave Sabo
07-18-2021, 6:40 PM
Returning Simpson clips I have run into they did not to take them all since it was more then they had room on the shelf for. So they took 1/2 and I returned the rest in a week.
HD can have issues since there are three stores all within 5 miles of me. They sometimes expect me to care which store I bought it from when returning.
Bill D

That's a store, local , or regional thing. I return stuff bought in other states at any Depot in my neighborhood. I suppose it helps that the mother ship is a couple of miles from my house.

Ole Anderson
07-22-2021, 9:50 AM
scanning wand I think of it as a ray gun with the pistol grip and all...

Bill Dufour
11-19-2021, 12:09 PM
I went to the self service wrecking yard the other day. To get in you pay $2.00 and they have you electronically sign a release in case you hurt yourself. I barely read it. Then they take a picture of you. Not real sure why the changes. I know teens would pay for one entry then come out and their friend would go in as them the same day.
Bill D

Ed Aumiller
11-19-2021, 12:27 PM
Was at Lowes checking out... The man in front of me opened the drink cooler, took out an ice tea, drank half of it and put it back...as he was checking out, I mentioned that he forgot the ice tea... he denied it was his... the clerk did nothing... when I checked out, she told me that it was a common practice... and he did it often !!!

He is the owner of a local electrical contractor business.. when someone asks for an electrician I tell them what he did... that ice tea trick has cost him a lot business over the last few years... he stole maybe $1-2 but lost thousands because of it...

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2021, 12:59 PM
Even with the new policy, I have found the HD employees to be helpful in my experience. A few weeks ago I gutted a 20+ year old shower. I ordered over $3,000 worth of materials and hardware online from HD. My wife had given me a 3 day time to plan the remodel, make a list of required materials and get it ordered. I made a couple mistakes in my rush. When the materials arrived, some came to the store, some delivered to my home and some were in the store and I had to pick them up. I didn't get receipts in all cases. When I have had to return my mistakes in unused materials, the first time, the employee looked up my order and gave me the order number for future reference should I need it.

Bill Dufour
11-19-2021, 1:35 PM
[QUOTE=Ed Aumiller;3156175]Was at Lowes checking out... The man in front of me opened the drink cooler, took out an ice tea, drank half of it and put it back...as he was checking out, I mentioned that he forgot the ice tea... he denied it was his... the clerk did nothing... when I checked out, she told me that it was a common practice... and he did it often !!!
I would not let him or his employees into my house. No telling what he would eat/drink or steal. Good thing I do not have a teen age daughter to worry about as well.
Bill D
I would turn in that Lowes to the covid police for selling unsanitary food items. His saving a few cents could kill someone.