PDA

View Full Version : Dremel model 395 parts problem

Ron Pratt
06-24-2021, 5:46 PM
I know this may be a real stretch, but I want to ask anyway. I have a model 395 Dremel variable speed tool. The switch went bad so I ordered a replacement plus new brushes. The switch is actually different but fits but appeared to be the only one available anywhere for a model 395. My old switch housing had some sort of wheel-like closures that held the 2 brushes in place and the exterior holes are square. In watching several videos on how to repair a 395 (and there are several) all the tools have round holes and it appears caps which screw on some post which I assume is metal into which the brushes are placed. I know I can drill out or make the square holes round, but I have no clue what the post (male) connection even looks like and I can't find any replacement part available anywhere, much less a diagram with these two mysterious parts.

Any help, picture, ideas would be appreciated!

Ron Pratt
06-25-2021, 7:03 PM
Problem solved!!! I figured the tool was a goner due to unavailable parts and I had just wasted $39 in replacement parts! So today I took it back apart and on closer examination I saw that the brush holes in that switch actually were surrounded in fine threads cast into the plastic! So I took an EXACT-O knife and a rat tail file and changed the square holes into larger round ones in the Dremel outer case. That way the brush caps that I fortunately had bought not even knowing if I needed them could clear the tool housing on both sides in order to screw onto the switch hidden inside to secure the new brushes!

HAPPY dude here and my 35 year old Dremel runs like a brand new tool and probably will outlast me! Since I don't really use it much...but it was the principal of the thing! I just didn't want to buy a new one, but VERY glad to get my old one back!

Tom M King
06-25-2021, 7:13 PM
That one will probably outlast a half dozen of the new ones. I always make sure I keep the receipt for any I buy, and the box, because chances are high that it will go back shortly. I don't get much life out of them. When one goes fzzzzt, I have an old single speed black one, from the 1960's that belonged to an Uncle who died in 1982, that finishes the job.