PDA

View Full Version : How to compare two planers (I have 2 mostly the same and want to sell one) 735x

Jen Joy
07-01-2021, 7:43 PM
I know this is a bit weird, but due to buying a set of equipment I have two Dewalt 735x with shelix heads.

I'm not an expert by any means about planers.

I know I can send wood through and compare, but I don't know much about the history of either one. One is a 2007 and one is a 2014. I'd like some tips on how to pick which one to keep and which one to sell. I haven't checked if they both have the same shelix head or not, so I need to do that. Is age much of a factor or is wear and tear more of an issue? I would suspect the latter, but I don't want to assume. Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

David Utterback
07-01-2021, 9:33 PM
I would agree that wear and rear could be a greater factor than age for the structural components. Age might affect belts, etc more. If no obvious signs of abuse or other damage, the only challenge I can think of is to run some boards through each and measure thickness across the widths. You might raise the heads and look at the rollers and beds for defects. Hope this helps.

Jim Becker
07-02-2021, 9:26 AM
Wear and tear for sure. It's kinda like the choice between a high-mileage vehicle that was all for long distance highway cruising vs the same make/model, but much newer, that was used as a taxi in a big city with the same mileage. The former is always the. better choice

Dave VanDewerker
07-02-2021, 12:45 PM
Look at the impellers from each machine. If one is worn more than the other it would indicate more use.

Stewart Lang
07-05-2021, 10:43 AM
I know this is a bit weird, but due to buying a set of equipment I have two Dewalt 735x with shelix heads.

I'm not an expert by any means about planers.

I know I can send wood through and compare, but I don't know much about the history of either one. One is a 2007 and one is a 2014. I'd like some tips on how to pick which one to keep and which one to sell. I haven't checked if they both have the same shelix head or not, so I need to do that. Is age much of a factor or is wear and tear more of an issue? I would suspect the latter, but I don't want to assume. Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

Since they both have Shelix heads, check to see if either one has had the knives rotated. They last a long time, so if one is still on the 1st side while the other is on the 3rd side, the one rotated more will obviously have much more use on it.

I'd also check for surface rust. More of a cosmetic thing, but I always appreciate a clean machine with no rust :)

Jen Joy
07-06-2021, 4:31 PM
Thanks all -- I appreciate the help.

Tom Bender
07-14-2021, 6:32 PM
Do a little maintenance on both before you test run them.

Blow out the dust

Scrub the rubber rollers with crocus cloth to get good grip (careful to not cut your hands)

Wax the bed

Put sharp cutters in play

Put a few drops of oil on each guide bar and crank it up and down all the way 3 times.