PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gift box

Lee DeRaud
01-11-2006, 11:18 AM
GF's sister got married yesterday down in Jamaica...this will hold their wedding/vacation photos when they get back.

Walnut outside, maple top with bloodwood inlay:
Inside is curly maple sides, quilted maple bottom. Their house is all Art Deco/Art Nouveau: the lady on the inside lid is actually a painting Shirley did on their living room wall:

Ed Lang
01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Very nice!

Did you use Photograv for the inside?
Did you use the laser for the inlay on the top?

Just full of questions today:)

It does look great!

Jeff Sudmeier
01-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Now that is just plain neat! Great job on it, I am sure she will love it.

Lee DeRaud
01-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Did you use Photograv for the inside?
Did you use the laser for the inlay on the top?No (Photograv) and yes (laser inlay). So far I've had very good results from "raw" bitmaps using the halftone function built into the ULS driver.

That inside engraving is on 1/32" birch plywood from the hobby store...I think it's intended for model airplane wing/fuselage covering. What you see is pretty much direct from the laser: no color fill, just a coat of sealer. Got a feeling I'm going to use a lot of this stuff...it's almost too easy.

Mark Valsi
01-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Nice,

more info on that laser engraver please

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 1:29 PM
Lee, that is one beautiful box! As much as the laser work enhances the appearance, the remaining woodworking looks beautiful, with great attention to detail and finish. Wonderful gift!:) :cool:

Lee DeRaud
01-11-2006, 3:21 PM
more info on that laser engraver please25W-watt ULS Versalaser, pretty much as "entry-level" as these things get. I've had it since March...do a search on my name using "threads started by", should tell you more than you really want to know.:p

Frank Chaffee
01-11-2006, 6:23 PM
Well Lee,
The box is masterfully done, as we have come to expect; with surprises like the forefinger opening of the lid.

The halftone laser transfer to the interior of the lid however, adds a dimension to woodworking that is very exciting!

Keep it up, guy,
Frank

Corey Hallagan
01-11-2006, 7:19 PM
Very nice Lee, beautiful work!

Corey

john whittaker
01-11-2006, 7:27 PM
Excellent gift...Thanks for posting. Great to see such meaningful work coming from your laser. The woodworking is very good as well. Great quilting.

John W

Ed Lang
01-11-2006, 8:40 PM
Lee,
You might have just talked me out of Photograv! I was told the Universal Laser Systems print driver was a real close second to Photograv but I didn't believe it.

That box looks great. I'll PM you to not hijack the thread.

Vaughn McMillan
01-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Lee, as nice as the outside of the box is, the inside really turns up the volume. Great material selection, and (as always) great execution.

- Vaughn