PDA

View Full Version : Hey old guys

lowell holmes
07-08-2021, 3:04 PM
Check this site, it works.
I had a heart attack years ago and read about this, and I walk 1/2 mile daily.

It works,

https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-4157093

Myk Rian
07-10-2021, 8:51 AM
Retired in '04, heart attack in '05. I go for 4-5 walks a day. Gotta get out of the house at times.

Brian Elfert
07-10-2021, 9:19 AM
A big problem for me with walking at home is there is a minimal amount of road that is safe to walk. I'm not walking on a county highway that is 55 MPH with no shoulder. It also sucks to walk in the winter when the temperature is generally in the teens to twenties.

I know I need to walk more. I will take an occasional walk on a work break on the weeks I have to be in the office, but I find it hard waiting for traffic lights and then dodging all the people out walking their dogs.

Jim Koepke
07-10-2021, 10:48 AM
A big problem for me with walking at home is there is a minimal amount of road that is safe to walk.

That is pretty much the same for me. With the Silver and Fit program it was possible to get in a mile on a treadmill. Covid shut that down. That is also a bit difficult since it is at least an hour round trip into the local YMCA.

My daily walk to the mailbox is only about a quarter of a mile. Some days this is done early to give me a second trip. Walking around with my cats is a more leisurely walk than what would be ideal for exercise.

jtk

Tom M King
07-10-2021, 11:51 AM
I work, ride a stationary bike, and have a gym at home. Stopped trying to build muscle several decades ago, but just trying to maintain. Never stopped exercising. My 71st Birthday was about three weeks ago. My goal is to keep my resting heart rate at least 15 below my age. Don't drink anything but water for about 20 years now.

Kev Williams
07-10-2021, 3:19 PM
I hardly ever walk anywhere save for the aisle's at the grocery stores and Walmart ;)

However, I DO run a home business, I start around 9am and shut down around 2am. 2/3 of my equipment is in the basement, the other 1/3 in what used to be called "the garage"...

The wife got me a fitbit Sense for xmas- I piss it off because I won't 'add to my wallet' and pay for 'upgrades', but even so it keeps track of my walking, and I average over 10,000 steps a day, which 'they' say is about 5 miles- and half of that is on stairs.

So I don't really feel guilty about not pounding the sidewalks on foot. For that, I have my Segway Ninebot :D (and if you've ever taken a 7 mile trip on one, you know that THAT's a workout its own self!)

Bruce Wrenn
07-10-2021, 8:27 PM
Having a two story house, and an 800' long driveway helps us to stay fit. Mow the grass with a push mower. Am always on the go around the home forty (actually five acres.) During summer, working on plants in garden and starting new plants from cuttings. This means hauling pine bark, peat moss, perlite, sand, compost to old concrete mixer for blending, shoveling it in, and out of wheel barrow, then adding to pots. Lots of bend and stretch. Plus in last two weeks we have had three series of storms, which means plenty of debris to pick up. Burnt a pile the size of a small car yesterday. Wife and I both notice people our age look much and act much older than we do. Recently, a friend who is younger than wife, said for the young person (meaning wife) to climb in rear seat on van. Currently power washing house (two stories,) using ladders up to, and including 32' tall. In fall, planning on replacing shingles on back side of both shop and house myself. Hardest part is getting someone to help me get shingles onto roof, which we will do using ladder, rope and pulley, same as we did when we built house 41 years ago. At that time, our 12 YO son was the grunt pulling the rope. A bundle of shingles weighed 70#, and he weighed 72# at the time.

John K Jordan
07-10-2021, 9:36 PM
I have the perfect situation for exercise. I'm 71, moved to this 27 acre farm in '04, retired in '06. I put in lots of trails and gravel/dirt roads. It's about 1/4 mile walk just to the mailbox or the end of the horse pasture. When the weather is not pouring rain I prefer to walk everywhere unless I have something to haul or am in a big hurry. My Fitbit indicates I average 3-6 miles a day without leaving the property, sometimes less, sometimes more. I often make a dozen or more trips a day up and down the hill to the shop and barn. Good exercise herding peacocks and llama, moving horses, feeding/watering all the critters, hauling/stacking hay, carrying feed sacks, cleaning stalls, tending the garden, chainsawing, weed whacking, spot spraying, and even working the beehives. I have a hard time imagining walking on roads or sidewalks for exercise.

John Terefenko
07-10-2021, 11:15 PM
A big problem for me with walking at home is there is a minimal amount of road that is safe to walk. I'm not walking on a county highway that is 55 MPH with no shoulder. It also sucks to walk in the winter when the temperature is generally in the teens to twenties.

I know I need to walk more. I will take an occasional walk on a work break on the weeks I have to be in the office, but I find it hard waiting for traffic lights and then dodging all the people out walking their dogs.

All I am reading in this one is excuses. You can do better than that. I have been walking the last 6 years because I put on quite abit of weight. Try to walk 3 miles every 5 days a week. I had to put on hold the last 3 weeks because my knee went out on me and slowly getting back. But will for sure. Lost 60 lbs. That is insentive for me.

Bruce Wrenn
07-11-2021, 2:12 PM
Malls, and big box stores are great places to walk, no matter what the weather. As for losing weight, I shed over forty pounds over the last four years. Got rid of it the same way I put it on. One pound at the time. Weigh less now than when I was in my early fifties, 30+ years ago.

John K Jordan
07-11-2021, 4:10 PM
Malls, and big box stores are great places to walk, no matter what the weather. As for losing weight, I shed over forty pounds over the last four years. Got rid of it the same way I put it on. One pound at the time. Weigh less now than when I was in my early fifties, 30+ years ago.

That reminded me that my dad walked at a mall in PA every day as long as he was able. There was a regular "crowd" of mall walkers, usually first thing in the morning. The mall had signs with a map of the route and describing how many circuits added up to a mile.

I walked with him a time or two when visiting, back before I finally got serious and lost over 50 lbs. I was out of breath trying to keep up with him!

JKJ

Bob McBreen
07-12-2021, 9:36 AM
About ten years ago I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. Neurologist said, The more you move, the more you will be able to move & disease doesn't take a day off. I walk over 4,000 miles a year and average 25K steps per day.

I know that I will lose the war but it sure it fun to win some of the battles.

Brian Elfert
07-12-2021, 10:40 AM
All I am reading in this one is excuses. You can do better than that. I have been walking the last 6 years because I put on quite abit of weight. Try to walk 3 miles every 5 days a week. I had to put on hold the last 3 weeks because my knee went out on me and slowly getting back. But will for sure. Lost 60 lbs. That is insentive for me.

I have a commercial treadmill that I need to get set up again now that my exercise room in the basement is finished. It requires a 20 amp outlet that I installed when finishing the room. I will absolutely use the treadmill as soon I get it moved into that room.

Michael Weber
07-12-2021, 10:51 AM
One day, at lunch, and for no particular reason I took a short walk during lunch around a portion of the manufacturing plant I worked at. This got extended slowly over time until I was walking around the building 5 times. It was about a mile around the building, so 5 miles. Further on weekends at home. This lasted well over a decade. The only time I didn’t was during a hard rain. Otherwise during heat, cold, snow or ice. It took approximately 70 minutes, so a fast walk. One day leaving work, the guard at the entrance door stopped me and ask how old I was. I think I was 59 at the time. He told me he was with another, younger guard at the main entrance guard shack and the fellow said while I was passing that “That Old man walks faster than I can run.” :) Eating like a horse during that time I went from 210 to 150 pounds. So one day I started my walk at work and within a short distance just “decided” I didn’t really want to do this anymore. No more idea why than I had about why I started. Strange. For years I made repeated attempts to restart. Some attempts lasting longer than others. My bad diet was clogging my arteries all those years when I was a dedicated walker and I ended up having quadruple bypass surgery. I believe walking kept my heart strong enough that I never had an actual major heat attack.

John K Jordan
07-12-2021, 12:48 PM
About ten years ago I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. Neurologist said, The more you move, the more you will be able to move & disease doesn't take a day off. I walk over 4,000 miles a year and average 25K steps per day.
I know that I will lose the war but it sure it fun to win some of the battles.

Bob, hat's off to you!! My brother-in-law was given similar advice with MS. Decades later he's still going strong, took up photography and sells his work, walks everywhere. Sometimes his legs give out and he collapses to the ground but he gets back up and keeps going!

A good attitude and sense of humor seems to help!

25k steps a day is impressive. Even on my busiest days I rarely get over 12,000.

Doug Dawson
07-12-2021, 5:04 PM
Check this site, it works.
I had a heart attack years ago and read about this, and I walk 1/2 mile daily.Neil Armstrong was asked, what was his exercise regimen. He said he only had so many more steps to give, so many more heartbeats to sacrifice, and so forth. (Yes he died, but that’s a matter of litigation.) If I have to take steps, it will have to be meaningful, as opposed to random walking.

John Terefenko
07-12-2021, 10:55 PM
Neil Armstrong was asked, what was his exercise regimen. He said he only had so many more steps to give, so many more heartbeats to sacrifice, and so forth. (Yes he died, but that’s a matter of litigation.) If I have to take steps, it will have to be meaningful, as opposed to random walking.

So you are saying that keeping your heart in good shape is not meaningful. Sorry but that does not hold water. Hope you do other things than just walk back and forth to the fridge.

Doug Dawson
07-13-2021, 5:00 AM
So you are saying that keeping your heart in good shape is not meaningful. Sorry but that does not hold water. Hope you do other things than just walk back and forth to the fridge.
My shoulders are witness to how much time I’ve spent pushing a Stanley #8, and digging gardens in the rocky Texas soil. Otherwise, I have a car, and am trying to postpone knee surgery. But thanks for asking! :^)

Brian Elfert
07-13-2021, 9:13 AM
I am finding that if I am standing for long periods or walking a lot that my feet will feel fine, but then I sit down for a bit and when I get up my feet will hurt like crazy. I can barely walk after that as my feet hurt so bad. The bad news is I am not even 50 years old yet. I have what I think are decent walking shoes.

Erik Loza
07-13-2021, 10:13 AM
...With the Silver and Fit program it was possible to get in a mile on a treadmill. Covid shut that down...

This is what happened to my mom, but she was doing water aerobics. She recently got a stationary bike and has been using that instead. Haven't seen it in person, yet, but seems like she's enjoying it. For folks who maybe don't have places or opportunities to get outside, I think my mom's bike was maybe $300, delivered. So, affordable and keeps her moving. There were always older folks who where there just to get some low-impact activity when I was teaching indoor cycling classes at my local gym. Go at your own pace, wear comfortable sweats. It doesn't have to be like soul cycle or tour de france.

Erik

lowell holmes
07-13-2021, 5:52 PM
Have any creekers started walking as a result of this thread?

If so, let us know about it.

John M Wilson
07-13-2021, 6:56 PM
Have any creekers started walking as a result of this thread?

I did! Not as a result of this particular thread, but one that you posted a few years ago.

I had recently retired and was getting fat and lazy. I read several of your posts about getting out & walking each day, and thought that it was a terrific idea. So, my New Years Resolution for January of 2019 was to walk every day. I started out slowly, but gradually built up to 5-6 miles daily. I walk about 130 miles a month, and have gone on several multi-night backpacking trips. All because of your posts! So, thanks!

(A couple of weeks ago I stupidly mis-counted the steps on my deck, tripped, and broke a bone in my left foot. Surprisingly, one of the things I really miss is my daily walk -- it's become quite a part of my daily routine!)

Keep encouraging us Lowell! It really makes a difference to have someone leading the way!

Clifford McGuire
07-13-2021, 7:04 PM
I'd rather be outside than inside anyway. I put in one earbud and start a podcast or a favorite radio program.
For me, walking is addictive. When I'm doing it, I hate to miss a day. But if I skip a couple days in a row, it's hard to get back on track.

