PDA

View Full Version : May have another "scraps" Project to work on..

steven c newman
06-30-2021, 10:33 AM
Mainly for a July Project. Have several 3/8" thick by 5" by 5" squares....and a pair of 3/8" x 6" x 12" slabs....and a stack of 3/4" by 1 x 3s.....may try a small frame and panel chest?:confused:

Stay tuned..:D.( The Boss "needs" to go to Kroger's this morning..:mad:.)

steven c newman
06-30-2021, 7:08 PM
Lumber supplies...a bit skimpy...will see what kind of box I can build..
One to make 2 sides with, 1 to panel a lid with..
2 to make end panels from...
Sticks and slips....to make the frames from....Frame & Panel Box Project....starts in tomorrow...

Stay tuned :D

steven c newman
07-01-2021, 10:13 AM
Honey Do List this morning, go to Grocery Store ( out of Jimmie Dean Breakfast Bowls).....and then AFTER Lunch....I can meander down to the shop...and prep a few parts, size wise...

Film @ 2300 hrs...

Lunch is done...waiting on it to settle on through. Maybe a 1300 hr start time?

steven c newman
07-01-2021, 4:48 PM
Panels have been cut to size...
2 sides + 2 ends.....and a pile of "sticks" to build the frames with..

Gulley-Washer came through last night...
Dungeon Creek was on the rise...hate working on a wet floor.....:mad:

Maybe tomorrow, eh?

steven c newman
07-02-2021, 6:02 PM
A little drier today...had Laundry Detail, too.....and showing a roofing contractor around, so he can work up an estimate on a new roof. Also a trip to the Bloodthinner Clinic to get a finger poked....and even made a bit of sawdust....goal being to work out all the "Bugs" and get one of the long sides dry fitted up....

Panels were NOT flat....but too fat along one edge...
Used the Stanley No. 358 Mitre Box to trim frame parts AND panels for length. And even made the shoulder cuts for 4 tenons.....cheek cuts were done on the bandsaw... and fitted with a SHARP chisel.

Added the Zero Clearance Overlay to the tablesaw. Frame parts are too small to jig up so the Stanley 45 can safely mill some grooves.
First set of passes to set the width of the groove. Frame parts are 3/4" by 3/4" square...and they WILL fall down into the saw, without the overlay in place. Blade is set about a 1/4" above the overlay..
These are the second set of side frame parts....a reset of the fence to saw the center 2 strips out....time for the dry fit..

The stiles on each end....are 1" longer than the side is wide...more like a "foot"...I removed the sides of the groove below the bottom rail....with a small curve. Will need to match THAT when the end frames are made. May need a double cut. Plan right now is to glue this first side up, and try to get the other side to match it....and glue it up.....THEN I can work on the 2 ends. Fun will be when I start on the lid...:rolleyes:

Not all the parts were 3/4" square....or completely straight....we have ways....called a Millers Falls No. 15.

steven c newman
07-03-2021, 10:52 PM
Took the side apart, cleaned up a few spots that were too tight. Then the real fun could begin (Like herding cats) to get it all back together, with the grain running the correct direction....and glue and clamp it all together...without cussing too much..:rolleyes:
Between trips to the Laundry and upstairs....and then back down to the shop to unload and load a dryer...worked on side #2
Beveled the edges of the panel for a better fit....cleaned the bottom of the grooves, too..
Had to lower that cutter WAY down. Then trimmed the two end panels to size..
Then had to flatten the panels...
A bit of a "Busy Bench"....might get something done, tomorrow, eh?

Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
07-04-2021, 9:43 PM
Side #1 is out of the clamps, side #2 is about ready to be glued up...
Needed to mill 4 tenons, clean a couple grooves, one rail was out of square..
Before any glue or clamps could go on...
Used the vise as a 3rd hand, get one end clamped up...gently move this onto the bench..
Then set this mess aside ( while I transfer clothes from the washer to the dryer) and start on milling parts for the 2 ends

steven c newman
07-05-2021, 8:00 AM
Road trip this morning...maybe this afternoon or evening before I can get TO the shop....then there is that..MONDAY thing....anyway...

