PDA

View Full Version : New work camera suggestions

Warren Lake
07-08-2021, 6:20 PM
Ive had Panasonic bridge cameras for the last 15 years or so, First a DMC FZ28, then got an DMCFZ200 as my good camera and now on an DMC FZ300 as the good camera. Good cameras need to stay away from me when im working.

The 28 has always hung off my belt and there for constant documenting. Its been to war many times and finally pooped out, still works but doing some odd stuff. you an see the battle scars plus the home depot plumbing fitting as a lens cap. The cameras are good but found all the lens caps fell of constantly, weak point as well as that diopler thing for focusing the lens that always moves on the first two anyway.

So the FZ28 worked fine, had good zoom and was light compared to the other two so good on the belt to be with me all the time.

Any recommendations for something similar or smaller even. Has to put up with abuse and good if not phased by dust, That 28 had been out in the rain and tons of dust and grease working on cars and and it never minded and just kept going. Its a good ad for them all it has done. I think right now the zoom button is sticking and it zooms in and out on its own. past I sprayed WD in and compressed air and its been fine for years. Work camera can be a consumable but still like it to last some years, pretty sure htis one is towards 15 years old.

Will type in later and see what I can find and asked the camera guy and not heard back. And no I dont need a cell phone.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-08-2021, 6:26 PM
The LUMIX GX9 is a wonderful camera in the micro 4:3 format with great resolution and a very compact size. It is what I used for travel and wstreet photography before I upgraded to the Fuji XPro2. I could shove the LUMIX in a pocket and be discreet.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1439450-REG/panasonic_lumix_dc_gx9_mirrorless_micro.html

Warren Lake
07-09-2021, 12:00 AM
thanks,

that one is fancier than I need for a work camera, might be better than my good camera as well likely is. I see some of the Fz28 used for sale from 50 to 150.00 canadian and that would work for now id have an extra charger and batteries as well with the same one.

I guess this goes from point and shoot to bridge cameras to DSLR's Is that correct.

Erik Loza
07-09-2021, 8:49 AM
Warren, I know that you said you don't need a cell phone but maybe you do? I really don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to take pics or short video of customers' machines and instantly be able to email to technicians, etc. Not a tech geek but my Iphone (X) captures better images than the little digital cameras like you showed. Just sayin'.

Erik

Bernie May
07-09-2021, 9:32 AM
I have never seen a camera experience the abuse you have put it through and keep on working. No cell phone could put up with that abuse/use. Just get yourself another camera and keep doing what you have been doing.

Warren Lake
07-09-2021, 9:33 AM
gone 40 years without one and not much of an inconvenience. Only once delivered a job and had to stop and use a phone for them to open electric gates. maybe a few other times but people around me handed me one. When my parents home sold I could have used one as I wanted to keep working on it between showings. Turned out not to be needed and worked out fine. I think would be a good safety thing in case the old truck ever broke down.

I know the cells can do great work but doubt they are better than a camera with a real lens. I heard there is one Walrusway one that has a massive digital zoom on it. I wont let the cabinet teachers niece read this she has ribbed me enough times that I dont have one. I usually dont fit in.

It also whatever it is has to put up with some abuse and be pretty rugged. My current good one can stand sawdust and even bit of rain. My camera guy has given me crap many times. Ive told him the work one is a tool for documenting stuff and like anohter other shop stuff it will get used and not babied. I tried WD and compressed air and it did stop it from zooming in and out but its stuck in the out position., That is all it is the zoom portion is stuck or just plain worn out.

Its in the back of my mind but really so far not been a drag not having one.

Erik Loza
07-09-2021, 9:57 AM
No cell phone could put up with that abuse/use.

Not to argue, but my experience has been the opposite. I've damaged cameras by dropping them but on the other hand, dropped my phones on concrete countless times and never damaged them beyond a cracked screen protector. Unlike cameras, they make really awesome protective cases for mobile devices that are designed specifically for rugged use: Otterbox, UAG, etc.

Again, Warren, if you don't want a smart phone, then you don't want a smart phone but I cannot remember the last time I saw anyone in the trades doing anything with something OTHER than a mobile device.

Erik

George Yetka
07-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Id say go mirrorless
Im on canon 5d but have access to cannons new mirrorless line and its very nice. They are bigger than you are looking for though

Sony Alpha line may be your best bet (a7 III for photography A7s III for video)

Alan Rutherford
07-09-2021, 12:52 PM
My current phone/camera has had a cracked screen for a year now and still going strong. I treat it like most people would treat a camera or phone and I don't know how it would stand up to your job requirements.

But about cell phones as cameras: they still work even without the cell service. There are tons of iPhones and others with excellent photographic ability out there that no one wants any more because they got the latest and greatest.

They also work as web browsers if you have wireless internet access.

Warren Lake
07-09-2021, 9:00 PM
I dont think any cell could stand up to what this one hs been through. I also hang this off a carabeener not sure a cell has an attachment though could change where it resides

THe the FZ200 took a bad whack and was never right, walking past a windsor chair and the strap caught and arm. FZ300 is babied all the time. Camera guy sent FZ1000 and I said no you are not getting it. that one is 1k canadian. its not needed for a work camera. I might pick up a used FZ28 just to tied me over as I put time into it. I figured point and shoot must have advanced by now. Since it is always hanging off a tool belt or pant belt light is good and I probably dont need the zoom this one has but its nice i think 28 -400 MM if im remembering correctly.

Erik I haven had a cell for 40 years of being self employed so why would I need one now. If some change happens and I do need one id consider it. Work is word of mouth and people find find you. I got lots of work in the US and had no cell,

Here is the back side of the panasonic where it ended up, it still works just the zoom is stuck in the zoomed out position. Before I blew it out with compressed air with some WD in first it was zooming in and out on its own, likely I could resesitate it.

Other photo is the type of phone that a past customer had. I guess this was the start of everyone thinking they had to have a phone and instant service or instant questions answered.

the past like one customer had, no phone back then and as big as a lunch box planer

John K Jordan
07-09-2021, 11:05 PM
Id say go mirrorless
Im on canon 5d but have access to cannons new mirrorless line and its very nice. They are bigger than you are looking for though

Sony Alpha line may be your best bet (a7 III for photography A7s III for video)

Warren, if looking for something pocket-sized and better than many PHD cameras (Push Here Dummy), one of the tiny Canon Powershot Elph cameras would be my first choice. I've had several models over the years. The lens has a cover that automatically closed for protection. Reasonable optical zoom. I always carry one in my pocket when traveling to Europe and around the US when I don't want to carry a larger camera. (a Canon 70D)

One nice thing you can do with camera with a small lens is use one side of binoculars as a zoom lens. The first photo is with the camera zoomed in as far as it can (Glacier Nat. Park) and the second is with it held up to the binoculars.

460848 460849

I do like the mirrorless cameras. I have three Lumix GX85 mirrorless and just today bought a Lumix G85. All these have HDMI output and excellent imaging, great for video production.

For anyone interested I connect them to a Roland 4-camera switcher, an Atomos NinjaBlade to record on SSD drives, and edit with DaVinci Resolve. Just bought a teleprompter. (I'm creating instructional videos in my shop.)

460850 460851 460852 460853

Good clean fun!

JKJ

Warren Lake
07-10-2021, 11:33 AM
Geez John

you are really set up well. I will look up the camera you said.

Im still going to buy a used same camera it makes total sense then no pressure keep working and i can look into these other ones. Makes sense to have a back up, I do that with all the machines as i had deadlines that were sometimes but then great customers same time.

Im just doing a favour for a neighbour, went to use the SCM saw not used for a while and wont run. Checked fuses and just turned to one of the general saws and did it. No back up would not have got done. THe SCM larger blades and I was looking at one cut that would have benefited from that. Point is there was another saw to turn to and get it done.

Documenting all stuff is important to me. I took the starter out of the truck, it was a pain with headers and the trans lines in the way. I ended up pushing then hard to the side to get the starter out, while under there take lots of photos then on a forum show them what I did and get the okay I did it the right way. camera with me all times while under there easy to document it, I often see things later on a computer screen that I did not see in front of me in real life. Hands greasy at the time work camera fine to use, good one stays in the carrying pouch and not safe to come with me at that time

glenn bradley
07-10-2021, 12:05 PM
For snapshot type photos my phone out performs my Canon Rebel, is lighter, takes more pics and offers onboard editing (crop, filters, etc.). You could buy an iPhone or an Android a few years old for a couple hundred bucks and just use the camera (no Phone service). Just an idea . . AND . .. they make all sorts of bullet proof cases for them that stay on while in use.

Mike Hollingsworth
07-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Phone cameras have surpassed all but the most expensive pro gear.
My Canon Mirrorless system will probably be sold when my phone gets updated.

OP, why not get a mint condition FZ200 on eBay? $10? $12?
All your Home Depot accessories will fit like a charm.

Mark Hennebury
07-10-2021, 12:54 PM
Warren, I am pretty sure that the manufacturers would give you a free new camera if you let them use yours for advertising.

Mike Henderson
07-10-2021, 1:07 PM
The new smartphones take excellent pictures because they use computational photography. If you're dead set on a camera, make sure it's a mirrorless.

I thought I'd never use a smartphone for good photography but now, I think the pictures are better than the regular cameras I've used. The only place a camera excels is in the ability to use long lenses. The iPhone 11 that I use has the equivalent of a 250mm lens on a 35 mm camera. There are times when I'd want longer.

Mike

andy bessette
07-10-2021, 1:43 PM
I dont think any cell could stand up to what this one hs been through....

That is the most abused camera I've ever seen. You should not consider a cell phone camera--in fact you should not even be permitted to own one. :)

Despite owning an insanely large camera collection, no matter where I go, I have my cell phone in my pocket, protected from abuse. The photos it captures are plenty good quality for most of my sharing needs.

https://i.postimg.cc/76GD1yHB/IMG-0430.jpg (https://postimg.cc/JDL9mvBJ)

Warren Lake
07-10-2021, 4:58 PM
if you think that is bad you should see my 35 year old Seiko watch :)

Mark I am a good beta tester. Ive modified and changed tools and complained, some ignore you and some listen. Ive had and mentioned that thought to people this speaks very nightly of your product.

I make my camera guy ill I think. He sent me photos of a camera in a bag and its taped to the lens all around. Right away I saw an improvement to cut out one end of my Home Depot plumbing fitting and just slide it over with the bag taped to it. Really I dont want a camera in a bag I just want to use it.

You are ganging up on me on the cell phone, whats next a car with power windows?

You might be right then often have to have stuff in my hands to see stuff not thought about with out having it in my hands and using it.

If a cell phone is not used as a cell phone is it still sort of a transmitter still? Not my thought other than just now talking out loud comes to mind.

One thing I wish was faster on that camera was the time it takes to digest photos.

On the left is 35 years of shop use before it gave up. NEver intended to make it a shop watch and likely havent had a watch on for some years. Went through many glasses and straps, lost the second hand after this photo. on the right its replacement, no second hand argh, never goes near the shop never.
'

John K Jordan
07-10-2021, 5:28 PM
The new smartphones take excellent pictures....

I prefer a good DSLR but the cell phone cameras are getting pert near to amazing.

A few years ago I got my first magazine cover photo published from a cell phone photo:

Well, it was a small specialty journal, but hey...
That day a production crew was shooting a TV documentary at a big llama ranch in Georgia.

JKJ

Kev Williams
07-11-2021, 1:35 PM
Just found this online-

https://youtu.be/sGGqAYY1WVU

something like this may help..?

Lee DeRaud
07-15-2021, 9:48 PM
I guess this goes from point and shoot to bridge cameras to DSLR's Is that correct.Yeah, but I've always considered anything with the small 1:2/3 sensors a P&S regardless of its form-factor or zoom range. A true bridge camera has a larger sensor, but smaller than the ones used in interchangeable-lens models. I've had a Lumix FZ1000 with the 1" Sony sensor for about five years now and would never go back to the smaller sensor. You get a lot (most?) of the advantage of the larger DSLR sensor while still having a long(ish) zoom.

(Did the SLR thing back in the film days, but I'm getting too old to justify hauling around that much glass, and the "right" lens is always in the bag, not on the camera.)

Lee DeRaud
07-15-2021, 9:56 PM
The new smartphones take excellent pictures because they use computational photography. If you're dead set on a camera, make sure it's a mirrorless.

I thought I'd never use a smartphone for good photography but now, I think the pictures are better than the regular cameras I've used. The only place a camera excels is in the ability to use long lenses. The iPhone 11 that I use has the equivalent of a 250mm lens on a 35 mm camera. There are times when I'd want longer.The problem with the current run of cell cameras isn't image quality, it's the ergonomics. I guess a case/attachment to provide a decent hand-grip would help some, but at that point you might as well just carry a camera around.

Warren Lake
07-15-2021, 10:33 PM
Lee ive gone from the FZ28 to the 200 and the 300. The 28 is light and hung off my belt. I can grab it working under a car or whatever and its comfortable simple and easy to use one handed.

Most of the stuff for documenting is up close. Quality it gave me was good enough as a documenting thing. If it was important then the 300 was used and way out performed the 28. Even if I wanted to use the 300 as a work camera it would not make sense as its heavier and I dont want that hanging off me with other stuff. When I did some roofs the tool belt with hand tools no power stuff was over 20 lbs though hardly ever use that belt now. I worked well if you were hanging some cordless stuff off you.

I got sidetracked with other things but still have to solve this. Went to the dump today, good camera with me when the 28 would have been fine and safer.

You sound well ahead of me on cameras. IS the 1000 a fair bit better than the 300? It works well enough for me. Im not making a living from a camera and if i was would have to have more than the 300 and learn more.

Mike Henderson
07-15-2021, 11:25 PM
The problem with the current run of cell cameras isn't image quality, it's the ergonomics. I guess a case/attachment to provide a decent hand-grip would help some, but at that point you might as well just carry a camera around.

I don't find it that hard to handle a smartphone as a camera. I much prefer a viewfinder but the smartphone is so much smaller and easier to carry than a camera. For travel, I started using cameras with small imagers but that closed up and would fit into my pocket. But low light performance was terrible - lots of noise in the picture. I kept going up in imager size - my last was an APS-C Nikon - but the camera (with lens) just became too large.

I finally gave up and went with the iPhone. It has it's problems, but is the best tradeoff for my needs.

Mike

John K Jordan
07-16-2021, 10:33 AM
The problem with the current run of cell cameras isn't image quality, it's the ergonomics. I guess a case/attachment to provide a decent hand-grip would help some, but at that point you might as well just carry a camera around.

I agree - the camera control ergonomics stinks. What I never liked was the position of what used to be called a shutter release on a real camera, quite awkward to touch. I tried the option to use a physical volume control button but that was worse when trying to hold the phone steady.

I finally found the option to put a separate shutter release button anywhere on the screen. I move it so I can more easily touch it with my right index finger.

BTW, I've taken several cell phones apart just for fun. It was fascinating how small the camera and lens is. To look at other components I used a low-power microscope. If anyone is interested, the vibration feature in a cell phone is implemented with a tiny motor spinning an off-balance weight.

JKJ

Warren Lake
07-16-2021, 10:58 AM
when I use the camera other than the home depot lens cap off all is done with one hand, can you do all with a cell one handed. Its simple and easy with one hand when you are under a car or whatever., I dont even look in the lens and the back screen was smashed on the 28 10 years ago, I just hold the camera up.

andy bessette
07-16-2021, 11:03 AM
...shutter release button... I move it so I can more easily touch it with my right index finger...

From decades of using my right index finger to operate a camera's shutter, that has become my default too. Though I have not found it necessary to relocate the cell phone's shutter release (using an iPhone 12 Pro.

Here's another shot from that phone.

https://i.postimg.cc/5Nh7QXgG/IMG-0149.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N5x7WfW7)

Lee DeRaud
07-16-2021, 11:09 AM
Lee ive gone from the FZ28 to the 200 and the 300. The 28 is light and hung off my belt. I can grab it working under a car or whatever and its comfortable simple and easy to use one handed.

Most of the stuff for documenting is up close. Quality it gave me was good enough as a documenting thing.
Ah. Actually, that's the exact kind of thing that phone cameras really do work well for. About half the pictures on my phone are Home Depot shelf-edge labels, paint color codes from can lids, that sort of thing.

IS the 1000 a fair bit better than the 300? It works well enough for me. Im not making a living from a camera and if i was would have to have more than the 300 and learn more.In terms of image quality, oh yes, definitely. But it's a true "bridge camera", halfway between the FZ100/200/300 and a true DSLR in size and weight. I don't think you'd have any trouble learning how to use it though, as it's controls are very similar to its smaller siblings.

Sometimes you really do need the right tool for the job.

Lee DeRaud
07-16-2021, 11:17 AM
I much prefer a viewfinder...Didn't even mention that, but yeah. Trying to frame a picture in bright sun on any exposed screen is a deal-breaker for me: I end up pointing the phone in the general direction and hoping I get something useful.

(Full disclosure: I'm spoiled. The viewfinder on the FZ1000 I mentioned earlier is as good as the one on the current Sony Alphas, and that's saying a lot.)

John K Jordan
07-16-2021, 5:00 PM
...Trying to frame a picture in bright sun on any exposed screen is a deal-breaker for me: I end up pointing the phone in the general direction and hoping I get something useful.

Is your screen brightness turned up? I have no problem seeing the screen on my phone even in direct sun. Auto brightness mode might help. Or maybe my phone just has a brighter screen. ??

Lee DeRaud
07-16-2021, 5:18 PM
Is your screen brightness turned up? I have no problem seeing the screen on my phone even in direct sun. Auto brightness mode might help. Or maybe my phone just has a brighter screen. ??I've got auto-brightness set on the new one (Samsung), but I've only had it a couple of weeks. If you turned up the screen on the old one, you could almost hear the battery draining down.

But I've had that issue with screen-only cameras as well, like the Canon Elph series. (GF's current one is a 180HS, I think the older one was a 100HS.)

Mike Henderson
07-16-2021, 9:20 PM
Is your screen brightness turned up? I have no problem seeing the screen on my phone even in direct sun. Auto brightness mode might help. Or maybe my phone just has a brighter screen. ??

I was taking pictures at the beach in bright sunlight and could not see the image on the screen of my iPhone 11 Pro. And that's with an OLED screen, not a LCD, and brightness turned up. I just pointed the back of the phone in the general direction figuring that I could crop in post processing.

That's one of the shortcomings of the iPhone when using it as a camera - but I still use it because of other advantages (like it produces good images and I can put it in my pocket).

Mike