PDA

View Full Version : Progress on shop

Steve Jenkins
01-11-2006, 9:44 AM
Ok here are a couple pics of the new shop.

The first is taken from behind the house. The shop is 40x70' and oriented North/South. North is to the right. There is a 12'tallx10'wide roll-up door on each end as well as a standard door and 2 windows on the south end and side.

The second pic is looking from the north end into the shop. It was being sprayed with insulation when I took the pic. That is done now and I need to paint the interior white since the yellow color of the insulation will play havoc with looking at stain colors.

We have sold our house and are moving into the "new" place. It is far from finished but will be work in progress for some time.

Mark Singer
01-11-2006, 9:46 AM
Steve,
What a great building!!! Lots of space! I love the roof structure

Carl Eyman
01-11-2006, 9:48 AM
I'm jealous! Very happy for you , Steve. Show us what it looks like with tools in it

Jim Hager
01-11-2006, 9:49 AM
Looks great to me from here. I wish I could have found someone local to spray my shop with styrofoam insulation. I used vinyl backed fiberglass rolls. I like the steel trusses too. Sometimes I wish I had used poultry house trusses on mine to give me some extra head room in mine.

You will enjoy that new building for sure. I don't know where you have been working but it is a big advantage to have a nice sized building to work out of.

tod evans
01-11-2006, 9:52 AM
you`re rockin! nice spray rig too. when do you plan on moving equipment in? congratulations on the new digs...tod

Travis Porter
01-11-2006, 9:56 AM
It is HUGE. Very nice and very impressive.

Jim Young
01-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Sir, with all respect, that's no shop, it's a hanger. :)

Frank Pellow
01-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Surely that's not a shop building -it's a bigger than the community hall we had in my hometown.

Michael Gabbay
01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Steve - That's pretty small for Texas standards! You need to add a 0 to each of your dimensions. :D

I'm so jealous. My shop is barely 13' x 24' in the basement with no direct access.

Mike

Mark Rios
01-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Surely that's not a shop building -it's a bigger than the community hall we had in my hometown.

Heck, that's bigger than some hometowns. (drool, drool, jealous, drool).

Very nice, Steve.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Wow! What a space!!! :) How are you keeping it cool?

Bob Stroman
01-11-2006, 10:48 AM
It must be tough losing 30% of your shop space. Are you going have room for that Altendorf F-45?:rolleyes:

Are you looking forward to not paying rent and not having to put up with the neighboring businesses?

Bob

Tommy Curtiss
01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Steve, the offer still stands,,if you need any electrical help drop me a line,,,Very nice shop,,,Tommy

Steve Jenkins
01-11-2006, 11:10 AM
It will certainly be interesting getting all my STUFF into the seemingly huge space. The space I will be losing is office and storage.
I do have a big AC unit I will be moving but not sure how much I will run it. I don't run it much here due to cost. The north south orientation will allow for a breeze most of the time.
Right now my concern is how to heat it. I haven't really decided yet. In my current place I have a Modine gas fired warehouse heater and am thinking of doing the same only propane.
Tommy, thanks again for the offer. I intend to take you up on it as soon as I get things going in that direction. My panel should be mounted next week then we will see what the electric company has to say. I have a rotary phase convertor that will need to be hooked up.
I've scheduled with a machinery moving company to move all the big stuff on the 20th then I need to get everything else out between then and the end of the month. What fun

Jim O'Dell
01-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Steve, great looking place!! I'll be waiting to see pictures of it filled with your equipment. Might have to mosey over one of these days when youget it all decked out. Jim.

Jim Dunn
01-11-2006, 12:43 PM
That's not a shop that's a gymnasium. When does the highschool band come by to practice:)

Brett Baldwin
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Wow...I couldn't afford to have that much room in my shop. I'd lose too many tools in all that space.;)

I wonder if that is some of our foam on your walls. I actually make that kind of foam and the coating that goes on it and we do have a Dallas distributor. I hope you've been told it already but you should get that coating on the foam as soon as possible. UV really eats it up quickly, even indoors though not nearly as fast of course.

Allen Bookout
01-11-2006, 1:10 PM
Steve, Any hint as to what part of Dallas that you live in. We visit family there and from time to time. Sometimes we think about moving back but talk ourselves out of it. We were just saying that it would be hard to find a residential place where that I could have a shop. I sure do not need one that large though. A three car size would be plenty. I will have to say that sure does not look like Dallas.

My son has a business just across 35 from your business address.

Allen

John Miliunas
01-11-2006, 1:18 PM
Wow! Bet that thing has its own Zip Code!!! :eek: Maybe install one of those "moving sidewalks" like they have at the airports to get from one end to the other??? :D Man, I'm jealous! BUT, more power to you. Be sure to keep those progress pics coming!!!:) :cool:

lou sansone
01-11-2006, 1:22 PM
real nice space .

what are the stats? insulated ? air conditioned / heat ? electric and water ? compressed air? DC ? humidity control ?

I would be real interested on your thoughts about humidity control

best wishes
lou

Steve Clardy
01-11-2006, 3:23 PM
Looks great!! Big shops are nice, I know. But they have a tendency to fill up also.

Have you considered an outside wood burner? I'm sure you have scraps. Supplemented with firewood.

Jim Becker
01-11-2006, 9:53 PM
Looks wonderful, Steve. I can't wait to see it! (I just need to get my customer in your area to invite me down to do a little more entertaining with the local folks....I was with them in NYC today)

Vaughn McMillan
01-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Great building, Steve. I'll look forward to seeing how the "filling up" process goes.

- Vaughn

Jarrod Nelson
01-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Too big. I don't like it. Much better in my cramped basement. :o

John Lucas
01-12-2006, 1:57 AM
Great space and two times the size of Norm's.

Dick Parr
01-12-2006, 3:42 AM
It's looking great Steve, keep us updated. And have fun with the move.:D

Tom Drake
01-12-2006, 6:33 AM
Great looking building. Be sure to post more pictures when you get the tools set up.

Tyler Howell
01-12-2006, 9:06 AM
It was worth the wait. Looking forward to updates.:cool:

Martin Lutz
01-12-2006, 9:54 AM
Wow Steve, looking good. Your just trying ot make it harder for me to find when I come to Texas.:)

Allen Bookout
01-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Too big. I don't like it. Much better in my cramped basement. :o

I like that response. I can relate to it. Allen

Bruce Page
01-12-2006, 10:44 AM
40'X70'!! :eek:
That's going to be an awesome shop! I'm looking forward to the moved-in pics!

Steve Jenkins
01-17-2006, 8:48 AM
just got back to access to my computer. I am moving the first load of machinery on this Fri. 20th. Then somehow i have to have everything out of my current space by the end of the month.
If anyone is in the area and wants to stop by on Sunday the 22nd I wil be getting rid of a bunch of smaller scraps of both solid stock and ply of various kinds. The solid stock is mostly in the 12-24" long range and in the rough.

Jim Becker
01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Steve, I'm really glad that you finally will be "making the move", despite it being a pain in the butt to pick it all up and schlep it out to the new place. In the long run, this is going to be great, however. If I lived in your area, I'd surely help out, too... ;)