PDA

View Full Version : PM1500 Bandsaw arrived on double pallets

Charles Coolidge
06-26-2021, 4:44 PM
Arrived stacked on double pallets arrgh! Wouldn't fit under garage door. Too tall for the tractor. Too tall for the shop crane and it's baking in the 99 degree heat. So I went full MacGyver on it. They are not kidding about the weight these 15 inchers are HEAVY! Next up getting it onto the mobile base.

Charles Coolidge
06-26-2021, 6:24 PM
Is it a rule or something that the factory must gouge the paint to bare metal before it's shipped? Found a nice scar face on the right column after I removed the plastic. (face palm)

Bruce Mack
06-27-2021, 9:51 AM
That is a sweet bandsaw! Have fun with it. I'd order touch up paint and take extra antacids.

John K Jordan
06-27-2021, 10:54 AM
Nice saw and nice rigging solution!

I think that saw weighs about the same as my 18" Rikon. When moving it from the garage down the hill to the shop I was able lift it with a chain and forks on the tractor. (The forks are handy for a zillion other things too - when I have equipment delivered I usually meet the truck down on the main highway - saves trouble for both of us!)

If your ceiling will support a small manual chain hoist it might help with the mobile base and other tasks in the future.

JKJ

Rush Paul
06-27-2021, 10:55 AM
Nice saw! We received our PM1500 last week and I have it on my list to set up shortly. I look forward to your comments on how you like it and what you've done to set it up, particularly as regards dust collection.

Charles Coolidge
06-27-2021, 12:54 PM
Removed the shipping pallet this morning with the shop crane. Didn't think the crane would go high enough but had lift height to spare. About to assemble the ShopFox mobile base next.

Charles Coolidge
06-27-2021, 12:57 PM
Nice saw! We received our PM1500 last week and I have it on my list to set up shortly. I look forward to your comments on how you like it and what you've done to set it up, particularly as regards dust collection.

I have a ShopFox 3hp cyclone at the ready, nearly 2,000 cfm. That's my home made chip barrel in black. The factory barrel was a complete joke. MacGyvered a new barrel from a used barrel seller on craigslist.

glenn bradley
06-27-2021, 1:46 PM
Is it a rule or something that the factory must gouge the paint to bare metal before it's shipped? Found a nice scar face on the right column after I removed the plastic. (face palm)

They need to send you some paint :). Granted it is not the first or last scratch a tool in a woodworking shop may see but, I would want 'something' from an outfit that has low enough self respect to pack and ship a damaged product. If we don't hold sellers accountable pretty soon 'sub-par' becomes par. I know it's no big deal; it's just a mission of mine to keep retailers focused on their customers ;)

Ron Selzer
06-27-2021, 7:21 PM
Removed the shipping pallet this morning with the shop crane. Didn't think the crane would go high enough but had lift height to spare. About to assemble the ShopFox mobile base next.

which mobile base did you use?
part number please
Ron

Charles Coolidge
06-27-2021, 9:19 PM
which mobile base did you use?
part number please
Ron

ShopFox D2057A the one with the cast metal hub wheels as show in this pic. The local store had 2 other models in stock, a heavier duty with all metal wheels no urethane tire and a smaller one that was too small for the PM1500.

I see some ads for the D2057A with pics of the old black rubber wheels which apparently didn't hold up. Actual minimum inside measurement is 19.5 inches but there's a weld on each side you don't want the machine to sit on so clearing those 20 inches minimum which Grizzly spec's is accurate.

The PM1500 base is 17.75 inches x 25.25 inches. The 20 inch minimum width on the mobile base would leave 1 inch plus gap on both sides which is more than I want. So I cut 1.5 inches off the front and rear mobile base steel tubes for a minimum 18.5 inch width which will be perfect, 3/8 inch on both sides to clear the welding.

By the way the PM1500 base holes are about .470 inch in diameter and centered 5/8 inch in from the edges of the base. I'm going with 3" 3/8 bolts and nylon locking nuts that will provide some wiggle room.

Ron Selzer
06-27-2021, 10:06 PM
ShopFox D2057A the one with the cast metal hub wheels as show in this pic. The local store had 2 other models in stock, a heavier duty with all metal wheels no urethane tire and a smaller one that was too small for the PM1500.

I see some ads for the D2057A with pics of the old black rubber wheels which apparently didn't hold up. Actual minimum inside measurement is 19.5 inches but there's a weld on each side you don't want the machine to sit on so clearing those 20 inches minimum which Grizzly spec's is accurate.

The PM1500 base is 17.75 inches x 25.25 inches. The 20 inch minimum width on the mobile base would leave 1 inch plus gap on both sides which is more than I want. So I cut 1.5 inches off the front and rear mobile base steel tubes for a minimum 18.5 inch width which will be perfect, 3/8 inch on both sides to clear the welding.

By the way the PM1500 base holes are about .470 inch in diameter and centered 5/8 inch in from the edges of the base. I'm going with 3" 3/8 bolts and nylon locking nuts that will provide some wiggle room.

Thanks
looking to put a mobile base on a Rockwell 28-350 which should be same basic size

Jim Becker
06-28-2021, 9:03 AM
Well, you got the job done. The double pallet was for stability during transport...the bigger footprint of the full size one on the bottom insures it stays upright more readily and helps keep other stuff more distant. But yes, it makes for more fun when unpacking! Enjoy your new bandsaw!

Charles Coolidge
06-28-2021, 10:22 AM
Well, you got the job done. The double pallet was for stability during transport...the bigger footprint of the full size one on the bottom insures it stays upright more readily and helps keep other stuff more distant. But yes, it makes for more fun when unpacking! Enjoy your new bandsaw!

Sorry no that was far less stable. The 2nd pallet was only because their delivery truck pallet jack didn't fit the smaller pallet the saw is bolted to so they added the 2nd pallet for delivery. Thought about walking it off that pallet at first the driver and I gave it a go but the bottom pallet was too unstable. I will say the saw had a death grip on its shipping pallet with 4 inch lag screws PM did a good job there.

Jim Becker
06-28-2021, 1:07 PM
Sorry no that was far less stable. The 2nd pallet was only because their delivery truck pallet jack didn't fit the smaller pallet the saw is bolted to so they added the 2nd pallet for delivery. Thought about walking it off that pallet at first the driver and I gave it a go but the bottom pallet was too unstable. I will say the saw had a death grip on its shipping pallet with 4 inch lag screws PM did a good job there.

interesting....I was under the mistaken impression that it shipped from the vendor that way. My bad.