PDA

View Full Version : cub cadet 42" TPO now engaging properly

Warren Lake
07-04-2021, 2:18 PM
cut the lawn and all fine then when I started to do more it was not snapping in and coming up to speed. I pull the TPO switch out and it makes a bit of noise and covers off can look down and see the blades slowly start to turn but they start slow and pick up and thats not right just just be a snap and things are working.

I looked on the fish net and they said stuff can work then stop from heat. So id think that is gap in the clutch expanding and the gap changes. Does anyone know the spec for the spacing for the three gaps in the clutch? Had looked in the past for an online manual and didnt find one.

The clutch is snapping when I pull the switch so even no motor running switch on and pull the TPO do hear the clic of the clutch. whether its fully engaging or not im not sure. You tubes show how to measure the resistance in the TPO switch and one has said you can burn the switch out if there are clutch issues. Its likely never been adjusted so makes sense to me to check the gaps at least.

Confused that the thing does spin and slowly come up to speed. Other thought the belt tensioner was a bit seized up so might be as simple as it is and not snapping out fully so not pulling the belt tight.

Need to bypass the seat safety switch so I can run it without having to sit on it and be able to look at the same time. Be nice to have a defeat button on that feature for the odd time you want to be off the machine and check stuff

thanks

Bruce Volden
07-04-2021, 2:37 PM
I had this happen to my Husqvarna-same symptoms.
If you can "hear" the PTO snap in with motor not running it (PTO) should be OK.
My problem was the belt that drives the blades-looked fine- but, was worn down to a larger diameter from wife cutting tall weeds while it was wet outside.
Put on a new belt--all is back to normal.
MIGHT be worth looking into??

Bruce

Warren Lake
07-04-2021, 4:26 PM
thanks, I dont have a wife so do you still think it might be the belt? Actually im glad she did that and I would have as well so I get to learn from someone else and too often its me pushing something. Have to push sometimes to get stuff done with a way that makes sense.

I dropped the deck and if I had a better circlip system it would be faster. When I pushed on the belt i couild push it side to side by 3" and that seems huge. That is motor off of course and im kind of guess the tensioner is not snapping back to put enough tension on the belt. I should change the belt as you said logic not too expensive and no history with it so do it and its one thing done.

Have to removed the front thing that holds the clutch from rotating then the deck can be removed.

Bruce Volden
07-04-2021, 8:59 PM
Mine also would spin and finally would come up to speed.
Under load (cutting) it would not maintain speed needed for cutting grass.
I would try a new belt, you have nothing to lose.
Side note---one time my wife said the garden tiller "Won't start" could I help her figger it out. Sure!
Went to it and she had come to close to the fence and broke the entire carburetor OFF.
She asked me once 30 years ago why I didn't like to mow--I told her I'll mow if you maintain--end of story.

Bruce

Warren Lake
07-04-2021, 9:55 PM
good story thanks. Im the one here who breals stuff and I do, Five years personal pace toro its toast. I still use it but ive broken lots.

the cub cadet, what kind of a name is that?

it snaps into blade spinning loud and instantly. It was the tension pulley. I was partially seized and the travel was about a quarter of what it should be. I didnt understand how you take it apart with the coil so did my best clean up and WD and then oil blown in with compressed air then grease gun till it jammed up, it was pushing back out the grease gun fitting over an inch up so that told me that the clearance in the part that turns on a bolt is likely pretty rusted in there, the grease would not come out the bottom.

I ended up using a rubber mallet hand pushing it till it locked up then mallet to knock it further so I just kept going into the jamming area and back and forth. Likely 50 times. Odd thing it worked fine in the last quarter of its travel spring and all but somehow it got back into the sticking area and guess i would not return. Travel is great now. Also it had say 3" total belt movement now its 2" if that but close.

All good, thanks for your help, your description of what was going on is exactly what this one did only it was a different cause but same results. Will still order a new belt to have ahead of time.

Sounds like your wife is a trouper to do all the work she does. Red Green would be proud.