PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Formica on a Planer/jointer Stand

James Kirkpatrick
07-07-2021, 1:10 AM
Added black microdot Formica to this planer/jointer stand. Used a flush trim bit all around, but the edges are a bit “sharp”. Worried about future chip-outs. Purchased a Freud 41-501 1/16” radius laminate trim bit, which I tried on some scrap. Works pretty well, but pretty touchy about getting the depth just right. Wondering what others use to finish laminate edges over plywood like this?

Mel Fulks
07-07-2021, 2:03 AM
Around here it’s always a sharp file. Not really difficult,but most won’t allow a green new guy to do it.

John TenEyck
07-07-2021, 1:25 PM
Formica is usually first trimmed flush with a flush cut bit. Then the edge is beveled with another bit specifically made for that task. There still is a sharp top edge which needs to be softened. That's where the file comes in for those who have some training; otherwise, 220 grit sandpaper works well, too.

John

James Kirkpatrick
07-08-2021, 1:33 AM
Thanks guys. I did use a flush trim bit as noted, an old Craftsman 1/4” dual-flute with bearing. Worked well but Formica has that cardboardy underside that likes to fray and stick out. PITA to clean up. For the beveling I finally went with the Freud 41-502 bit (sorry for typo in original post). Worked great once I got the depth just right on some scrap formica-on-plywood samples. The bit still left that sharp top edge and plenty of frayed underside. So I researched and found a great fine knife file (McMaster Carr) that cleaned up that sharp top edge and took care of all the little frayed pieces. Again, a little practice on scrap gave me the confidence I needed. So after all that, still left with the basic question - what beveling bit(s) do you guys use? I would rate the Freud an 8 out of 10. Pretty good but gums up quickly and is finicky to get the depth just right.

andy bessette
07-08-2021, 11:03 AM
After using a flush trim bit I just knock the sharp corner down using 80-grit self-stick sandpaper discs on a block of plywood scrap.

Cary Falk
07-08-2021, 4:44 PM
No beveling bit for me. I just use a flush trim bit. I use a file to knock off the sharp edges. WD40 on the bit will help the glue from gumming up the bit. Use lacquer thinner/ acetone/mineral spirits to clean up the glue mess from the Formica.

James Kirkpatrick
07-11-2021, 4:44 PM
Thanks Guys! Great feedback, very helpful.

Mike Kees
07-12-2021, 7:30 PM
There are special files made for laminate. I have used normal files as well (Single cut) ,sharp new files work best.

Tom Bender
07-14-2021, 6:45 PM
Sounds like a perfect job for a ROS