PDA

View Full Version : PC 12V Losing Power

Scott Coffelt
07-16-2003, 4:02 PM
I have a PC 12V drill that seems to be losing power. The batteries are charging fine according to the charger and the flashlight I have. The drill itself seems very lethargic. It doesn't matter whether it is on low or high speed. Any ideas on what to check first? Though I prefer the Dewalt over the PC, I am hoping it can be a quick and low cost surgery to get the patient back up to full health.

I love having two cordless drills. I am hoping it isn't time to put it out to pasture yet.

Bob Lasley
07-16-2003, 5:12 PM
Scott,

I would at least open it up and take an air hose to it. Might be nothing more than dirt and sawdust. While you've got it open see if you can see anything obvious like worn brushes, loose connection, etc.

Good luck,
Bob

Carl Eyman
07-17-2003, 12:38 PM
I would not totally write off batteries as the problem. I know the PC charger lights are suppose to warn you of trouble- and do. However, I would check the battery voltage of a freshly charged battery that has been used maybe 5 minutes and then check it again after you have used it for 15 or 20 minutes. If there is a considerable drop in voltage, you may have found your problem. What is a considerable drop? I knew you were going to ask that and I'm not sure. Two volts would be enough to raise my eybrows, I think. I am going to try the test with my drill and see what I find. Incidentally, a friend of mine has a PC 12v that was giving him trouble and he discovered 3 dead cells. We replaced them and he is back in business for about $12. Radio Shack had the sub-c batteries needed.

Brad Schafer
07-17-2003, 1:32 PM
had the same symptoms with a Makita drill a few years back. 'twas batteries. one would charge and provide power for a long time (but very little "strength"), other would sprint & die (within a few mins of use).

bought 2 new batteries, problem went away, BUT ... it's starting to happen again.

b