PDA

View Full Version : Really black Claro walnut

Andrew Hughes
07-09-2021, 4:33 PM
I have something I think is worth sharing. Not very often do I see walnut this black. My friend Hal gifted me this air dried claro walnut.
The other wood is dog wood and holly. The last bit that John k Jordan gifted me. Holly is also a treat to carve.
I put this in the carving section because it’s a little tiny bit of wood turning and a ton of carving.
Handtool work in air dried wood is a real treat.

Mel Fulks
07-09-2021, 7:35 PM
Yes! That is dark …looks like cast iron! Good job on the texturing.

Andrew Hughes
07-09-2021, 8:32 PM
Thanks Mel. My friend that gave me the wood said it came from the stump left of a claro walnut that measured almost 4ft across.
He even had a piece that show the graph line. First time I’ve seen one in real life. If this is real life :)
Thanks for comment

John K Jordan
07-10-2021, 8:33 AM
That's wonderful! (The carvings, too!)

I grab darker walnut when I come across it (not often) but I've never seen any that dark. All the claro I've had was much lighter and a more even color, even when figured. I hope you got a good stash of that!

JKJ

Phil Mueller
07-14-2021, 9:34 AM
Just saw this...beautiful work, Andrew. That walnut is amazing. Love the design and texturing.

Andrew Hughes
07-14-2021, 7:39 PM
Thanks Phil
Good Luck with everything :)

Maria Alvarado
07-22-2021, 4:21 PM
Beautiful work, you did that wood justice!

Paul Wasselman
08-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Beautiful!

John Strong
10-01-2021, 8:08 PM
Amazing work! Extremely beautiful wood, and pieces. I started down this thread to purchase a set of carving tools as a gift.. now I think I may need to buy myself a set as well!