PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washer recommendations for home use

Jacob Mac
06-26-2021, 9:35 AM
I'm looking into getting a pressure washer for around the house. Deck, patio, fences, driveway, windows that kind of thing. Anyone have any recommendations?

Jim Becker
06-26-2021, 9:57 AM
I originally had an electric unit, but last year, picked up a small gas powered one from Costco. (Husqvarna) It starts on one pull and works very well. For home use it's nice, because it has a variety of different nozzles, although I primarily use the broadest pattern to reduce the chance of damaging something. You can cut wood with these things with the narrowest, high pressure stream!

Clark Hussey
06-26-2021, 9:58 AM
Here are my thoughts. (I was a pressure washer contractor for several years) A pressure washer is a great tool. That can do a lot of damage real quick. Always wear shoes preferably work boots when using. For a home owner a basic 3500 psi is more than adequate. If you are on a well the less gpm is better choice. After purchasing your pressure washer. Immediately throw out the red tip. I haven seen too many people do a lot of damage with it. I always throw them out. Learn to clean with solutions rather than pressure. The big box stores carry a variety of them. Or research how to make your own. Enjoy your pressure washer. There is not like a cool mist blowing in your face on a warm summer day.

Keith Outten
06-26-2021, 10:52 AM
My first pressure washer was engine driven, the one I own now is electric. Mobility is not a problem for me so I really prefer the electric model.

Mike Henderson
06-26-2021, 11:51 AM
I owned a couple of electric pressure washers. Al died. They also weren't as powerful as a gasoline model.

I finally gave up on the electrics and bought a DeWalt gasoline unit. I've had that for about five years and it still works fine.

If you're willing to spend the money and have access to 240 volts where you're going to use it, I've seen some very good, powerful electric power washers that require 240 volts. You just can't get sufficient power from a 120 volt, 15 amp outlet to have a powerful pressure washer.

Mike

Thomas Wilson
06-26-2021, 12:31 PM
My biggest pressure washing job every year is to clean the mildew off the upper deck of the boat dock. Today is finally the day to get it done. The first step will be to replace the sprinkler pump that supplies 40 psi to the pressure washer. That has been the holdup. The old one has lasted 15 years of sun and rain. Job well done. I got another just like it. The deck is aluminum with some sort of permanent baked-on finish. After the pollen has all landed and begun to mildew, the deck is green rather than almond. I have both gas and electric pressure washers. The electric one is light and easy to get up the narrow stairs. However, it takes two days to pressure wash everything. The gas pressure washer is big and heavy and takes about half that. It will just be me lugging it. It is a decision I will have to take in consultation with my back. I do not use any cleaners because of the fish, snakes, and turtles that inhabit the shadows underneath the dock. I hate the pressure washing job but love the clean deck. See ya’ll tomorrow.

Tom M King
06-26-2021, 12:51 PM
I have two pressure washers that I use on houses, including three museum houses we look after. One is a 13hp gas unit that is 2500 psi at 4.4 gpm. It requires two strong men to take turns running it, when we use extension poles. That is the most pressure I would use on wood. It has different sizes of tips, that spray different width fans, and the wider the fan, the less severe the local pressure. The wide open nozzle, used for sucking in detergent, and bleach, is not much more pressure than a strong water hose.

The other one is 120v, 1.5 gpm, at 1200 psi, if I'm remembering that right. It came with an adjustable nozzle, that I didn't like, so I changed the wand to one that takes different tips.

Tips are not only available in fan widths, but also for different water flow rates. If you get ones for more, or less flow than you machine, you can get fans in between the ones made for your machine.

I'm not brand loyal on many things, but pressure washers are on that list. The manufacturer is Mi-T-M. I don't buy anything else. That big one wore out one engine, that came on it, and is on the second engine. One week, it ran all day, every day, blasting off whitewash from an early 19th Century stone basement interior. It's done a Lot of work.

The little one is good for washing cars, including with a foam cannon.

Don't use a pressure washer on windows, or doors. The Windex hose end sprayers are great for window exteriors.

Mike Null
06-26-2021, 1:00 PM
I bought a SunJoe electric a couple of years ago for cleaning the deck and siding. It has been super and I highly recommend it. It has enough power to cut wood so you have to pay attention to which nozzle you're using.

Anuj Prateek
06-26-2021, 1:06 PM
I'm looking into getting a pressure washer for around the house. Deck, patio, fences, driveway, windows that kind of thing. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have Ryobi gas pressure washer. I think it uses a Honda motor. Gets used couple of times a year. Have been using it for 5-6 years now. Beyond oil no maintenance. I use it to wash car, patio, outdoor furniture, walls, etc.

On the negative side, it's pretty loud. Came with 4 nozzles. I never use the highest pressure one. Tried it once and it took chunks of concrete away.

If I have to buy again, I would buy a electric one with max 25-2600psi but higher gallon per minute.

Lee Schierer
06-26-2021, 1:42 PM

Rent one. They are pretty unreliable unless you buy a really expensive one. I rent one from a local place for about $25 per day when I need one. When I'm done I can take it back and not have to store it for the rest of the year.

Bill Dufour
06-26-2021, 2:58 PM
I have a small Landa electric that is pretty good. Problem is I can not find a rebuild kit and the crankcase gets water in it. So it will not last too much longer. Any electric with a real seperate TEFC ac motor is enough for most . The little as/dc ones are a joke.
Bill D

Stan Calow
06-26-2021, 3:15 PM
I had a Karcher electric for several years, until I got rid of the wood deck. It was a pain to store in the garage with the cord and hoses for annual use, so renting makes sense to me.