Trimmed the second end panel for length....figured it was also too fat, so..
Millers Falls No. 15 at the diagonals to thin it down a bit....left it a bit rough around the edges, so..
Millers Falls No. 9 to smooth things out.

End panel stiles: Not enough material to do a proper T&G connection...
That with a tongue added, most of that curved foot would be gone....not enough room to mill the matching groove, either. Have to also match the front/back stiles' curves too..
Leaves a square profile...

Stiles and rials for the 2 ends were run through the tablesaw on 2 sides...to make them all 3/4" square......Then reset the saw a couple times...now all the parts have a groove for the panels to sit in.

Waiting on side #2 to cure out. Then see about tenons ( 8! ) to connect the 2 ends up into a pair of glue-ups...more herding of cats.

Legs are achy, and crampy....might have done a wee bit too much over the past few days.....Uncle Charles ( Horse) even tried to do his "Wake Up!" thing this morning....up too early, this morning...may need a nap

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-05-2021, 8:50 AM
Parts for the 2 ends.
End #1 is a hair ahead of the game...
Need to lay out those tenons, and get the other stile cut to shape..

End #2...showing off the grooves.
Panels have been sized. Just awaiting the frames to be done.

Smooth plane was a bit busy, yesterday?
Once the ends are assembled and off my bench...I can start on a lid for this box...?
Should have enough parts for it.

Will see how this Monday thing turns out, today....
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
07-05-2021, 8:00 PM
Normally, shop is closed on a Monday.....got bored...decided to clean up side #2...and match it to Side #1....or at least try..
This might take a bit..
Almost got it...just a hair more to go...then, leave one clamp in place, and rotate the pair..
One side is a tad too high? We have ways..
Removed the c clamp, and get this ready to plane....tomorrow. :D

Resting up at bit....seemed to have gotten a Groin Pull during the weekend...:eek:..may have been too busy..:confused:..hurts about the same area as that Watchman made it's entrance at.....

steven c newman
07-06-2021, 6:10 PM
Boring anyone?.....thinking after Supper has settle in....I'll try the shop have a pair of ends to get done. 8 tenons to cut & fit. Then try a glue-up, maybe two?

Leg is still quite sore.....it is also in the area where they went in to install the Watchman in my heart....will call the Doctor tomorrow about that...

Slept in, past noon, even.....RHIP. Retired has it's Privilege....:D

Stay tuned, Film @ 2300 hrs, I hope...:D

steven c newman
07-06-2021, 8:33 PM
Well...managed 1 hour of shoptime....got a little bit done.....
Trying to mill tenons..
So they will fit the grooves...dry fit 1..
Almost..a little fat on the left side...same with the rest of the tenons, today. Finally got to a dry fit. after cutting the foot profiles...
Decided to glue this mess up...
And work on the 2nd end assembly....like cutting the profile for it's feet...
Have to make sure they are in the right directions. Then tenon work, until a second dry fit...
Will let this sit, until tomorrow....and then glue it up....

That was just enough fun, for today....

Stay tuned...:D

Andrew Pitonyak
07-07-2021, 11:02 AM
Boring anyone?

"Yes", the lie came easily off his lips, even if he knew nobody would believe him! :D

Slept in, past noon, even.....RHIP. Retired has it's Privilege....:D

I rarely get to sleep in....

Did you say what you are storing in this box?

Love the details! I always like your build threads because of it.

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2021, 11:10 AM
Another interesting project, Steve....Thnx for posting...

steven c newman
07-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Details...sometimes things don't look quite right to my eyes..
Like when a leg is too fat/bulky....I used a T & G Joint...both to help with a glue up, and, skinny the leg down a bit..
Mill a tongue on the end assemblies....can't go very deep, though...
Don't want to cut into the other T&G joint....stay back a little bit..
Doesn't look quite so fat, does it?

Other end is NOW in the clamps...was like wrangling a LARGE herd of cats...

Chasing parts all over the place....finally got them into the same place.

Cutting parts for the lid's frame..
Need 2 rails..
And, 2 stiles...
Had to clean up one Tongue..
As it was a bit too thick (fat?) in the middle....Stanley No. 71-1/2 to level it down...

Waiting on the second end glue up to cure...and then mill a tongue on it...THEN see about a glue up of the box?

