PDA

View Full Version : Canceled my Sirius XM subscriptions today

Lee Schierer
06-24-2021, 2:33 PM
I've bee a Sirius XM subscriber since 2012. We listen to made 3-4 channels out of their entire package. At the end of my subscription periods, they jump the price up considerably (200 plus percent or more) and then you call and spend an hour on the phone and they finally give you a rate that is tolerable. For each of my two vehicles for the past two years we have paid $102 per year per vehicle for their "select" package, a total of just over $400. The renewal price quoted for the coming one year contract was $892.24. Who are they kidding? I called and after 2 long phone calls they offered me the select package again for a total of $123.96 per vehicle, but only for a year. I refused unless they would do it for two years. They would not budge on the one year term, so I cancelled.

What kind of a business plan gives a customer a 72% discount if you complain about the initial price of service year after year? I refused to play their game any longer and canceled. I can buy a lot of CD's to play in my vehicles for $125 per year.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-24-2021, 2:38 PM
I stopped about 5 years ago on my Pilot. The wife, however, just renewed her subscription on her new CRV.

Frankly, without the advantage of the mechanical inefficiencies of the three bones in the middle ear to dampen road noise, with my cyborg hearing (CI) it's difficult at best to listen to music driving down the highway for me. I do listen to music using headphones at home or with speakers if I am home alone. Road noise makes it much more difficult for this deaf guy to listen to music or talk radio, however.

Matthew Curtis
06-24-2021, 4:21 PM
What kind of a business plan gives a customer a 72% discount if you complain about the initial price of service year after year? I refused to play their game any longer and canceled. I can buy a lot of CD's to play in my vehicles for $125 per year.

Same with dish network.

Bruce Volden
06-24-2021, 4:37 PM
Same with dish network.

I started Dish back when it was 19$. I live rural and couldn't get "free" tv here.
They upped my price several times over the years and backed down when I wanted to cancel.
They wouldn't back down this time so I insisted they cancel--"Wait one minute sir"

They lowered to 15$ local channels only!! I fooled them as I still get ALL the QVC, religious, jewelry, auction....channels.

But seriously my income has never doubled in less than 10 years but my TV subscription has. Go figger??
Bruce

Myk Rian
06-24-2021, 5:59 PM
No different from Comcast.

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2021, 7:33 PM
My Honda came with six months of Sirius free, and pretty much every time I have it in for service, I get another card offering me six months for free...dunno if that would be true if I'd ever used it, but there ya go.

(Full disclosure: I have no idea if the radio/CD even works in that car, never used it. It plays MP3s off a USB drive in the console, which can hold a couple hundred hours of music I actually like.)

Sam Force
06-24-2021, 8:37 PM
I about had a coronary attack the 1 time I had to cancel Sirius XM, spent an hour on the phone and told the person that if she put me on hold 1 more time I was gonna explode. I get offers all the time for cheap rates, will never pay again. Now with Android Auto I can listen to Pandora all day and even enjoy the music.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-24-2021, 8:41 PM
We paid for Sirius XM marine for an offshore trip so we could easily have weather info. Didn’t work. They charged extra for the offshore version versus near shore, but it still did not work offshore. Their advertisement quotes a guy who said he uses it 60 miles offshore. Doesn’t work even six miles out.

Lee Schierer
06-24-2021, 9:30 PM
We paid for Sirius XM marine for an offshore trip so we could easily have weather info. Didn’t work. They charged extra for the offshore version versus near shore, but it still did not work offshore. Their advertisement quotes a guy who said he uses it 60 miles offshore. Doesn’t work even six miles out.

You should look at their coverage map (https://www.siriusxm.com/marine/coverage-map), it doesn't even come close to your islands.....

John Terefenko
06-24-2021, 10:06 PM
I do this same thing every year. It is not a big deal. Nowhere near an hour on the phone. I tell them right off or else I will cancel and they agree. Just have to remember to do it because they will charge their full rate if you do not call. They then have to adjust. Yes it is a pain but so are those nagging scam calls which now are invading the cell phone as well as house phone. Life is too short.

Alex Zeller
06-24-2021, 10:09 PM
The last car I bought had it free for a period of time but I never used it. So they didn't have my credit card or any other way to bill me. But they were relentless in their phone calls trying to sign me up. Often they would call 3 or 4 times a day. When it comes time for the next new car I'm going to tell the dealer that they do not have permission to give any information to Sirius/XM.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-25-2021, 1:36 AM
You should look at their coverage map (https://www.siriusxm.com/marine/coverage-map), it doesn't even come close to your islands.....

This was for a trip out of Miami.

Lee Schierer
06-25-2021, 8:55 AM
I do this same thing every year. It is not a big deal. Nowhere near an hour on the phone. I tell them right off or else I will cancel and they agree. Just have to remember to do it because they will charge their full rate if you do not call. They then have to adjust. Yes it is a pain but so are those nagging scam calls which now are invading the cell phone as well as house phone. Life is too short.