Jerome Stanek
06-26-2021, 6:50 PM
I have a Simpson pressure washer that I used for my business now it's 31 years old and still going strong bought it from Glidden paint store

Todd Mason-Darnell
06-26-2021, 6:54 PM
I just did the same dance this spring trying to decide on which pressure washer to buy. After searching the entire internet, watching about 32 hours of youtube videos and talking to every person I know and trust who owns a pressure washer, I settled on the Ryobi gas with the Honda motor from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-3000-PSI-2-3-GPM-Honda-Gas-Pressure-Washer-RY803001/303316335

It had consistently good reviews and I have become a convert to Honda small engines.

So far, I am very happy with it.

David Lageman
06-26-2021, 7:13 PM
Rent one. They are pretty unreliable unless you buy a really expensive one. I rent one from a local place for about $25 per day when I need one. When I'm done I can take it back and not have to store it for the rest of the year.

+1...I just rent one when needed...no storage and it always starts. I have the same philosophy with boats...lol.

Frank Pratt
06-26-2021, 7:23 PM
Well, I just did some controls repair work on a "pressure washer" that is 22,000 PSI & is powered by a 600 HP diesel engine. It's used for concrete demolition without damaging the rebar & conduit. Very impressive machine.

I bet it would clean the deck in a hurry!

Jacob Mac
06-26-2021, 9:00 PM
Thanks gents, I think renting for now will let me get the immediate problem fixed and I will go from there.

Bruce Wrenn
06-26-2021, 9:00 PM
I own several pressure washers. I prefer ones with horizontal shaft motors as they are generally better made. I own a couple of Troy-Bilt, in name only. Both are Briggs and Stratton products. Amazing thing is name plate says B&S, but both have Honda engines . Also own a Sears, which is the same as one of the Troy-Bilts. Recently replaced the pump on an Excell 2500. What a difference between new pump and original pump, night and day difference. For my needs, if wanting a pressure washer, I would buy a used unit with bad pump, and install a new pump. Seldom do pressure washer engines wear out. I said seldom, as I got of a North Star with a Honda engine with a bad cam. New cam, and it works like new. 2200-2500 PSI is more than adequate for most needs.

Kev Williams
06-27-2021, 3:32 AM
I own 3-- one is a 1500 PSI electric I got at Home Depot several years ago. Pressure is similar to most car-wash pressure these day, good for washing most anything, safe for most stickers, would probably clean the gray off wood fencing, but don't know for sure...
Second is a Generac 2700 PSI gas, had it for several years, works great, it's my go-to machine for washing cars & other basic jobs. Be careful with sticker-graphics on cars though...

Third is my beast, a Simpson 4400 PSI with a 420cc BS, don't know the HP but this machine gets horrible reviews because nobody can seem to start it ;) --granted, if you don't have ALL the air out of the water lines it WILL damnear tear your arm off, but as long as I get clear water with no bubbles, it starts one pull most times. When you pull the trigger the initial kick is somewhere between firing a .22 and a 9mm pistol, and you must hold on tight I got this thing to strip rust and old paint off the bottom of our houseboat, and it works great for that, good paint stays put, compromised paint and any flaky rust comes right off. Works great with those wet sandblasting attachments too, AS LONG AS you're spraying down-hill so no water gets into the sand tube. 4.5 gallons per minute, lots of water...

Rich Engelhardt
06-27-2021, 6:38 AM
I believe the one we are using right now is the lowest end Karcher we could find for the leat amount of money. Probably $79.
It's replacement is sitting in the garage in an unopened box. We picked it up at Menards last year for $79 w/an 11% rebate.

They are both about 1500 to 1750 psi.

They work fine for something that needs more than a garden hose, but, less than a gasoline model.

For heavy duty - we either contract it out or rent a gas unit.

In all honesty - the older I get - the more attractive it's become for me to use my "universal tool" (my wallet) to do the job.

Ole Anderson
06-27-2021, 7:57 AM
Just replaced my 20 YO 5.5 hp Honda powered 2200 psi Excell. Couldn't get the pump to stop leaking oil, and even after replacing gaskets and the unloading valve, best it would do is 1000 psi (yes I bought a gauge to troubleshoot). Went with the Mi-T-M 3000 psi, 2.4 gpm with the Honda 190 GC engine. Bought it from my local hardware that has a service department.

Tom M King
06-27-2021, 8:38 AM
The motors do wear out on them. My Mi-T-M gas powered one came with an 11hp B&S Industrial motor on it. It was new in the '90's. It got harder, and harder to start, until it finally wouldn't. I checked the compression, and it was 29 pounds. They're under full load all the time.

Someone gave me another brand one that had a 13hp Honda on it. They didn't winterize it, and the pump burst. That motor had been sitting for years, but I swapped them, figuring I'd just put another carb on it. Put some fresh non-ethanol in it, and it started on first pull, and has every time since.

To make one easier to start, I turn the water on, and hold the trigger handle until water flows. While the water is flowing, I pull the cord. Even though that one is only 2500 psi, it's Very difficult to pull with the trigger off.

I've never been in that pump, but have changed the oil in it several times over those years. It's a belt drive pump. The Mi-T-M belt drive pumps are heavier duty than the direct drive ones.

edited to add: We never let it run without water flowing through it (never runs without trigger being pulled). The motor is shut down to change tips.

Doug Garson
06-27-2021, 8:46 PM
Well, I just did some controls repair work on a "pressure washer" that is 22,000 PSI & is powered by a 600 HP diesel engine. It's used for concrete demolition without damaging the rebar & conduit. Very impressive machine.

I bet it would clean the deck in a hurry!
Anybody see where the deck went? It was there yesterday. :confused: