PDA

View Full Version : Cordless tool wars have begun DeWALT 36V

Michael Ballent
01-11-2006, 1:55 PM
Just got an e-mail from Dewalt with them coming out with 36V cordless tool. Lithium Ion batteries that weigh as much as the 18V Ni-Cad cousins... No mention on price... Bet it will be brutal though

http://www.dewalt.com/36v

Charles McKinley
01-11-2006, 2:06 PM
With all Dewalt production moved to China my future cordless tools will be Milwaukee or Festool. I just can't see paying the same $$$ for Chineese production. I forsee the same will happen to everything they keep from the PC and Delta lines unfortunately.

The 28v Milwaukee set is ~$730. USD.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-11-2006, 2:25 PM
I know one person who will be buying them, my old boss. He absolutely loves cordless tools. I am almost positive that he has every 18v tool dewalt makes. He also uses the cordless nailers. Anything to not have to run hoses or cords for him! :)

It is nice when working for him. He has so many batteries that there are always fresh ones ready :)

Per Swenson
01-11-2006, 4:36 PM
Thanks for the link Michael,

Still, carrying a 18 volt drill around all day is

akin to curling a concrete block. And I'm a big feller.

My opinion, this technology has a long way to go before

the power to weight to cost ratio makes this a hot seller to the trades.

I'm just saying.

Per

Matt Meiser
01-11-2006, 5:48 PM
I read somewhere they're thinking of making these things 120V and putting a cord on them to get rid of the battery weight. :eek: :D

Craig Stueve
01-11-2006, 6:07 PM
I read somewhere they're thinking of making these things 120V and putting a cord on them to get rid of the battery weight. :eek: :D
I don't know where some people come up with such wild and unfounded ideas.:p

What next..... are you going to tell me that Al Gore invented something called the internet.

Craig

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 6:10 PM

ROFLM.... I just spit up on my monitor! :D Funny thing is, I just opened up a little box which Brown dropped off with a little Milwaukee CQ angle drill (refurb), which will be dedicated to sanding work on the lathe!:D :cool:

Mark Rios
01-12-2006, 2:10 AM
With all Dewalt production moved to China my future cordless tools will be Milwaukee or Festool. I just can't see paying the same $$$ for Chineese production. I forsee the same will happen to everything they keep from the PC and Delta lines unfortunately.

I've talked to a few different tool reps and they say that the new Milwaukee 28.8 volt tools are just the 18 volt tools rewired. The Dewalt is supposed to be a brand new tool. I've used the Bosch 24 volt tools since they came out and I'm very happy with them. I've had a couple rebuilds under warranty and even one that Bosch paid for when it was two years out of warranty.

I tried out the Milwaukee in my local Borg and I wasn't very impressed. It was okay. Of course I couldn't tell anything about the lasting ability and power as the battery drained but I just didn't get a good feel out of it (other than the newness fell, always nice). Maybe I'm just too used to the feel of my Bosch.

John Piwaron
01-12-2006, 8:53 AM
You guys laugh, but at my company I designed a cordless product. It's great, does what we claim it will do, but customers complained of the products weight.

So, years later, I was instructed to design a cord adaptor for it. Go figure.

John Miliunas
01-12-2006, 9:23 AM
You guys laugh, but at my company I designed a cordless product. It's great, does what we claim it will do, but customers complained of the products weight.

So, years later, I was instructed to design a cord adaptor for it. Go figure.

Hey John, curious; What product would that have been???:confused: :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-12-2006, 9:30 AM
I've talked to a few different tool reps and they say that the new Milwaukee 28.8 volt tools are just the 18 volt tools rewired. The Dewalt is supposed to be a brand new tool. I've used the Bosch 24 volt tools since they came out and I'm very happy with them. I've had a couple rebuilds under warranty and even one that Bosch paid for when it was two years out of warranty.

I tried out the Milwaukee in my local Borg and I wasn't very impressed. It was okay. Of course I couldn't tell anything about the lasting ability and power as the battery drained but I just didn't get a good feel out of it (other than the newness fell, always nice). Maybe I'm just too used to the feel of my Bosch.

Mark, I hear you. I about jumped on the Makita drill/impact deal at Home Depot, but I just really like my bosch tools! I really didn't want to introduce another battery type. Now if bosch came out with a deal like that I would buy two!

Charles McKinley
01-12-2006, 9:38 AM
Hi Mark,

No arguments here on the ergonomics on the Bosch tools. I would consider them also.

