PDA

View Full Version : Well, what did you expect, for $3?

steven c newman
07-03-2021, 11:05 PM
Not much on the Yard Sale Trail today.....2 pairs of "Cheap Sunglasses" ...

Well there was this Roll around tool box....$3
I figured if nothing else...I could fill it with some of my lesser used tools...instead of stashing them in 2 cardboard boxes...got this thing home...opened the top..
Anyone need a spanner wrench, or three? This and these were in the top..
Yes, that is a real corncob for a handle....I guess he wanted a better grip?
Top drawer had a few throw-aways...no biggie...
Middle drawer?
That can/bottle opener was stamped with..
And finally the bottom drawer..
Might be some "keepers"? Maybe?

That nail set is from Blue Grass. That is a triangle file, might work for the backsaws I have...

But, what did you expect, for just $3? :D

Paul F Franklin
07-04-2021, 8:34 AM
You did well. Tool box alone was worth at least $4 :)

steven c newman
07-05-2021, 7:50 PM
Rehab project for July?
2 cold chisels and a 1" wide Craftsman wood chisel.....Not sure about that punch, just yet. One of the Cold chisels is marked as a Defiance....

Will work my way through the stuff...and toss out what is just plain junk...

Somebody did NOT have a clue as to how to sharpen a wood chisel......the cold chisels aren't much better.

Paul F Franklin
07-05-2021, 8:34 PM
I have a couple of those craftsman chisels with those handles; mine actually sharpen up pretty well and hold a good edge, so worth a little restoration.

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2021, 3:09 PM
For $3, you did very well.....Good results.....Enjoy the new toys (tools)

steven c newman
07-09-2021, 9:24 PM
In keeping with the $3 rut that I'm in...2 more such $3 purchases came home with me....along with a couple for fifty cents ..each

First...was actually the last Sale I was at, today.
No..after I picked it up off the ground, I knew it wasn't just an empty Dremel case...got it home to look at the contents...
Seems a Dremel Model 6000 Contour Sander....just needs new sanding sleeves....everything else is there...

The first sale we actually stopped at....was in the basement of a country church.....steps were as old as the church....and seemed to have been made by a Drunkard.....not the safest steps around. Anyway, was carrying one item down the steps, and when I was done ( and a dollar poorer) I was carrying two items...
This "old"hammer was in the basement....the other Fifty cent item?
Was a rather large pair of Lopping Shears.....they needed a drop of 3in1 oil, and a quick hone...and they were ready to go back to work. About that hammer....notice a ridge along the cheeks of the head....bad casting...or, a bad die at the drop forge?

Second stop ( besides Wal E World) had a box, for $3..
While the bottom was indeed empty...the tray sure wasn't...
All sorts of goodies! Speeder Bar was worth at least the $3 alone....

Those rusty plates are from a Tablesaw...one for a single saw blade, the other for a dado set....might be a Craftsman model? Speeder bar is a Crescent.
A carpenter's Scribe....where a wing nut can lock the setting in place.....Logo says "General"....know more once I clean it up....

Out of photo space..may post more in a part2?

steven c newman
07-09-2021, 9:33 PM
More views of that box...
3 versions of scratch awl? not sure about the split ring, yet...

Ratcheting handle, lots of drivers....?
All kinds of sockets...just one ratchet?

Not sure, but, I think that gray plate MIGHT be for a router table?
Will see what that square headed bolt fits.....yet another socket.

Plus a lot of bags full of screws, tips, brackets, and springs. A plastic putty knife..and bag of small finish nails...
Might be a few "keepers" in there?

Jerry Olexa
07-09-2021, 9:50 PM
Another good haul, Steve.....Well done

Joe Tilson
07-10-2021, 3:34 PM
It's funny that there is always a 1" chisel in every toolbox you find for sale. Just saying.
Good haul. Believe it or not the hammer is probably a Stanley. I have one like it.

Mike Hutchison
07-11-2021, 8:17 AM
I am from Southeastern Ohio (born Springfield)
My Mother's Dad kind of got me started with working with tools along with my Dad.
Anyhow, your post showing corn cob handles rings a bell in that Grandpa did the same
thing with a couple of files which I'm pretty sure I still have in a tool box of his under
the bench. Just sayin'

steven c newman
07-13-2021, 3:04 PM
Carpenter's Scribe..
All cleaned up, can even read the GENERAL logo...backside?
Even gave it a new pencil...

Chisel...
Cleaned the handle up, and can just make out the CRAFTSMAN logo...

Seems to have been designed for the rougher jobs around a house, instead of "Fine Wood Working tasks...edge?
Slight camber....good for rough jobs....back is flat as I can get it...or..want to get it..

Be a good 1" wide chisel, to loan out to the neighbors, when they want to do house repairs ( nails? Screws? paint?) Might be a $0.05 chisel?

Will see what else I might keep, or just toss out....that speed bar stays...;)

steven c newman
07-14-2021, 10:28 AM
Got to looking around...seems I have seen that Ratchetool...before...
Open..
Hmmm, open..
Seems I now have quite a few handles, to choose from....Orange handle has it's own selection of tips..
Need to dig through those bits out in the $3 toolbox....
And see IF any will fit the handle....if not....I may have a handle elsewhere for them...

steven c newman
07-15-2021, 5:35 PM
None would fit...so....I can either toss them out, or send them to someone who does have handles that would work....I do not.
Nutdrivers, all SAE sizes....have already tossed the 3 worst ones in to the trash can....Bent, and too rusty..
Screwdrivers...again, the 3 worst are already tossed...

So...IF anyone thinks they can make use of these bits....I'll send your way, on my dime...PM an address.

steven c newman
07-18-2021, 8:19 AM
Since I do not really need any of those bits, and nobody wants these...they will get tossed out

Along that $3 line of thought...that is what I spent, yesterday...
$2 Eggbeater drill (Stanley) fifty cents for a good air nozzle ( to replace the POS I have) and a Keyhole/Compass saw to make the $3 limit. Saw is missing one of it's 2 bolts....neither of which ever came all the way through?:confused:

Turned down a cordless drill.....no charger. Bags of pliers , bags of screwdrivers, bags of Nutdrivers.....meh...have too many as it is....:rolleyes:

steven c newman
07-18-2021, 7:02 PM
Tips will be going to their new home..may need a few "Extras" to pad out the box...we'll see

Stanley Eggbeater drill: Needed a good oiling up...runs nice and quiet now.....drill bit either needs a new tip ground on it...or, just replaced.
Air Nozzle: will replace the worn out one I have been using for the last 10 years...think it is about time?

Saw....will need a bit of work.....mystery about that missing bolt, and..no holes on the right side? haven't found any names on the saw....yet.

Stay tuned ( another item from the past weekend...$2 electric Waffle Maker....made a couple Blue Berry Waffles, for Breakfast this morning)

steven c newman
07-22-2021, 2:28 PM
4 bags of tips should have arrived this afternoon at their new home...I hope.

Ron Selzer
07-23-2021, 1:29 AM
got them
thank you
will pass on to a nephew who is in the process of buying his first house. has been in a trailer too long ( 3 adults, 3 kids, 2 dogs)
he is wanting to get started on wood working
I have some machines ready for him now that I have out grown
Ron