Stay tuned....anyone want to stop by and help out?

steven c newman
07-08-2021, 9:25 AM
Errands to run this morning....maybe AFTER lunch before I can get to the shop.

steven c newman
07-08-2021, 5:31 PM
This will be a two-parter...had 3 tasks to get done today....Remove the clamps from the last glue up, and clean it up. Needed to Mill a tongue on each edge..in order to glue the entire box together....3rd task? was to prep the lid's panel...that was way too long, and a bit too narrow....then glue add-on strips to make the panel close to the right width. First up?
Clamps removed from #2End....glue joints needed to be planed and sanded level and smooth...best to do it now, when it is easy to get to...
Top edge was in need of being leveled...also had a slight bevel to it...

Reset the rip fence on the tablesaw,
Going to take 4 passes, 2 at this setting, the other two after the fence is moved 1 blade width away...to mill 2 tongues..
And, now it can fit into a groove..needed a chisel to fine tune both..
And do a full dry fit...
Just 2 clamps, no glue..

Laid a plywood panel on the tablesaw, wanted a flat surface to work off of..grabbed the bottle of glue, and a brush to spread it around a bit...and a few more clamps....started with the box sitting on it's top, to make sure it is all flush,,,,plus, I can add small c clamps to the 2 halves of each foot...one took an extra clamp to line it up. Then, carefully set this mess over, onto it's own 4 feet...and finish up with more clamps..
The most important being that diagonal 18" clamp....to pull things into square...and I checked with a square, too.
Will let this sit a day, or two.....

Stay tune for Part 2 of today's one hour in the shop..:D

steven c newman
07-08-2021, 5:51 PM
The other task for today? was to prep this panel to be used in the box's lid....
Those 2 strips are about the correct length. I intend to also glue them to the edges of the main panel, to get about the correct width...first, I need to trim the panel down for length, plus a hair to allow to square the panel up, later...The red circle is a defect I don't want. To make the cut, since the tablesaw is busy...I went old school..
Plenty of room in the Mitre Box. full length saw strokes, doesn't take very long.. Should I try to dig out the old Shooting jig? Nah..no need for that...
When parts come off the saw like this.

One edge was a bit on the rough side, and needed a few passes with the Jointer..
At least this is one job that plane can do.

To get the 2 strips to almost stay put while I glued and clamped them....a "Rub Joint" was used....smear a bead onto one edge, and slide the other edge into it until it is in the right location....and it usually will stick right there...
The 3 c clamps are hold a caul in place, to keep that end flat....the vise is doing the same job down below.

Will let this sit a day, or two.....then see about a bottom for the box, clean the outside of the box up...and then build a frame to house the panel, to make it into a lid..

steven c newman
07-09-2021, 6:27 PM
Took the day off from the shop, today...hope nobody minds. Unless you count taking this to the shop, oil things up, and a quick hone...
Spent Fifty cents on this thing..
And, I wanted to try it out....

Ever see a hammer like this?
Spent half a dollar on it....doubt IF this was drop-forged....

The Dremel case it is sitting on?
A Dremel Model 6000 kit. for $3, counting the case.

haven't even removed any clamps , today....every now and then..one needs to step back from the shop.....maybe tomorrow, eh? :rolleyes:

steven c newman
07-10-2021, 5:34 PM
Ok.."vacation is over..." Back to the shop. This might be a 3 parter...as I put in a 2 hour shift, today.

removed the clamps...slowly, listening in for any creaks, groans, or cracks....
Slowly. Then turned the box over, to see how it sits..
Not too bad, all 4 feet are sitting on the plywood "floor"...move this aside for a little bit, needed to mill a few blanks for slips..
Yes, that IS the pushstick....safer than using me fingers, too. Bring the box back to the tablesaw/assembly table...set the Stanley #358 over to 45 degrees..
Miter one end, measure for length, and miter the other end...test fit..
Rinse and repeat, glue and clamps as I went...
These slips are for the box's bottom panel (1/4" Plywood) to sit on...intend to glue that down, later....