I never give them my credit card number. I always got a paper bill sent to me.

Jim Becker
06-25-2021, 9:08 AM
I've never subscribed nor ever will. And at this point, streaming is far superior in sound quality. Sat audio is so highly compressed I find it unlistenable, honestly.

Rob Luter
06-25-2021, 9:57 AM
I'm getting close. All in I pay about $200 per car per year for the service that includes video and streaming to my computers and mobile devices. We use it a great deal, especially when traveling. That said, we've both decided that we'll cancel versus paying another penny.

Erik Loza
06-25-2021, 10:47 AM
Got one word for you: "Podcast"

Honestly cannot remember the last time I actually wanted to listen to a radio channel.

Erik

Jebediah Eckert
06-25-2021, 12:04 PM
Weird. I cancelled mine yesterday afternoon after many many years of satellite radio. Same experience, deep discounts to stay etc etc. I was selling my last car that a capable radio. They still wanted me to pay something like $6 a quarter to keep it “in case” I got another car with satellite.

Cable is next for me…….

Alex Zeller
06-25-2021, 12:39 PM
Don't come up here in the dead zone. Lots of places where there's still no cell service to make a call. Streaming while driving would be hit or miss. The problem is that being rural there's not a lot of customers which means little to no investment to change it.

Warren Lake
06-25-2021, 12:59 PM
new world Odour way of doing business. Had to deal with Telephone and propane that way for many years. Telephone do the song and dance bill drops 40-50 percent. Propane company fought then threatened them bill dropped. Dirty company so fought their level. Then had other customers of theirs, friends of mine with them, got their bills lowered. one a lawyer had his bill cut in half and he had fought them already and got no where.

You are more captive with propane than a phone company as there is a tank in your yard from that company and you cant fill with another company unless you own the tank. Im not impressed with super rich companies that are that way from the start then more so with how they do business same time buying up endless other companies as their profits are so high.

The final story is always, "what do we have to do to keep you as a customer"

End result another company has about 15 new customers and thankful for all of them. Good prices good service.

Bert Kemp
06-27-2021, 9:44 PM
I have a lot of CD's I've bought over the years. So I just downloaded all the songs I like onto my phone and they play thru my cars sound system. I have almost a 1000 songs on my phone. Plus when I want new stuff theres lots of free place to download songs and of course you can buy songs cheap also.

Jim Becker
06-27-2021, 9:49 PM
I have a lot of CD's I've bought over the years. So I just downloaded all the songs I like onto my phone and they play thru my cars sound system. I have almost a 1000 songs on my phone. Plus when I want new stuff theres lots of free place to download songs and of course you can buy songs cheap also.
My music library has been handled similarly, although it's a bit larger. I've had to do some genre playlists to deal with available space on the phone, but fortunately, the system will just download from the cloud if "next up" isn't physically on the device.

Bert Kemp
06-27-2021, 10:04 PM
Somebody asked me what my Favorite song was. I'm like come on, is it really possible to have a favorite song? Theres just so many great songs , so many different types of music . I listen to it all, I even listen to foreign music, you don't need to understand the words to appreciate the music.So I said I guess my fav song is the one I'm listening at the moment. :)

Jim Becker
06-28-2021, 8:38 AM
I agree with that Burt...with only a very few exceptions, I'll listen to any kind of music and my large library is chock full of all kinds of things. (There's a nice chunk of latino work from back when Apple gave away a lot of tunes for free download for example)

Clifford McGuire
06-28-2021, 8:59 AM
I got it free for 3 months when I had my can in for service. At the end of the 3 months, they offered a year for $6.95. When that expired, they wanted full price. I told them I don't drive that much any more and they extended it for another year at $6.95.

I like listening to the BBC and a couple music stations. But if they won't continue the discount, I'll find the BBC on Android Auto.

Stan Calow
06-30-2021, 11:59 AM
New cars don't come with CD players anymore, since apparently only old folks buy CDs these days. I listen to the news and baseball, some talk shows, and occasionally old favorites via my iPhone. When I had free trials of Sirius, I pretty much only listened to the oldies channel, so saw no need to subscribe to the whole service.

Jim Becker
06-30-2021, 3:07 PM
Stan, I have even been having trouble finding a charity that will take nearly 500 nearly pristine CDs! Our two Subarus still do have CD players, but I've ripped everything to digital and really don't want to carry around hard media to use the CD player.

Bert Kemp
06-30-2021, 3:20 PM
Stan, I have even been having trouble finding a charity that will take nearly 500 nearly pristine CDs! Our two Subarus still do have CD players, but I've ripped everything to digital and really don't want to carry around hard media to use the CD player.

Your local Library might like them, old dvds too

Cary Falk
07-03-2021, 12:47 AM
I convinced my wife to cancel her subscription after about 10 years. I got tired of the yearly dance to get a lower price. I think the lowest I got was around $60/year. We stream everything off the phone now. I don't know how that pay Howard Stern and Kevin Hart so much and stay in business. I guess some people don't know about the dance.