Thomas L Carpenter
07-13-2021, 7:15 PM
The more you move the more you are able to move was my mothers mantra for many years. She didn't have MS but was saddled with severe arthritis which I am also. 1 mile every other day enables me to move a little bit more. I had to drive a few miles to get to a safe place but it was worth it. Have just moved to a suburban area and now have sidewalks to use.

Bruce King
07-14-2021, 12:53 AM
For those that have suitable roads, sidewalks and paved trails I strongly recommend getting an ebike. We both ride almost everyday. You set the level of assistance you want from 0 to blasting up small hills. Probably best to have some cycling experience before going all out on these. It’s a life changer, loads of fun, we even ride in 15 mph winds and days when the heat factor is 104. Stay above 15mph and get cooling effect on hot days. We have a special rack to haul these everywhere we go.

John K Jordan
07-14-2021, 2:47 PM
For those that have suitable roads, sidewalks and paved trails I strongly recommend getting an ebike. We both ride almost everyday. You set the level of assistance you want from 0 to blasting up small hills. Probably best to have some cycling experience before going all out on these. It’s a life changer, loads of fun, we even ride in 15 mph winds and days when the heat factor is 104. Stay above 15mph and get cooling effect on hot days. We have a special rack to haul these everywhere we go.

Second on that! The ebike will let an "old" guy bike places for some great exercise, places sometimes not so accessible to the senior set.

Bruce, what kind of special rack did you get? I usually ride on the farm - some of the property is down a hill where I might not take a non-ebike. I'd like a better way to carry it than put it in the bed of the truck.

JKJ

Bruce King
07-14-2021, 3:47 PM
We have the Hollywood dual ebike rack. Two inch receiver a must.
We remove the batteries and seats for long trips and use blue tape to seal up the frame and battery connections. If your bike has 4 inch wide tires they have holders for those too. The first bike that goes on is a little tricky so I use the rear brake to pull the bike up on its rear wheel then maneuver it in place then slowly release the brake to lower the front.

lowell holmes
07-14-2021, 3:57 PM
I started my routine as result of a heart attack, I suggest you start with a 15 minute walk and work up from there by adding 5 minutes every two weeks or what ever is comfortable for you.

I would visit a doctor and discuss this with him.

Doug Dawson
07-14-2021, 4:15 PM
I started my routine as result of a heart attack, I suggest you start with a 15 minute walk and work up from there by adding 5 minutes every two weeks or what ever is comfortable for you.

I would visit a doctor and discuss this with him.I guess it’s out of the question to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe Lie Nielsen hand plane products?

If my walker was covered under Medicare, then why not, it just isn’t fair. :^(

Peter Mich
07-14-2021, 5:02 PM
I’ve begun using my skiing and rowing machines again after reading this thread. Does that count? I enjoy watching woodworking videos while skiing and rowing.

Warren Lake
07-14-2021, 5:46 PM
my neighboiur is 90. she shovels her snow and she cuts her lawn. Her lawn is 300 feet wide by 150 deep. Since here husband died likely 20 years ago she has done it. For the main lawn she uses the ride on mower then other areas ditches she has a battery powered one as it makes her feel she is being green. she breaks it up so its not all done one day. She has had breast cancer, had a lump out and radiation for three weeks but still kept cutting the lawn and working outside pretty much right away.

The only reason she can shovel snow like a man and take care of her property is because she has done it herself since her husband died.

ive torn strips off her for cleaning her eves troughs, even more so one of those death trap wood ladders from the past. I try and do all that type of stuff for her and her son in law is excellent.

One of my friends used to always ask me how old is that lady? he could never believe she was maybe 80 from when he first started asking me how old she was when he would see her out there cutting.

Old school and tough.

My friend got an award at a car show. Lady that gave it to him was a farmer. She drove her car to the podium and walked up with no walker and like a 70 year old to give him and his wife the award. She was 104 years old at the time.

My neighbour still walks like someone in their 60's or early 70's

My cabinet teacher didnt get exercise and told me he didn't need it. True he had great genetics and was an Olympic Caliber Wrestler and boxer when he was young. He was a very strong and tough man from all he was through from young. Gentle and kind though. I told him you have good genetics but you still need exercise but just not his thing.

lowell holmes
07-16-2021, 8:24 PM
I walked this morning. I used to walk with my black lab madisan, she lived 15 years, so now I walk in memory of her.