Yes, ALL clamps came off....however..
THIS will need a bit of work...:eek:

Stay tuned...for Part 2..:D

steven c newman
07-10-2021, 5:46 PM
Ok....set the panel down on the bench...with the "better" side up....to keep it from just sliding across the top of the bench...2 screws are buried just ahead of the panel...heads are at the 1/2 way point...a 3rd screw is driven at an angle to the other end...to push the panel into the first 2 screws....THEN I can get to work..
You can see the "tightener screw"? Took a while, checked for flat with a straight edge....I think I got 99% of the high spots...with ZERO teraout. Flip the panel over, checked the grain direction, and locked the panel back down....this time around, the beltsander helped out....until it was time for a plane..
Even then, made quite the pile of shavings..
Yeah...."Clean up! Aisle #1!"
that's better. Check the panel for size..
Besides needing to trim an end for square....I needed..
To remove about this much from the other end. Swung the Mitre Box back to 90 degrees, and made those 2 cuts...why?
No access to the tablesaw. Which meant grooves need a different way to get done...
Stay tuned for Part 3 :D

steven c newman
07-10-2021, 5:57 PM
Ok...set up the Stanley #45....with a 1/4" wide cutter...Set the fence so the cutter sits in the center of a stile....Stile needs to sit out on the edge of the bench, and NOT move..
Once again, 3 screws. Front one is the "Stop". There is one behind the side (middle arrow) to keep the stile along the edge of the bench.. and the third?
Pushes the part into the Stop. Depth is at 3/16" deep, screws are set below that..

test fit the panel into a groove....was too thick....decided to bevel one face..and try again...
Fits a bit better. So, what I will wind up doing, is cutting a bevel all the way around, on just one face..
And call the face the inside/underside of the lid?

The plane used for the bevels...That be the Millers Falls No. 15 Jumbo Jack....

Back is hurting right between the shoulder blades, right now...methinks it is quitting time.

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
07-11-2021, 11:28 AM
Maybe after Lunch today...I can meander down to the shop....we'll see...

Stay tuned

steven c newman
07-11-2021, 2:33 PM
Going over the photos now....Lid is in the clamps....box now has a bottom...Back is quite sore, right between the shoulder blades.....must have been all those way too thin shavings....
Because, this is a lot of shavings, just to go 5/16" deep..
And..this was the first of 2 such rails....reset the cutter for the second groove...

Film at 2300 Hrs....Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
07-11-2021, 8:26 PM
Clamps removed....plywood for the bottom of the box was cut to size.
On the bandsaw, no less.....was able to follow a straight line...even splitting the lines...very little, if any, clean up...with a block plane....and....
It fit on the first try! Bead of glue ran all around on the slips, panel mooshed down into the glue....clamps and "cauls"

Sat this aside....worked on the frame for the lid....to the point a dry fit could be done..
Then the panel was sized to fit the frame....checked for length..
Saw blade too long...trim and rebevel...

Checked for width..
had to plane a bit off the edges...and redo the bevels....was finally able to glue this lid up...
Then added the cauls to flatten the corners...

Intend to let these two sit a day or 2....that "Monday" thing...then we'll see what happens...

steven c newman
07-12-2021, 8:49 PM
had Laundry Detail, today....means I was also down by the shop.....decided to at least remove the clamps, and see how close the lid fits the box....hmmmm, needs a bit of trimming...how to hold it while I plane the sides...?
Well, I guess that's one way....tried a different way on the front..
had a spot or two to clean up...then the back..
Lid was a hair bigger than the box was....leave this sit a day,,,,Tuesday the shop opens back up....and decide what moldings to do...Maybe install the hinges, and a latch? Decide on any handles..?

Stay tuned ( waiting on the Dryer, at the moment):D

Richard Verwoest
07-13-2021, 1:26 PM
This reminds me of the carved chests Peter Follensbe(?) builds. Maybe you should add a little chip carving detail?

Richard

steven c newman
07-15-2021, 12:50 AM
Afraid I don't do any carving...

Had to clear the top of the bench, today...
Was getting a bit ...crowded....One router to do some round-overs...the other (DeWalt 610) had an edge trimming bit..
Because the front and back's bottom rails were too thick, and sat lower than the ends did..

