PDA

View Full Version : Another Humidor from Valsi

Mark Valsi
01-11-2006, 12:07 PM
This is a Humidor I hope to sell to some architect. Hope we can agree on a price !

The frame of the box is mahogany, I used the Leigh mortise and tenon jig.

The Top and sides are walnut, the front pieces are maple. The drawer is lined with aromatic cedar and dark navy blue felt type fabric.

The main Humidor is Spanish Cedar as is the tray inside it. Slip feathers are cocobolo.

Hardware is Japanese style purchased in Los Angeles in little Tokyo

The usual lazyman’s finish: oil, poly wax. I used maloof on the top, it’s pretty nice.

Any comments will be welcome, ESPECIALLY THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS. I’m open for corrections and suggestions on how to make the next one better.

Chris Gregory
01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Mark that is sweet....!!

Brett Baldwin
01-11-2006, 1:40 PM
I really like the overall look. Obviously Asian inspired but just as obviously a unique design. The wood combo is also very pleasing.

I had only two things strike me in a negative way looking at the pictures. The bigger one is the length of the supports sticking out from under the tabletop. They just seem a bit long, both visually and practically. The proportion seems a bit off and I can see catching a leg on them pretty easily. The smaller one is that the bevels on the support ends and the tabletop seem drastically different. It isn't really that bad but it did catch my eye instead letting it flow. Of course these are aesthetic issues and my taste has proven to be unique in the past so be sure to take this with the usual grain of salt.

Bill Simmeth
01-11-2006, 1:42 PM
Mark, another beautiful humidor from you! Well done!!

Roger Myers
01-11-2006, 2:05 PM
Mark - I really like the overall design of the piece...
A couple of observations from my part... For my taste I think you have too many different woods involved - When I think of an asian inspired piece, I think of more simplicity... I love the maple doors, but find the opening (where the pull is) a bit distracting. The hinges also seem a bit overpowering for the piece and again IMHO distract from the rest of the piece.
The humidor is still a winner, but those were the things that struck me the most as opportunities.
Kep up the great work and keep posting! I love to see these!!
Roger

Marcus Ward
01-11-2006, 2:57 PM
As a cigar smoker, that thing is sexy as heck! I'd love to keep my cigars in something that nice. My only gripe would be to get rid of the aromatic cedar in the drawer. I know it's not in the actual humidor itself but I shudder to think of that taste getting into the cigars. Blech! It'd be like smoking a hamster cage. I think the wood combos are nice, it looks like a little shinto shrine to cigars. Mmmmm... cigars...mmmmmm...wood. I'm having a homer moment.

Jarrod Nelson
01-11-2006, 6:00 PM
Mark - I really like the overall design of the piece...
A couple of observations from my part... For my taste I think you have too many different woods involved - When I think of an asian inspired piece, I think of more simplicity... I love the maple doors, but find the opening (where the pull is) a bit distracting. The hinges also seem a bit overpowering for the piece and again IMHO distract from the rest of the piece.
The humidor is still a winner, but those were the things that struck me the most as opportunities.
Kep up the great work and keep posting! I love to see these!!
Roger

When I read your post (before looking at the pics), I was thinking the same thing about the numbers of woods used. After looking at the pictures I changed my mind. I really like it.

I agree with the hinges. Not crazy about them, but that may just be personal preference. I'd like to see hidden hinges.

Overall, very stunning.

Frank Chaffee
01-11-2006, 6:05 PM
Mark,
I am with Roger Meyers in feeling that there are too many woods competing in one piece. Also having two different types of pulls on the front is distracting to me.

The form and construction is very strong and admirable, however.

Frank