Rob Luter
07-17-2021, 4:42 PM
There is a park near my workplace that is a converted gravel pit. A walking path around the perimeter of the pond is exactly a mile and a half. The parks department keeps it up so it’s really nice. I try to go down there every lunch hour for a lap, weather permitting. It’s a great break and good exercise.

Erik Loza
07-18-2021, 10:27 AM
I walked this morning. I used to walk with my black lab madisan, she lived 15 years, so now I walk in memory of her.

This forum needs a "like" button and a heart emoji button.

Erik

Andrew Joiner
07-18-2021, 1:48 PM
Good for you Lowell! Thanks for your threads on this:)

Exercise outdoors is often a spiritual experience for me. I went for brisk walks often when I ran my own business. When I was really stressed out a walk would help or even remove a big worry.
Since I retired I windsurf for fun but it's a real intense workout. My blood pressure drops during the windsurfing season April to October.

I walk daily in the cooler months for :

1-Pleasure
2-To keep blood pressure healthy
3-To talk with and listen to Mother Nature
4-To do errands pollution free!

Joe Mioux
07-18-2021, 3:44 PM
tues, thurs, and sat and/or sunday are cardio days. mon, wed, fri and/or sat sunday are strength days. sat and sunday are used as catch up days for the other days of the week that I may miss a workout.

This routine pre-dates Covid shutting down the gyms, me getting some strange respiratory issue in Feb 2020 and then getting Covid at Christmas of 2020;.

Cardio is either 10-20 miles on a road bike or 4 miles on a tread mill.

Covid and that respiratory infection damaged my lungs. getting back on my bike has definitely help me regain breathing capacity. Since all that has happened over the last 16 months I am slowly getting back to normal but I am not back to where I was in 2019.

I love riding my bikes (i have too many) pre-dawn. I try to get twenty miles in before 5:30am.

I also walk a lot at work, so its pretty easy for me to get in 10,000 steps.

Wade Lippman
07-22-2021, 2:49 PM
Having a two story house, and an 800' long driveway helps us to stay fit. Mow the grass with a push mower. Am always on the go around the home forty (actually five acres.)

You mow 5 acres with a push mower?! You are better than me.

Wade Lippman
07-22-2021, 2:54 PM
I walk my dog 4 miles a day and "lift weights". I put that in parenthesis because I bench 65 pounds and my PB was 230 pounds 25 years ago.

lowell holmes
07-23-2021, 10:30 AM
I used to walk my black lab Madison, but she passed away at the age of 15 years.

John K Jordan
07-23-2021, 11:24 AM
You mow 5 acres with a push mower?! You are better than me.

I wondered about that! One tough guy! Perhaps Bruce will see that and respond. But I suspect it's kind of like my place, not the whole property gets mowed! We have 27 acres and much is woods.

I mow between 3 and 12 acres, depending. However, I use my rotary push mower for just a few tight spots around the house! For the rest I have a couple of 25hp diesel powered mowers that cut 60" - even with one of those to mow the 5 acre horse pasture takes a while.

JKJ

Jack Frederick
07-24-2021, 12:34 PM
At 72 the muscle mass has been melting away and I have found that my strength now lies in flexibility and range of motion. Since Covid I have gotten into doing Yoga with “Adriene on Utube”. As with most things, slow and steady wins the race and over these last months I am really happy with the results, and perhaps best of all, so is she;)
Infrequently I ride my spin bike. I’d like to ride my road bike, but as with so many other posters with narrow roads, drivers and cell phones, it is not happening. I have been hit by cars on bicycles twice. Once when I was a kid and totally my fault and once in ‘74 when I rode from Seattle to NY. I was up by Thessalon ONT on the Trans Canadian Hwy and got hit by a guys mirror. It was an auto pulling a small trailer and had those long mirrors that mount out on the front fender. I wasn’t badly hurt, but the bike took a beating. Guy kept right on going. The people of Thessalon took me in and made me welcome.