Then things could get rounded...Was time to put away some of the toys...
Set the Project on the bench,,,and the boxes of Spares...needed to find a latch..
One of these 2 styles....Thinking more about the one on the right..
Found a pair of Brass hinges...and then a few screws..
And a length of chain I can use to control how far back the lid leans...

Still searching for handles...
I don't think those 2 wooden knobs will quite work.

Surface mount the hinges, or..mortise them in? Think I need to round-over the lid, first. Router bits and hinges do not play nice, together..

Ultra-sound on the right leg, today.....kind of sore, right now. May try tomorrow, and see what happens....

steven c newman
07-15-2021, 5:28 PM
OK...got the rest of the rounding overs done..ends..
And the front and back of the lid..
Lay out for the hinges...and the fighting....laid out on the lid, first..
Along with the toys....used a 2-tap system to set the depth....2 taps on the end of the chisel with the mallet...Mortises done.

Then worked on the ones for the box...had a hinge take offense that it was getting installed...and went and hid on the floor....:mad: Even had to sweep the floor to find the little..critter.
As in hold still! Sheesh..fun part was getting the lid attached to the box...

Not the easiest, "fun" things to do....then, clamp this thing shut..
At least long enough to add the latch....box is all sanded down( as I went along) to 220 grit.....Thinking I might try...
Some Amber Shellac for a change....even found a Church Key to open the can..:cool:
Let this thing sit a while, may go back to the shop after Supper, fine sand it...add Coat #2...

steven c newman
07-16-2021, 5:33 PM
2nd coat is brushed on...need to do a bit of "Design Work"..
To make a rack of some sort to hold these 4 'shaves.....and keep them in place.....

Not enough room in here, to include the Stanley No. 80.....guess it can just hang on a nail in the large Tool Chest...

Stew Denton
07-16-2021, 11:05 PM
Steven,

Have been busy, so have not kept up with the build, so read it just now. Very nice project, and I liked the look of the rounded over edges and also the shellac finish.

At any rate I enjoyed the build and the final result looks great. I was wondering what the end use of the box would be as I read along, and the spoke shaves go well in the box.

Thanks for posting the project. It was a fun read.

Stew

steven c newman
07-17-2021, 11:10 PM
Well...needed some sort of "rack" hold them still. Didn't want to use Ash to hold Iron tools, so, some Pine scrap was used....Cut into 2 pieces...one needed a trim off the top..
Notched the corners, to better fit inside the case....laid out 4 slots....bandsaw to make a few cuts...
Decided to transfer the marks to the other holder....after the first had been done...with a chisel..
Then mark the slots, saw the slots, chop the slots...a bit of hand sanding to clean things up...time for a dry fit?
And let the spokeshaves determine where the two holders will go.....pencil lines to make the marks....set the 'shaves aside..glue the holders into place...brush on a coat of shellac...
Re-install the spokeshaves in their new home..
Close the lid, and brush on coat #3 of shellac to the outside....and allow to dry...

Stay tuned...am going to try a top coat of Clear Gloss Poly, later..

steven c newman
07-18-2021, 12:51 PM
1st coat of Clear Gloss Poly has been applied....waiting on that to dry...

steven c newman
07-19-2021, 10:14 AM
Waiting on coat #2 of clear gloss to dry, and get a rub down...PIP?
Oh, BTW....added a chain to the lid...
Need to hit a couple spots I missed?

Stay tuned..almost done...may even heat up the Branding Iron?
Or, would that be a touch too much?:D

steven c newman
07-19-2021, 10:16 PM
even did a 3rd coat of clear gloss poly...then decided to add a "brand" to the box...
yes, I do have a branding iron...BANDIT'S Dungeon WOOD SHOP...
Think I can call this little box ...done...

Am not out of lumber in the shop...may have to go on a Lumber Run later this week?:confused:

Until then...put things away, sharpen where needed...and take a vacation from the shop....maybe:rolleyes:

Thanks for looking in!:D

Thomas Wilson
07-23-2021, 7:49 PM
Whenever I see one of your “scraps” project, I am tempted to load up the truck with lumber and dump it on your front lawn. I certainly don’t want you to run out.

steven c newman
07-24-2021, 4:16 AM
Well.....I am indeed out of Lumber supplies, right now....