PDA

View Full Version : My first trip to the wood (candy) store

scott kinninger
01-11-2006, 11:44 AM
I made my first stop at a local cabinet shop that recently opened a retail showroom that primarily sells just wood. I'm used to seeing "normal" wood like oak, walnut, & cherry so this was my first time, to actually see in person, a selection of some exotic woods. I was in TOTAL amazement at the beauty of them all... bubinga, bloodwood, zebrawood, teak, jatoba, purpleheart, paduak, lacewood, sapele... It's just awesome the variety that mother nature produces. I think I could have looked around and felt the wood for hours. Do you guys get that feeling when you go shopping for wood? Now I just need some more ideas/plans so I have an excuse to go there again to look around and buy some more wood.

Rod Torgeson
01-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Scott....Yes I get that feeling almost every time I go into Portland, Oregon which is not that often. There is a place there called Crosscut Hardwoods. I stop there even if I don't need any lumber but usually end up buying some anyway. They have all kinds of domestic woods and a lot of exotics. I was in there last Thursday and got some Jatoba, Cumaru, Sassafras and Goncalo Alves. All nice stuff. They also have almost all kinds of plywood and some veneers. Another place I go to when in Portland is Gilmers, they carry a lot of exotic blanks for turning.
http://www.gilmerwood.com/Gilmerwood%20Info.htm
Another place I like to go to is Macbeath Hardwoods in Berkley, California.
http://www.macbeath.com/
I usually go there when I go down to that area to visit my daughter. Hope you get some ideas/plans soon so you can go back.
Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Brett Baldwin
01-11-2006, 1:44 PM
Definitely. Woodworker's Source is my local store and they have just about everything. I've spent many hours in there just checking out the wood.

Michael Ballent
01-11-2006, 1:50 PM
Definitely. Woodworker's Source is my local store and they have just about everything. I've spent many hours in there just checking out the wood.

I too have spent many hours and dollars there :D Really nice stuff that they have there.