In the 18v test in I thing fine home building the milwaukee and DW were one and two on battery strength and length on operating time.

I really liked the dewalt charging system that allowed different sized batteries to share the same charger and give you some more flexibility. I just now would rather buy something made in the US or Europe as opposed to China.

John Piwaron
01-12-2006, 9:59 AM
Mr. Miliunas,

I design electric barber clippers. Some customers claim the cordless clipper we sell is heavy, so I've designed a cord adaptor to go with it. So a person that owns one can have it both ways - battery if they need the portability, or cord if they don't and object to the weight. The battery and the adaptor are interchangeable.

John Miliunas
01-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Mr. Miliunas,

I design electric barber clippers. Some customers claim the cordless clipper we sell is heavy, so I've designed a cord adaptor to go with it. So a person that owns one can have it both ways - battery if they need the portability, or cord if they don't and object to the weight. The battery and the adaptor are interchangeable.

Yikes!!! "Mr."????? Whew...NOW I feel old!!!:rolleyes: :D Personally, I'd love to see some of our cordless tools have that same functionality!!! :) I think that's a neat feature, especially when having to lug an extra battery and/or charger with you may be inconvenient.:) :cool:

John Piwaron
01-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I resisted buying a cordless drill for very many years. I finally got my first one last January ('05) It's a Milwaukee 14.4v. Now I wouldn't go back. I'll just attend to the proper care and feeding of the battery pack as best I can.

I'm not so sure a cord adaptor for this product would be a good seller. I think I'd just as soon have another drill with a tail if that's what I needed. I've got multiple routers, why not multiple drills? (or sawzalls or.....)

Besides there's one other thing to consider - how the tool balances in your hand. The lack of the battery's weight might make the tool too heavy on the other end.

Tom Donalek
01-12-2006, 6:53 PM
Thanks for the link Michael,
Still, carrying a 18 volt drill around all day is akin to curling a concrete block. And I'm a big feller.
My opinion, this technology has a long way to go before the power to weight to cost ratio makes this a hot seller to the trades.
I'm just saying.
Per
It is a technology question - battery technology! Right now the 'better mousetrap' that would make you billions is better batteries - from tools, to laptops to cell phones to medical implants. If you came up with a technology that improved power-to-weight or lifetime by even 4x or 5x, you'd be set for life. That's why Panasonic does well in a lot of tests of cordless drills. They're a leading battery company, and drills just aren't that difficult to do reasonably well.

I wonder about all this 'escalation of voltage' stuff. "Wow! A 36v tool must be twice as good as a 18v one!" Sounds like the "Megahertz baloney" that goes on in the computer world. Bosch has a 24v cordless rotary hammer that folks have been using for years to drill safety anchors at rock climbing areas (3/8"x4" holes in solid rock - usually miles from the nearest outlet). I'll be interested to see if this new Dewalt stuff is much of an improvement.

Jim Becker
01-12-2006, 9:18 PM
I design electric barber clippers.
Now there's a tool I haven't seen in MANY years!! LOL...
------

As to the original subject of this thread...14.4v and 12v really do the job for me, so I doubt I'll be investing in something I need another person to help me hold level while driving a fastener!

Walt Pater
01-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Mr. Miliunas,

I design electric barber clippers. Some customers claim the cordless clipper we sell is heavy.

I'm the guy that complained. I dropped the cordless clippers on my head, and I've never recovered. See you in court. :)

Frank Chaffee
01-14-2006, 12:47 AM
…And what a very fine pate you have, Mr. Pater.

But had the clipper not been cordless, it may not have bounced off your hard head after completing its cut; the cord could have become wound around other of your body parts and continued shearing.

Enuf said for now, but you may wish to make a small payment in the sum of $10M to Mr. Piwaron to demonstrate your thankfulness.

Cheers,
Frank

John Piwaron
01-14-2006, 8:05 PM
HA HA HA HA

This forum is filled with clowns. :)

Mike Cutler
01-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm not so sure a cord adaptor for this product would be a good seller. I think I'd just as soon have another drill with a tail if that's what I needed. I've got multiple routers, why not multiple drills? (or sawzalls or.....)

You have one customer right here. I would really like to have all of my battery powered tools have a cord option, especially the bigger Milwaukee's

John Piwaron
01-15-2006, 7:36 PM
You have one customer right here. I would really like to have all of my battery powered tools have a cord option, especially the bigger Milwaukee's

The problem with this is that tool balance would change, possibly making it unwieldy to use. Not that it isn't a good idea, but some thought has to go into this.